Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Head Gasket Gone At 50K, New Engine Inbound

Crasstoe

So I take my car in for its 50k service to be told that the small leak in the waterpump (I was informed about at my last service, but they said would not be an issue) had dumped all my coolant, and my engine had blown the head gasket after getting a tad warm... the end result is a new engine is to be fitted, along with a new waterpump, and the 50k service to be carried out on top.

Toyota are paying for the engine - apparently a common fault on the D4D engines.

I am having 2 new front tyres, 2 new front brake disks and a set of new pads all round fitted along with the service, and the overall cost is circa. £400.

Anybody else had a similar experience with their head gasket blowing at only 50k? Personally I think this is ridiculous for a diesel, and if I have a single issue with the new engine it will be the last Toyota I buy in a long time!

at least they paying for the engine. i asked toyota if my car had extented warranty on my engine and they said NO. is that ***** bull?

Out of interest Were you not running a tuning box? if so would that explain a headgasket problem

There was plenty of discussion on HG failures on this forum, mostly the 2.2's had this problem. Yes Toyota have been honouring HG failures up to now, kind of an unwritten waranty guarantee after the Normal 3 year one runs out.

All D4D engines have a 5 year, 100k warranty covering Head Gasket failure - that is what my dealer has said.

I have been running a Tuning Box since I bought the car, and I can quite comfortably say that a Tuning Box is not the cause of the Water Pump failure which has lead to the Head Gasket failure. Toyota have confirmed the Water Pump is the root cause of this problem, along with a poor design for the Head Gasket.

Ok hope you get it sorted.. As I thought the 2.0 D4D were good engines in terms of reliabilty in comparison to the 2.2 headgaskets, were there no early signs of say the temp gauge rising or coolant loss to identify the water pump leaking?

They hinted at its service 9 months ago (20,000 miles ago) that there was a slow drip from the waterpump, but said "it shouldn't be a problem so no need to look at it now". There own fault really.

Temp guage hasn't moved which leads me to question the accuracy of the temp gauge - it goes from cold to running temp in 5 mins every time and that is that.

Toyota have, as I said before, confirmed that ALL D4D Engines are subject to the same design flaw and are vulnerable to headgasket failure, now that includes the 3.0 in the Hilux, the 2.2 and 2.0 in the Auris and Avensis, and the new revised 1.4... although the 1.4 being revised is significantly less likely to suffer however the risk (and extended warranty on the engine) is still there.

Toyota have, as I said before, confirmed that ALL D4D Engines are subject to the same design flaw and are vulnerable to headgasket failure, now that includes the 3.0 in the Hilux, the 2.2 and 2.0 in the Auris and Avensis, and the new revised 1.4... although the 1.4 being revised is significantly less likely to suffer however the risk (and extended warranty on the engine) is still there.

afaik the warranty for the HG on the potentially affected 2.0 & 2,2 D4D is for 112k or 7 years & at least on the Avensis the bulletin only covered production up to & incl. February 2009.

& iirc it's also more likely that the HG going caused the water pump to leak than the other way around.

It could work either way, a HG failure can push out the seal on the waterpump, or water leaking can cause the engine to overheat and warp, breaking the HG seal (which is what Toyota have told me has happened in this case).

I am only quoting what I was told. For all I care as long as I get a car back that works (and now has another warranty on the new engine) I couldn't care less, as if it fails again I shall simply have it repaired under warranty again.

cool... no need to worry about it then if toyota are covering the cost for head gasket failure.

The little 2012 1.3 Yaris I have been given as a courtesy car is useless. The only good thing about it is the reversing camera!

I wish they wouldn't use the term "reversing camera" , "rear view camera" would be better.

What's the betting most people rely solely on the camera when reversing? A check with the camera first, then use the good old eyes over the shoulders!

The lines in gives you are brilliant for parallel and bay parking, outside of that I prefer the mirrors and look over the shoulder (motorbike rider at heart)!

Looking over ones shoulder is good,but a my age i find my neck and shoulders are not as flexible and wearing glasses does not at all helpful.

Mirrors can leave blind spots speceally with the wide C pillers of cars these days

I find ive lost a bit of confidence when backing up.

Think maybe should leave driving to the wife, Then i hink again, not bl**dy likely..

She only ever uses the interior rear view mirror.

Hi I had a Toyota auris d4d tr on a 57 plate. It spent most of it's life in the Toyota garage. I had about 4 courtesy cars. Mine was still under manufactures warranty. First the rear wheel bearing needed replacing. Then a few months later when we had the bad snow My diesel refused to start in the mornings. The car went back to Mr T. Mr t diagnosed that the head gasket will need replacing and all the injector and stated that is a common problem with the Toyota auris. Then it was due for Mot which was done by Mr T then the Turbo was on it way out.the car had only done 55000 miles. I am afraid since that I got rid of it. I will never ever buy another Toyota auris.

Do any of you know if the Auris are built in different places?

UK/Japan/Turkey etc and imported to the UK? Some seem better than others...

Mine is on 75k owned it for two years, carrying out annualy full service havent had any issues thank God!

Other than squeaky brakes. I have actually considered buying the 2.2 but Im worried about the head gasket.

All UK spec 5 door Auris are built at Burnaston , the 3 door is built in Turkey.Some Auris are built in Japan but not for our market.

. I have actually considered buying the 2.2 but Im worried about the head gasket.

it shouldn't be a problem on recent production.

Having said that as I'm no longer doing enough mileage for fuel economy savings to cancel out the extra upfront cost of a diesel & I want to avoid turbos, DPFs etc. I'm planning on going back to petrol next time.

Have to agree much less worry owning a petrol car. Have to admit having driven a few high powered diesels now the torque experience is much more relaxing and effortless on hills etc then having to drive hard to keep pace with traffic in an ordinary Naturally aspirated engine. The 2.2 is something I havent tried yet dont know how it compares with a 123d 1 Series they are very quick for a diesel anyway. Sorry to go off topic.

With Toyota and BMWs new partnership I can't wait for a BMW 320d Engine to be coupled with the Hybrid Drivetrain from the Auris... would be something special!

Well I now have my car back... and what a difference! The new engine runs like silk, no flat spots and a good 5mpg more at all speeds than the old engine. Responds really well to the tuning box, even the Toyota Tech asked where I got it from (he wants one!).

Overall well done Mr.T for a job well done, now to begin the laborious task of getting my V5 updated with the new engine number!

What's this tuning box you have fitted...my Toyota garage said they would void the warranty if I had the engine modded...mine is a D4D1.4 TR and at 40.000 miles it is running superb with 60mpg combined...

http://www.racechip.de/

Can't rate it enough, however I have not compared the results to that of Kingo's Tuning Box, a lot of Forum Members swear by it!

Toyota didn't even try to point the finger at the box, as they confirm it is a design flaw from initial manufacture. Had they tried to argue I would point out that no amount of extra oomph from the turbo/fuelling would lead to the waterpump leaking with overheating causing the popped headgasket to be the end result.

If you do decide to get a box, and your garage is a little iffy with piggyback boxes, then my advice would be to remove the box before each service. It only takes 30 seconds (much like the installation) and from what I can tell cannot be traced.

What's this tuning box you have fitted...my Toyota garage said they would void the warranty if I had the engine modded...mine is a D4D1.4 TR and at 40.000 miles it is running superb with 60mpg combined...

Not quite sure why you'd want a tuning box if your car's running that well ? The main reason owners of the bigger diesels choose to get one is for better MPG, but it also offers the side benefit of even more torque.

Buck hit the nail on the head. The right settings can mean both extra torque and smoother running, giving improved MPG when cruising in all engines, but I'm not sure what impact it would have on the 1.4...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links