Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009/58 Pivoting Door Mirror Unit Problem

pattojones

This morning, having rotated the mirror housing back to fold the door mirror, the assembly/housing separated from the bracket (which is fixed to the door). Nothing seems broken but the mechanism is showing signs of heavy wear (god knows why!), but i cannot get them to re-join.

The trouble is its sunday and i am in deepest darkest dorset (i live in Bromsgrove). The wiring does not seem to unplug. Is this a whole new assembly jobbie, including removal of door card and painting, etc? Jees! I hope not! Can the various bits of a door mirror assembly be bought individually, etc. Its a T-Spirit (electric mirror) model.

Thanks for any advice.

Sounds similiar to our old one, just unfolding it like normal and the thing fell off in the Mrs hand. It was just hanging by the wires, fixed with a new one from Mr T, almost £300 fitted though....

A used green one on eBay was £150, our car was silver so not point there.

They seem to have some kind of design fault/weakness to me.

Dont cut the wires, tape it to the door and drive on.

Thing is, i've only had it a few months and i don't really want to drive around with a mirror taped up, a la steptoe & son!

Can it really be that i need replace everything (mirror housing, bracket) just 'cos the two have come apart at less-than-walking-speed impact? £300-350 for this!!?

Thing is, i've only had it a few months and i don't really want to drive around with a mirror taped up, a la steptoe & son!

Can it really be that i need replace everything (mirror housing, bracket) just 'cos the two have come apart at less-than-walking-speed impact? £300-350 for this!!?

Should i be trying to claim on my warranty for this?

I mean tape it to prevent further damage.

You can try and claim it but its a long shot. If its like ours it just seemed to go brittle and fall off on its own, the cost was a kick in the teeth. Unfortunatley there isnt a positive in this tale.

Found the bits i need for £185 -versus £250 fitted from the dealer (all include VAT)-should i give it a go?

I believe i have to take the door card off, etc. Do i need specific tools?

• 1 month later...

Can you let me know how you sourced a replacement? Both my units are broken (Not wear and tear!) buton reversing out of tight space! (2007/56 model). Thanks