Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Elderly Yaris - 2012 Update

Madasafish

I wrote about my son's elderly Yaris in previous posts:

http://www.toyotaown...is&fromsearch=1

Well after new brake pads and cleaning the MAF sensor (the first two topics above), late last year the Yaris sprung an exhaust leak at the front of the catalytic convertor - which apart from making a noise illuminated the engine warning light.

I mended the hole (it's the original cat - 11 years' old) with GunGum exhaust paste and reset the warning light and all was well until April. Then the warning light came on again with the code "cataylst ineffective"... Reset the code - and it came on again. I read elsewhere that the silica in exhaust pastes poisons the cat.. the cheapest type approved cat is c £130 on eBay... Oops.

So in the true spirit of all bodgers, I tried a bodge and used Cataclean for the first time.. Followed the instructions to the letter, reset the warning light and so far it works. If it works to the MOT in August it will be worth the £12 on eBay. Other than that, big spend!

Son complained car was unstable in the wet in May. tried it myself (in dry) felt OK, swapped worn front tyres (3mm) to rear and rears to front (5mm). No change.."Have you kerbed it?" .. "Oh no".. Well lets get the tracking checked free by ATS...

After the tracking was checked - all to pot and sorted for £31.99 - it was about 6 degrees out but not much tyre wear - son comments " I must stop driving onto kerbs to park!"..

Drives perfectly now..

More to come I suspect on the catalyst.. Will the bodge work for the MOT?

Watch this space for the next unexciting instalment...

I wrote about my son's elderly Yaris in previous posts:

http://www.toyotaown...is&fromsearch=1

Well after new brake pads and cleaning the MAF sensor (the first two topics above), late last year the Yaris sprung an exhaust leak at the front of the catalytic convertor - which apart from making a noise illuminated the engine warning light.

I mended the hole (it's the original cat - 11 years' old) with GunGum exhaust paste and reset the warning light and all was well until April. Then the warning light came on again with the code "cataylst ineffective"... Reset the code - and it came on again. I read elsewhere that the silica in exhaust pastes poisons the cat.. the cheapest type approved cat is c £130 on ebay... Oops.

So in the true spirit of all bodgers, I tried a bodge and used Cataclean for the first time.. Followed the instructions to the letter, reset the warning light and so far it works. If it works to the MOT in August it will be worth the £12 on ebay. Other than that, big spend!

Son complained car was unstable in the wet in May. tried it myself (in dry) felt OK, swapped worn front tyres (3mm) to rear and rears to front (5mm). No change.."Have you kerbed it?" .. "Oh no".. Well lets get the tracking checked free by ATS...

After the tracking was checked - all to pot and sorted for £31.99 - it was about 6 degrees out but not much tyre wear - son comments " I must stop driving onto kerbs to park!"..

Drives perfectly now..

More to come I suspect on the catalyst.. Will the bodge work for the MOT?

Watch this space for the next unexciting instalment...

Use Quiksteel to repair the catalyst.

Regards Geoff Peace,

Thanks for the tip Geoff. Looks a very useful product so bought a stick in case of emergencies.

Update:

Used Cataclean as per instructions, Son drove around 15 miles with 1/4 fuel in tank then filled up. Reset warning light and so far it has not come back on again. So at first glance Cataclean does what it claims.

MOT due soon. Will update if /when it passes.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Engine warning light on again. More rust holes in catalyst. Tried repair with Quick Steel.. Hole blocked OK but engine warning light kept on coming on - same message each time.

Reset it several times. And this am .. just before MOT. Failed MOT on catalyst!

One new catalyst and MOT cost son £191 + pence.

It was after all 11 years old with >110k miles and a lot of abuse in the past.

how is the gear change? mine is a bit notchy or resistance felt in the lever - i suspect its the linkage mechanism / box that the cables connect to under the console.

Gearchange is fine. I changed the gearbox oil when son bought it : at c 93k miles.

• 1 month later...

sorted mine, i took the handbrake console out and greased all limkage points and the "ball cup" that the gear stick sits in, also lubricated the rods/cables and the eye ends in the engine bay.

silky smooth now.

Thanks.

If it ever gets to be an issue, I'll do as you did.

• 1 year later...

Update 2014

Passed its MOT this morning with no advisories.. Done 135,898 miles now. (2001 Y reg)

Work in last year included new anti roll bar bushes and links at front and new Battery (both ex ECP).

For MOT, new front wipers and 1 new sidelight bulb (the first bulb ever replaced iirc)

After passing, changed oil (5-30W synthetic ex Halfords £10.00 offer) plus Halfords oil and air filters. 25 minutes.

As usual, keeps running, sounds OK although the silver bodywork is a bit battered and bruised and the metal under the rear bumper has seen better days.

It's a banger but it does 40 miles a day round trip commuting to work with no issues.

• Like 2

Wooo! Should be called the Yaris Invincible! :lol:

• 3 months later...

Later Update December 2014.

It's now getting a bit of a concern. Youngest son who owns it has decided to spend some proper money on a newer Yaris: looking at 20111/12 model Yarises.. lots for sale with pre Xmas discounts..

So it seems like we are likely to pension it off.. or scrap it or sell it for peanuts.

Anyone want for cheap cheap MOT till mid 2015.. rather battered but goes well...? :dontgetit:

I

Well he has bought a 2012 Yaris 1.3 SR with FSH and 27k miles. It's winter so it was cheap.Metallic paint so looks nice.

Now to get rid of his old car.

Anyone want a 2001 1.0 Yaris well serviced, high miles, 7 months MOT, good tyres and Battery, bit battered but runs well. for £200?

Phew! For a moment I thought you were flogging the D4D!!! :eek::lol:

Well he has bought a 2012 Yaris 1.3 SR with FSH and 27k miles. It's winter so it was cheap.Metallic paint so looks nice.

Now to get rid of his old car.

Anyone want a 2001 1.0 Yaris well serviced, high miles, 7 months MOT, good tyres and battery, bit battered but runs well. for £200?

mate i'll be interested. Whats the mileage and body condition? Has it been in a accident, what do you mean by 'battered'

Sorry . It was sold for scrap yesterday...(To an internet based scrap dealer who breaks cars and sells over the internet only).