Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Hunting

simon6303

Dear all,

I am totally new to this and only started doing some research on the Prius last week as I have decided to purchase a Gen 3 Prius

I have the follow questions which I would like to ask fellow Prius owners

What to look out for when purchasing a used Prius?

What would be the fair price for a Gen 3, 2009 or 2010 which done around 30000 miles (T4 or T-Spirit)?

What would be your opinion on a T4 vs T-Spirit? How much in the used car market does the T-Spirit over the T4?

many thanks in advance for the advise....

looking forward in finding my Prius!!!

thanks

Being an early gen3 Prius owner the one thing I would say is CHECK THE WARRANTY of the car you're looking at buying.

The gen2 Prius 2004-2009 had a 100,000 mile 8 year warranty on the hybrid systems. The gen3 Prius from June 2009-July 2010 has a 60,000 mile 5 year hybrid warranty and then the gen3 Prius from July (I think - it was about that time) 2010 onwards has the 100,000 mile 5 year warranty.

If you get an early gen3 with the 60,000 mile warranty you will find it a bugger to sell on. Make sure you get a later car with the longer warranty as some items on the Prius can be very expensive to replace if they go wrong. I'm on my THIRD steering motor and the total cost of these fitted is just shy of £2,000! So far they were all under warranty but that expired at 60,000 miles (I'm now nearer 70k miles). I also needed a hybrid HV Battery ECU under warranty and that would have been about £1,500 if I'd paid for it myself.

If you see a nice 2009/early 2010 Prius make sure the Toyota dealer includes the extended warranty or look for a later model with the 100k warranty. The Prius has good reliability but there are reports of gen3 taxi's failing in places like Greece due to the heat. Reports on the US Prius forums are that Greek taxi drivers are now avoiding the gen3 but buying the older gen2 instead as they are more resilient.

From a personal point, my HV Battery is starting to show the early signs of wear and I'm only at 67,000 miles. It'll often drop to 2/8 bars on the Battery very quickly and doesn't go anywhere near as far on the electric side as it once did. It still gets great mpg's on a longer run though.

Being an early gen3 Prius owner the one thing I would say is CHECK THE WARRANTY of the car you're looking at buying.

Deffo. Gen3 from 1st July 2010 have the decent warranty. Gen3 up to then have 3 year warranty lite (but can be extended for a fee). If buying a pre 1st July 2010 gen3, make sure the dealer adds a manufacturer's extended warranty (a pukka Toyota one - not 3rd party insurance).

I'm on my THIRD steering motor and the total cost of these fitted is just shy of £2,000! So far they were all under warranty but that expired at 60,000 miles (I'm now nearer 70k miles).

I seem to recall that the gen3 T4 and Tspirit have a better steering motor and don't get this problem?

If you see a nice 2009/early 2010 Prius make sure the Toyota dealer includes the extended warranty or look for a later model with the 100k warranty.

What he said.

The Prius has good reliability but there are reports of gen3 taxi's failing in places like Greece due to the heat. Reports on the US Prius forums are that Greek taxi drivers are now avoiding the gen3 but buying the older gen2 instead as they are more resilient.

Seems to be overheating HV Battery due to fluff build up in the HV cooling fan and does seem to be mainly in Greece.

From a personal point, my HV battery is starting to show the early signs of wear and I'm only at 67,000 miles. It'll often drop to 2/8 bars on the battery very quickly and doesn't go anywhere near as far on the electric side as it once did. It still gets great mpg's on a longer run though.

I have done over 50,000 miles in my 2009 gen3 T3 (do about 20k a year) and the HV Battery is fine but I am not a taxi. A lot of my miles are long distance drives. The only problems for me are:

1. Rattles - they are everywhere :(

2. Aux power socket - kept blowing the fuse - replaced under warranty.

3. Rear view pretty poor - I fitted a backup camera to help.

4. Damn toyota seat belts that lock when fully extended <Grrr>

5. FM radio reception is poor

Other than that it has been brilliant.

Things to watch out for:-

Servicing - has it got the right oil (0w20)?

Tyres - keep them pumped up otherwise mpgs plummet

Tyres2 - they are low rolling resistance tyres

- if buying used gen3, check that LRRs are fittted

- when you replace make sure you get LRRs

- the T4, Tspirit low profile ones are pricey

Mpgs will go down in winter and up in summer - dont panic

Don't jump start other vehicles.

Don't let anyone jump start you unless they 100% know what they are doing.

I think the T Spirit is the best option and in leather if possible. My son has just purchased a very good condition 2010 Gen 3 T Spirit in Leather and other extras for £16,000. It had done 15,000 miles. He purchased from a Toyota dealer so it had full service history etc. The Prius is very reliable. There were lots of complaints about rattles on the early Gen 3s. I have a 2011 model and have had no rattles on normal roads. My son has had no problems with his car at all. Minor scratches on his car were all sorted prior to purchase.

Good Gen 3 low mileage cars are available it just finding them. Only buy privately if you know the owner and the history of the car. Hope you find a good car.

Thanks guys...

I am going to arrange a viewing on a 09 Prius later this week.

Does anyone of you know how much would be the extended warranty? Can the extended warranty be extended after 5 years?

I did test drive a 59 plate Prius last weekend from Toyota dealer and the first thing I felt was the rattles which I thought there are something wrong with the car! So it seems to be a common features that comes with the Prius!!

Be super careful with any warranty. It must be a Toyota one as many after market insurance type warranties might not provide the cover you'd expect for a hybrid (read that as exclude things)! I understand the cost for a Toyota warranty is about £1,000 but others will confirm as many on here have enquired.

You're aware of the rattles which was fixed in later cars (2011 onwards it appears). Erm, if the car you're buying needs jump starting ensure that the 12v is replaced or you'll enjoy various electrical gremlins for the next 6 months. To cut a long explanation short, the 12v doesn't crank the engine so is 'weak' compared to other cars. As such, diagnosing it correctly as failed is hit and miss - even by Toyota dealers and their special gizmo. Check previous threads on here for such issues.

1, Check warranty and ensure you get a Totota extended one (assuming you want the peace of mind)

2, If the 12v has ever been dead get it changed (about £100)

3, Low Rolling Resistance tyres and correct pressures are VERY important if you want good fuel economy (sad but true)

4, The gen3 Prius MUST use expensive 0w20 oil or you will not get great mpg's. Some dealers try and skimp on this.

5, If you listen to the radio whilst the Mrs is out shopping leave the car in the' Ready' mode not 'Acc 'as you would in a normal car. This stops the 12v getting low and also means you can have the a/c running without the engine being on.

6, Don't EVER jump start another car with your Prius - EVER or you'll be sorry.

7, The a/c makes a horrendous buzzing noise outside the car when first turned on on a hot day - this is NORMAL don't worry.

8, Enjoy it - I went for a drive this aft doing about 40 miles and averaged 64 mpg for the journey. I'd have got 75 mpg if I'd tried. It really does do what it says on the tin (unless you hammer it of course).

Does anyone of you know how much would be the extended warranty? Can the extended warranty be extended after 5 years?

Extended warranty price seems to vary a bit but budget for £700 to £1000 for 2 years. Extended warranty also includes Club Toyota membership for free.

You can extend up to 10 years/100,000 miles.

http://www.toyota.co...erSalesWarranty

Have you considered a late Gen 2? I bought my 59 reg Gen 2 T-Spirit at the start of this year for £11k, with 17k on the clock. The cheapest 59 reg Gen 3 equivalent I could find was £15k, and 30k miles. Seemed like a no-brainer to buy the Gen 2 - even before I learnt of the warranty problems!

Have you considered a late Gen 2? I bought my 59 reg Gen 2 T-Spirit at the start of this year for £11k, with 17k on the clock. The cheapest 59 reg Gen 3 equivalent I could find was £15k, and 30k miles. Seemed like a no-brainer to buy the Gen 2 - even before I learnt of the warranty problems!

I've got a Gen 3 and SWMBO has a Gen 2 and I would go for the late Gen 2 over the Gen 3, Gen 2 feels more solid and is more responsive and is quieter (no rattles and less road noise) than the Gen 3, the only downside is the cornering is not as good on the Gen 3. The Gen 3 is supposed to be more economical but I've heard on the forums of many Gen 2 owners that achieve nearly the same as the Gen 2. Fuelly reports about 3-4 mpg less on the Gen 2.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links