Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uk Digi Speedo (99-03) Compatibility With My Italian Yaris (99-03)?

Tommygunn

As it stands my 2003 Yaris's digital speedo will have to be completely swapped out and replaced as it cannot show MPH. Therefore, does anyone know, with any certainty, if I can take a UK speedo and simply drop it in to the dashboard and wire it up? No doubt there will be some calibration issues which the Toyota garage will have to sort out but apart from that will a UK unit be 'plug & play', so to speak?

Tom.

Wait, what?

There is a mode button in the view-tunnel thing that switches between KPH and MPH on all Mk1 Yarisisisisus! (Or so I thought... I know mine does!)

The Italian/EU Yaris does not have the function to toggle between kph and mph and if you shine a torch at the display there are only light segments for kph.

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

All done!!!

Received my 2nd hand speedo and button unit today and proceeded to install.

Plugged the speedo unit in and, oh no, main beam light and something else lit up. Turned the ignition one click then two clicks and nothing else. I thought I had blown it in more ways than one.

With nothing else to lose and my brain ticking over I suddenly thought that since the display is in reverse then maybe the wires in the plugs need to be put in reverse order.

I decided to do just the two rear plugs and leave the side plug and low and behold the display came to life. I was slightly panicked by the ABS light staying on but it turned out I had a wire out of place.

However, after fighting it into place, and having to resort to snapping off the front corner mount to allow it to pass the dashboard edge, I found out that when I indicated left I got the right hand light and when I indicated right I got the left light.

So, I had to remove the unit for about the fifth time and by tracing the lines on the printed ribbon I found which were the contacts for the indicators and swapped over the associated wires in the plugs.

Apart from going for a drive and testing against my GPS it is working perfectly.

I'm pretty pleased with myself.

Thanks,

Tom.

:lol:

Great bit of kludging! Glad you sorted it! :thumbsup:

:lol:

Great bit of kludging! Glad you sorted it! :thumbsup:

Agreed 100% on that reply, couldn't have put it better myself Cyker ...... if kludging is what I think it is. ;)

Well done Tom :thumbsup: .

Regards ... Pete.

Thanks. I'm just glad that in the end it all worked out.

Cheers,

Tom.

Well bodged.

Deserves a scrapheap challenge trophy :D

Went for a drive and it is working perfectly according to my GPS. The GPS showed about 2-3mph below what the speedo was showing in the 30, 40 and 50mph brackets. The speedo clocked 4 miles of travel which was confirmed by the GPS.

Tom.

The GPS showed about 2-3mph below what the speedo was showing in the 30, 40 and 50mph brackets.

Yep, our 'UK' Yaris is the same.