Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warranty Repairs ?

Tony Barnsley

What is the usual Toyota policy concerning failures under extended warranty (12 months provided by the dealer upon purchase of an approved Toyota).

Last Friday I hit the jackpot with warmings on the Rav (Engine System , VSC System and 4X4 System warnings). The engine had started to feel lumpy, but luckily I had the day off so drove straight to the Mr T I had bought it off.

They took it into the workshop and came out about 15 minutes later having read the codes with the news that it would take about an hour or so to determine why the codes had come up. As I was due to go dahn sarf later on they said It wasn't fatal and they could reset the codes and I could have it all weekend then they would look at it today. I decided to leave it with them, and take a courtesy car.

Phone call a couple of hours later two of the injectors had 'failed' or were not working as they should, they will get to work sorting it under warranty, and swap the Aygo for an Auris for the weekend.

Had a voicemail message from them today and apparently Toyota (UK) have authorised them to send the Injectors to a place in Leeds for some purpose (Repair? Refurb?).

Is this normal practice? I was under the impression that the parts would be replaced with new and a 12 month part warranty issued. I'm going in to see the service manager tomorrow and just want to be able to know what should be done.

Cheers All

Hi Tony,

This is what I understand for warranty repairs ... the repairers have the option of using new or reconditioned parts (or repair existing ones) as they feel appropriate.

You also would not get a fresh 12 months warranty on any parts fitted under warranty, they would just inherit whatever warranty the old failed part had - plus some kind of leeway if that time was significantly short (talking weeks here rather then many months).

You would only get 12 months warranty on parts you actually buy.

My dealings with Toyota Dealers on warranty claims have been pretty good and I think they always try and do the right thing :thumbsup:

They can send them to Denso for recalibrating. They will be as new when they come back but what were the fault codes?

No idea what the fault codes were, I could have shorted out the pins, but thought I'd get it straight to the dealer, then forgot to ask whet the codes were.

Good to know that repair/recalibrate/replace are the options under the warranty though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's now 10 days since I left the Rav with the dealer. All 4 injectors were sent to Denso, and after testing they found a fault with one, which was recalibrated and they were all returned. Fitted on Monday, but there is still something "Not Quite Right" and it is "Under Further Investigation" . . . I'm just glad that this time I bought A car from a dealer with an approved warranty . . . It's also convinced me to buy an extended warranty for another couple of years.

While I can't complain about the Auris courtesy car, my back certainly is, I hadn't appreciated just how quickly the easier entry and exit from the Rav had improved my dodgy back condition.

Please Mt T Ring me and tell me that you have fixed it :cry:

Whilst we tend to think something will just be replaced, there is no legal requirement to replace old parts for new. Legally, for something covered under warranty, the manufacturer can REPAIR or REPLACE. The modern day injectors are very high tech, and are repaired and re-calibrated by the local Denso dealer, it is normal practice, and as Anchorman says, will come back, as new

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks Kingo, that in fact is what has happened . . . It's just on fitting the injectors they still have some issues to sort :( . . . I'm really impressed by the dealers approach they are great at keeping me informed as to what is going on . . . I've just put half a tank of fuel into the Auris so the Rav will probably be ready to pick up tomorrow :lol:

I think in many cases a genuine Toyota Warranty is a good investment. I was talking to somebody about an Audi this morning. He said that even a wiper motor has to be programmed into the ECU. Thank goodness we don't have that nonsense.

Thank goodness we don't have that nonsense.

Don't hold your breath Don, it will come to ALL manufacturers in the not too distant future ;)

Thank goodness we don't have that nonsense.

Don't hold your breath Don, it will come to ALL manufacturers in the not too distant future ;)

Well that's something to look forward to - NOT!!!!!.

Might as well stick some wheels and a seat on your lap-top. Modern cars seem to be turning into mobile i-Pads.

I have the Rav Back.

The initial fault was down to a dodgy injector which was refurbished.

They had to do further investigation after fitting then as the car dis not want to run smoothly

Turns out that when they took the EGR valve off they found "The Black Sludge Of Death" Basically very oily soot in the EGR valve plus in other places.

Oil Drained and topped up to the Full Mark . . . Go away and do 1000 miles and come back.

2AD Engine Problem ... . . :disgust: :disgust:

Glad it's happened now while it's still under warranty.

I have the Rav Back.

They had to do further investigation after fitting then as the car dis not want to run smoothly

Turns out that when they took the EGR valve off they found "The Black Sludge Of Death" Basically very oily soot in the EGR valve plus in other places.

Oil Drained and topped up to the Full Mark . . . Go away and do 1000 miles and come back.

Happy New Engine, Tony....and unlike Charlie, no crappy returns.....

I have the Rav Back.

Happy New Engine, Tony....and unlike Charlie, no crappy returns.....

My car has just come back from having another engine fitted...........

Yes You did read that right .. Replacement number 3 !!

The Boy had it for a while but simply didn't like the car... Said it was to big and awkward for the commute to work and Errrr Well its smoking Dad ........................... F....F......Flaming thing !!

Its now sat at the back of a Mates farm unloved and hopefully rotting FAST !!!

..............doesn't happen often....speechless....now official.....Toyota would have been cheaper giving Charlie another car FFS.

..............doesn't happen often....speechless....now official.....Toyota would have been cheaper giving Charlie another car FFS.

The cost in total for the engine replacement is under £2500. This I can absolutely back up with paperwork and invoices....

So not quite Kevin.......

The big issue here is that the last two engines have been BRAND NEW NOT REBUILT ENGINES. Just as one would get if buying a brand new 2012 Rav4.................

It is only the Turbo, Engine management system, Injectors and other ancillary parts that make My car a T180 over a 150 SR for example....

I wonder if its because I use or should I say used My car to often ?? But 3 engines in 18,000 miles is a wee but strong .....MMmmmm

The Myth that cars newer than a certain date is now shot to pieces as they are all suspect...

So why You ask am I saying this ??? Simply if I can put one single person off buying a 2.2 diesel engined car and having all agg Ive had especially now the older cars are running out of warranty then job done.....

Because We all know that once warranty has run out it will cost far more than the subsidised price in house at Toyota and very likely far more than the vehicle is worth !!!

I believe the block on a 150 is not the same as a 180 - according to the new car features in the manual.

I believe the block on a 150 is not the same as a 180 - according to the new car features in the manual.

Toyota (Dealer) and Toyota GB say they are the same....

After all as We know the engines that have needed replacing (I avoid the word failed) is not just on T180 cars its on ALL the 2.2 engined cars...

Don I appreciate Your reluctance to accept these cars are anything other than perfect but sorry its a fact the engines are hopeless and the risk of major problems is great.....

I saw another thread on here where a new Member was asking how to clean the EGR... And You told him how to do it despite knowing the code his car was displaying could be the one associated with the problems these engines have and are continuing to have !!

A clogged or blocked EGR is one of the major symptoms and should NOT be cleaned as it displays to a Dealer what is going on...

Anyway I will leave you to it............

So one car, four engines. Is it just possible that the engine ECU could be !Removed! up the engines as opposed to the engines being at fault............................