Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Upgrading 3Zzfe To1Zzfe

phatali

SWEEEEEETTTT!

Yeah best way is to just let it do what it wants, it will eventually realise wait a min im actually ok!

Good news that!

Hmm ok I havnt tried the combo you have running at the moment i might try it see what it is like.

Well i have had it fitted for almost 800 miles now and up untill tuesday night the engine check light hadn't come back on. BUTTTT the reason for it coming back on is that i took it off to replace the injector seals then stupidly I drove it with no effin MAF. I got that cleared but then it came back on again. What you gotta remember is that I am still running the 3zz inlet pipe!! I have a celica 1zz one on order aswell as the D900. So i hope tomorrow i can answer your qn fully. It does use maybe a bit more fuel but it may be due to me taking it to the limit lol ooops. I think with the 1zz injectors it will be better though dude.

Also I replaced the grommet that sits in the block with the celica ones. I noticed my corolla ones were pretty ripped up. It could be due to the 1zz injectors being ever so slightly wider. But with the celica grommets they sit perfect. Also got a qn the 3zz injectors had a rubber 'spacer' so they sat a certain distance from the fuel rail. Now both the 1zz injectors from avensis and celica did not have this. I tried it out but to me it seemed not to fit as snug as the 3zz.....did you use these?

LOL im currently fitting the 1zz injectors as we speak! Oh and doing the last finishing touches to make it look oem ;)

No code come up on mine when using the 1zz injectors. Ill see the difference in the next week or so now :)

Re the rubber spacer. My 3zz ones didnt have this nor did the 1zz ones on the celica rail :-/ i did however fit the 3zz o rings (red) to the 1zz injectors as it fitted the rail much better for some reason...

SWEEEEEETTTT!

Yeah best way is to just let it do what it wants, it will eventually realise wait a min im actually ok!

Good news that!

Hmm ok I havnt tried the combo you have running at the moment i might try it see what it is like.

Well i have had it fitted for almost 800 miles now and up untill tuesday night the engine check light hadn't come back on. BUTTTT the reason for it coming back on is that i took it off to replace the injector seals then stupidly I drove it with no effin MAF. I got that cleared but then it came back on again. What you gotta remember is that I am still running the 3zz inlet pipe!! I have a celica 1zz one on order aswell as the D900. So i hope tomorrow i can answer your qn fully. It does use maybe a bit more fuel but it may be due to me taking it to the limit lol ooops. I think with the 1zz injectors it will be better though dude.

Also I replaced the grommet that sits in the block with the celica ones. I noticed my corolla ones were pretty ripped up. It could be due to the 1zz injectors being ever so slightly wider. But with the celica grommets they sit perfect. Also got a qn the 3zz injectors had a rubber 'spacer' so they sat a certain distance from the fuel rail. Now both the 1zz injectors from avensis and celica did not have this. I tried it out but to me it seemed not to fit as snug as the 3zz.....did you use these?

LOL im currently fitting the 1zz injectors as we speak! Oh and doing the last finishing touches to make it look oem ;)

No code come up on mine when using the 1zz injectors. Ill see the difference in the next week or so now :)

Re the rubber spacer. My 3zz ones didnt have this nor did the 1zz ones on the celica rail :-/ i did however fit the 3zz o rings (red) to the 1zz injectors as it fitted the rail much better for some reason...

HAHA, ok cool! Yeah i think my problem is the intake pipe!

Hmm now that is wierd. yeah the avensis and corolla o rings were a diff parrt number. I fitted the avensis but have also got new corolla ones just incase. post a pic up of your OEM lol

Yes stick the celica pipe on it and i think itll be fine :thumbsup:

The avensis and celica 1zz inlet and throttle body are different mate. I have a 4mm vacuum line where the lowest bolt goes through the inlet to the block - which you avensis doesnt have from your photos. The celica tb has a different heating design in the throttle body being the only two differences.

Right i have fitted the 1zz injectors back in, started her up and she idled at 1k, so alittle bit higher. Went for a little drive then and there is a noticable difference in power under 3k, it pulls better in higher gears too. Above 4k i dont think theres any difference between the two injectors. This was as soon as i drove it, there are some flat spots which im sure now over the next 200 miles will clear and hopefully therell be some more gains to be had out of it once the ecu reconfigures to the 1zz injectors.

Anyway heres the pictures :D

9F9BA856-1BB9-4E35-A01B-586E855FECDE-10661-0000110E8EB7C34A.jpg

67470EE1-2B9B-4767-8468-6085B06833DB-10661-0000110E7803B082.jpg

D0DAA455-446F-44CA-A6A0-6DD89A4C51FB-10661-0000110E88A32F3E.jpg

2864BF38-EC33-44E3-93BB-599B628EE8B5-10661-0000110E7F0A6628.jpg

Wish id done this a LONG time ago :D

Also dude i was looking at older posts and you said that the 2zz is a straight swop but a headache for wiring it up. like if the ECU was bought with the keys and the loom would it be pretty major to sort that out?

Didnt see this,

The vvli engine need signals from abs pump to stop it going into limp home mode which i dont think the E11 is compatible with.

Youd need the whole ecu, egnition barrel, alarm modual and keys to get past the imobiliser anyway. I got lost looking at the wiring diagrams and wrote the idea off.

It is possible as everything, theres a vvtli engine gone into a 20v levin on the irish site, but its running a aftermarket ecu.

Tbh for the price youd spend on a 2zz motor alone, you could turbo your 3zz for the same amount and see 250-300bhp. Its something im looking at myself for mine.

1zz crank £100

Forged pistons £400

Forged rods £400

Arp head bolts £150

Turbo manifold £80

T28 turbo £300

Front mount intercooler £200

Either a fuel programer (apexi would be my choise) or aftermarket ecu. £200-1000.

Exhaust £300

2zz motors go for around £1500 as a bare engine :o

Now it will run good. Il post a pic of the spacer i was on about.

Looks very nice and clean dude good work. But i do spot the throttle cable is fitted diff to my avensis and 3zz TB.

The vac holes were in diff places to yours yea but i didnt have any extra so that was all well.

If the TB are slight bit different the intake width is same right....72mm?

Also the plate that holds the fat coolant pipe, did it fit back on?

And regarding the 2zz your right that really does sound like a headache! Turbo 3zz however hmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol

Looks very nice and clean dude good work. But i do spot the throttle cable is fitted diff to my avensis and 3zz TB.

The vac holes were in diff places to yours yea but i didnt have any extra so that was all well.

And regarding the 2zz your right that really does sound like a headache! Turbo 3zz however hmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol

Im guessing you mean the spacer that holds the fuel rail and the bolt goes into? Yes i kept the standard corolla ones as i didnt get the ones off the celica.

If you look at the 3zz and 1zz injectors they are the same length as each other as a whole but the top part of the 1zz where it goes into the fuel rail is shorter - so it sits flush with the fuel rail. The 3zz ones have a rubber spacer on them to match that gap. If you put them side by side youll know what i mean ;) ive reused the 3zz o rings again on the 1zz injectors and they have sealed properally. When i used the 1zz o rings, they leaked like hell!

I used the celica throttle spindle in the end, which sits at a 90deg angle compared to the 3zz one. I could swop it back to the 3zz one i modified to fit but id also have to modify the corolla throttle cable holder (needs a chunk cut out of it with an angle grinder) to get it to fit the 1zz throttle body. So i choose to use the celica spindle with celica throttle cable bracket and put the corolla throttle cable onto it. Yes the celicas is 72mm too :)

No the bracket for the water pipe wont fit the 1zz inlet as the holes for the bracket are closer together than the 3zz one, and it also fouls the 6mm vacuum hose at the back too as its in a different place to the 3zz one. Incidently the celica throttle cable bracket sits proud and has a grove in it which the waterpipe sits nicely in - thats why mines sitting higher than yours by the pictures as its being supported by this. If you look at mine i had to cut out a waterpipe shape out of the engine cover to get it to fit again ;)

The celica inlet has one 4mm vacuum hose more than the avensis and 3zz manifolds. Ive used a 6-4-6 T piece reducer to tap it back into the vacuum hoses that sit after the throttle body.

Thanks for the kind words, it does actually look like its suppose to be like that from factory. Yours looks a much easier way/oem way of doing it! If i was to do this again, id recommend people to go for the avensis intake and TB as its very simular to the original 3zz intake looking at your pics. But as always i found the one that needed alot of messing around to fit :rolleyes:

I miss my old turbos so bad now, dying to have some boost back in my life again!

Im guessing you mean the spacer that holds the fuel rail and the bolt goes into? Yes i kept the standard corolla ones as i didnt get the ones off the celica.

If you look at the 3zz and 1zz injectors they are the same length as each other as a whole but the top part of the 1zz where it goes into the fuel rail is shorter - so it sits flush with the fuel rail. The 3zz ones have a rubber spacer on them to match that gap. If you put them side by side youll know what i mean ;) ive reused the 3zz o rings again on the 1zz injectors and they have sealed properally. When i used the 1zz o rings, they leaked like hell!

I used the celica throttle spindle in the end, which sits at a 90deg angle compared to the 3zz one. I could swop it back to the 3zz one i modified to fit but id also have to modify the corolla throttle cable holder (needs a chunk cut out of it with an angle grinder) to get it to fit the 1zz throttle body. So i choose to use the celica spindle with celica throttle cable bracket and put the corolla throttle cable onto it. Yes the celicas is 72mm too :)

No the bracket for the water pipe wont fit the 1zz inlet as the holes for the bracket are closer together than the 3zz one, and it also fouls the 6mm vacuum hose at the back too as its in a different place to the 3zz one. Incidently the celica throttle cable bracket sits proud and has a grove in it which the waterpipe sits nicely in - thats why mines sitting higher than yours by the pictures as its being supported by this. If you look at mine i had to cut out a waterpipe shape out of the engine cover to get it to fit again ;)

The celica inlet has one 4mm vacuum hose more than the avensis and 3zz manifolds. Ive used a 6-4-6 T piece reducer to tap it back into the vacuum hoses that sit after the throttle body.

Thanks for the kind words, it does actually look like its suppose to be like that from factory. Yours looks a much easier way/oem way of doing it! If i was to do this again, id recommend people to go for the avensis intake and TB as its very simular to the original 3zz intake looking at your pics. But as always i found the one that needed alot of messing around to fit :rolleyes:

I miss my old turbos so bad now, dying to have some boost back in my life again!

I meant the rubber spacer on each of the 3zz injectors. You are right i found that the 1zz don't need these either. But dude the grommet that sits in the block did you check them. If i was you do about 500 miles then pop the injectors out and inspect them grommets. As i say mine were not good. In fact im suprised fuel had actually been going into engine lol.

So the celica ones went in.

Right ok so your coolent pipe sits much higher. Well you deffo done a good job in cutting the engine cover!!

I agree, i think the avensis inlet is probably the easiest option as there was not much difference. Lol dude you got to turbo it...so then i know what to do too!!

I didnt get the block to injector spacers - i did notice the 1zz ones were a bit of a bugger to get in compared to the 3zz ones but mine were fine. Maybe you pinched them when fitting the 1zz inectors?

I used a little rotary tool with a cutting disc to do the engine cover - came out lovely :D

From that photo your intake looks like the standard 3zz one?! (i know its not as it says avensis on it :P)

Mine sits much further out than that and at an angle facing more towards the front of the car...??

I know its a poor pic to refrence against but if you look at where the throttle body sits against the waterpipe and radiator, youll see how much further out mine sticks out...

995F5F7C-B0A5-4DC4-9DD7-CA31CEFD7537-7609-00000CE1ACC8F94B.jpg

Dont get me wrong, i had to push it in towards the TB alittle to get it to fit but that looks miles off!!

I did cut the square block sat on the outlet of the airbox to get the pipe to sit further up but it only allows it to do so by max 1cm...?!?

Is the celica pipe a very tight fit on the TB as from that pic it looks to be smaller? Its a tight squeeze on mine?

Incidently my cars developed a very slight misfire between 1-2k and splutters when you floor it before it goes off like a rocket, which may see me reverting back to the 3zz injectors if this continues. Ill do this after running it for another 150 miles or so to make sure its not the ecu reseting itself. Im not seeing any improvements over 4k and theres a massive flat spot just before 5k that it didnt have on the 3zz injectors. Oh and the petrol consumption has complety gone to pot...!

Modifying.... The joys. But it makes me love the car even more when it fights me :D

Oh and i have a solution to the 6700 rpm limmit. Ive got some new parts coming so ill use my engine as a test bed for you guys as well... I simply dont care if it blows up on me :D Gives me more reason to dump a 3sgte engine in there if it does :rolleyes:

likey on the rev limiter :)

Itll mean soldering a new chip to the ecu but thats not too hard to do with a steady hand.

What 1zz inlet are you running dude?

I have to go back to the 3zz intake pipe. You are right the inlet does look smaller in that pic!!

I think i may need to go down the custom root. 70mm wide right angle pipe will do the trick me thinks.

Hmmm wierd how you are getting these flat spots n stuff. Yea just run it for a bit.

If you can find a way of increasing rev range that would be wicked!!!

likey on the rev limiter :)

Itll mean soldering a new chip to the ecu but thats not too hard to do with a steady hand.

What 1zz inlet are you running dude?

Sweet! That would be no probs for me....i do that every other day lol

looking at that pic it almost looks like that intake is from a 3zz... did you compare the stock one and the "new" one? cause the 1zz manifoil should be a fair bit larger

looking at that pic it almost looks like that intake is from a 3zz... did you compare the stock one and the "new" one? cause the 1zz manifoil should be a fair bit larger

Which ones on your car dude? Avensis/celica/mr2??

Top man. Thanks for the ideas dude. Im wanting to keep the orig air box so think a 90 deg elbow would do?

Yea the clearance is very minimal and yup the size difference is correct. Phew lol. Thanks man :)

Right, done 300 miles on the 1zz injectors and it was still spluttering when flooring it, missing at 1-2000 revs and flat at 5000rpms. So i said enoughs enough, time to put the 3zz injectors back in.

Popped the fuel rail off and this greated me.

08FDF11C-55C4-47AB-BD65-9B9FAE90E79D-2668-000005B2C3240FA1_zps51a26c3e.jpg

F0475321-D001-41FF-A864-6777EF12AE83-2668-000005B2BA7C311E_zpsa146fe3f.jpg

Yup, 2 of the 4 injector to block rubber spacers have split and the broken part is sat right over the injector. So neither would have had a good spray pattern at all. Gave toyota a quick call and replaced the lot and the cars fine on the 1zz injectors now :rolleyes:

For anyone whos going to do this conversion - pull the rubber spacers out of the cylinder head and place them on the injectors first and then install the lot in the head. I found this much easier and that way, you wont damage them :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links