Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Wheel Wobble When Acelerating

madbritish

I have a 1997Avensis GLS (1.8i) Manual Saloon, when I go above 60mph the whole of the front of the car and steering wheel wobbles and vibrates as if the wheels are not ballanced, when I take my foot off the accelerator the vibration and wobble goes away, I took it to a garage, they said all tyres were defective and I need them replaced and they would send the old ones back for an inspection and poss refund, this I did, had 4 brand new good quality tyres and at the same time had all wheels balanced and tracking done.

BUT still have the same problem ???

Any one any ideas???

Thanks in advance

MaDbrItiSH

Something is probably out of balance. Have they really balanced your wheels properly? What was it like beforehand on the old tyres?

It could be a variety of things besides wheels/tyres but check the wheel balancing first before doing anything else.

I have the same problem with my Avensis Verso. When I decelerate the wobble stops. I have been to the tyre people I trust and had the tyres checked and tracking and balancing looked at and no problem in evidence. The wobble is still present. It is more evident in the front seats than to the rear of the car. It happens just coming up to 60 mph then every time acceleration is required after that.

It passes it's MOT and service no problem. This has been happening for over a year.

Any one else got the same problem apart from myself and "madbritish"

Front stabilizer worth checking

Yes check over the suspension, driveshafts etc for wear, broken. It may also be tracking / wheel alignment springs weak dampers, worn CV joint. Still think both your problems likely to be balancing.

• 3 months later...

I have exactly the same problem, at between 60 and 70, I pushed it to 80 + and it was smooth and fine. Had the wheels balanced but changed nothing. Been nothing but disapointed with my 2003 Avensis since I bought, never again Toyota, but too late now.

• 2 weeks later...

all cars suffer from front end wobble it just depends on how well the wheels have been balanced for the speed which the wobble occur. tread pattern can also effect the stabilty/ handling/wobble of the car my dad has an 2006 avensis and runs cheap £45 tyres and found the car would slide out on our country roads ( i dont have that problem on my 2008 avensis on goodyears) hes since changed his tyres for slighty more expensive tyres and the ride, handling has improved.

Everyone assumes it is OK to have the tyres balanced, but no one checks the disk, they get rusty and can go out of balance. Years ago some tyre places had a wheel balance checker that spun the wheels on the car

Terrible shake through the steering wheel on my Avensis at around 75mph. Had the wheels balanced by loads of different tyre fitters with no joy, but then changed the partially worn front brake discs and now everything is fine.