Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Door Mirror Casualty

CO2SLAVE

Driving in to work this morning , taking my time, minding my own business ( etc , etc) in a fairly narrow country lane with a 30mph limit and I came across a guy in a van speeding towards me already pulling out (about 100yards early because of his speed) to pass a car parked on his side of the road.

I stopped to give way and he whistled through leaving a nice 6 foot gap between him and the parked car swerved back in to his side of the road but made a poor job of it resulting in him taking pieces of my drivers side door mirror . The dufus!

Considering I was stationary at the time I was pretty gobsmacked that he didnt even slow down especially when I immediately started to reverse back to discuss the matter further. . .

Its a small country road so I think I will wait one morning and catch him to discuss how he is going to pay for it.

In the meantime does any one know what parts are available?

The mirror itself is shattered ,the mirror casing (pearl white) has a black mark which I reckon will polish out but the real problem I suspect is that the outer clear strip where the indicator repeater is has also been smashed to bits.

So ideally I want to buy the heated door mirror and the clear outer repeater which fits to the outer casing . This is in two clear pieces - an inner and outer but the inner part looks to be semi ok

Any ideas please ?

I had a speeding idiot take off my drivers side mirror on my previous Gen 2. I had to have the full mirror glass and plastic. It was not worth claiming on insurance as it was not a lot more than my excess. It cost about £210. I made the BIG mistake of telling the insurance company about it. Although I never claimed anything but it was still recorded as a claim. Never tell insurance companies about incidents if you do not intend to claim.

I wish you luck if you can get the other party in your case to pay up but I think you only have a slim chance.

As above, a wing mirror claim is never worth bothering with the insurance. At best it'll probably go 50/50 and you'll both have a claim put against you which affects your no claims bonus 'lives'.

If you had a HD dash cam you might get away with proving the other person at fault but you can guarantee that if you get one you'll never have need to use it.

Yeah its sods law isn't it , but things like this make me wonder about getting one as I do about 20K miles a year so the odds of it happening again are higher than most ,but in about 500K miles of driving over 25 years I think it has only happened a couple of times before this.

To be fair to the other guy who was in a tatty 54 reg van he may not have any damage to his mirror and just straightened it and carried on , and assumed the same applied to me , so once I bring it to his attention he may do the honourable thing . He may of course laugh in my face but if you don't ask you don't get. That is providing I get the opportunity to ask in the first place- something tells me he may changed his normal route for a while

Yeah its sods law isn't it , but things like this make me wonder about getting one as I do about 20K miles a year so the odds of it happening again are higher than most ,but in about 500K miles of driving over 25 years I think it has only happened a couple of times before this.

To be fair to the other guy who was in a tatty 54 reg van he may not have any damage to his mirror and just straightened it and carried on , and assumed the same applied to me , so once I bring it to his attention he may do the honourable thing . He may of course laugh in my face but if you don't ask you don't get. That is providing I get the opportunity to ask in the first place- something tells me he may changed his normal route for a while

Oh and thanks for the advice from you both about the insurance I wasnt going down that route but I might have fallen into the trap !

Not as bad as it could have been

I have been quoted;

Y81790-02110 lamp assy side ( this includes the clear side repeater lense ) £54.71 +VAT

Y87908-02760 Glass door mirror ( heated door mirror glass only ) £61.57 +VAT

There are people doing heated door mirror glass on eBay etc for around £20 ish

so I might go down that route

I can fit the parts myself it will only take a few minutes

Kingo can you offer anything on this?

......... Never tell insurance companies about incidents if you do not intend to claim........

I agree with the idea but you must be certain that the other party isn't going to tell their insurance, otherwise you will be in trouble for not reporting it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links