Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashboard Issues Please Help

MadKM

Hi All,

Again I apologies if this has already been posted but I could not find the topic.

The problem I have is that the individual symbols for the headlights (dip beam, side lights and front fog lights) do not light up in the dash/instrument panel when the lights are turned on.

(Please note that the actual headlight/fog lights do work just the light on the dash/instrument panel are not working)

My question is what could be the cause? They worked fine before and have suddenly stopped working.

I have checked all the fuses.

If it is a matter of replacing the bulbs in the dash/instrument panel how do I go about doing this?

Take the instrument pannel out and replace non-working lihgt bulbs, with ones you know work. Easiest way, taking instrument pannel out of dashboard is really simple:

1. pull the plastic cover that runs from ignition switch over the steering wheel to the instrument light dimmer, three clips on each side, just pull it off gently

2. unscrew 2 screws on the bottom of the next level cover, 2 are on the top as well, remove the cover

3. now you are looking at the instrument pannel, unscrew 2 screws at the bottom and 2 at the top, now instrument pannel should come right out

Note: before you tamper with light bulbs, I'd suggest you uplug all the connectors at the back of the instrument pannel (three of them), just to be sure you do not short-ciruit anything

If you want, you can replace light bulbs with LEDs, three big ones (size T10) illuminate the instruments, and a bunch of smaller ones (size T5) are used for the rest of indication (this might vary from US / UK / JAP models).

Got a half an hour of work and $10-20 for new LEDs, real simple, doing the same to my ST this weekend.

Take the instrument pannel out and replace non-working lihgt bulbs, with ones you know work. Easiest way, taking instrument pannel out of dashboard is really simple:

1. pull the plastic cover that runs from ignition switch over the steering wheel to the instrument light dimmer, three clips on each side, just pull it off gently

2. unscrew 2 screws on the bottom of the next level cover, 2 are on the top as well, remove the cover

3. now you are looking at the instrument pannel, unscrew 2 screws at the bottom and 2 at the top, now instrument pannel should come right out

Note: before you tamper with light bulbs, I'd suggest you uplug all the connectors at the back of the instrument pannel (three of them), just to be sure you do not short-ciruit anything

If you want, you can replace light bulbs with LEDs, three big ones (size T10) illuminate the instruments, and a bunch of smaller ones (size T5) are used for the rest of indication (this might vary from US / UK / JAP models).

Got a half an hour of work and $10-20 for new LEDs, real simple, doing the same to my ST this weekend.

Thanks for that.

Would you mind taking and post up a few pictures of this procedure when you change the bulbs in your car? I want to change the bulbs this weekend, but I want to see exactly what to do, and which bulbs to get. It's still a bit confusing as there seem to be different versions of the T5 and T10 bulbs on eBay.

As for the light bulbs... I have no idea on their variations. As far as I know (i ordered both T10 and T5 LEDs at a local store, but just went out of stock, so my installation moved to next weekend). Basically I just ordered the cheapest white T10 LED light bulbs (3€ for a pair), others ranged up to 20€ per set. As for the white T5 LEDs there was only one choice (4€ for pack of 5).

So I ordered 4 T10 LEDs and 20 T5 LEDs, more than enough for instrument pannel, but since I want to replace all the interior lightning, I'm afraid I didn't order enough. As far as I know, heater unit removal is a !Removed!, so I'm not taking it out just to count the LEDs :D