Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Side Mouldings Yay Or Nay

Declan Mayock

im sick of the car being bashed by other peoples doors and shopping trolleys and was wondering on side mouldings, i have seen them before but in the black non painted state which looked horrible, i tried a google image search but cant find a decent no brochure picture of colour coded side mouldings does anyone have a picture, im afraid it will take the sleak look away from the car

Hi Declan, I know your quandry with regards to door dents at the supermarkets, you only have to sit in your car for for short while and observe others getting out of their cars with no regard to other peoples cherished property, some park so close that there is no way they can get out of their car without doing some damage, however on my last car (Corolla) I had the full colour match body protection fitted, I may as well not bothered, the side bump strips were continually getting knocked and it looked a mess with all the repair touch up paint, my present car (Auris) I had the wide black plastic bump strips fitted and even these get knocked but at least respond to some Black to Black or similar, only alternative is to park your car in a place where you are on your own.

Michael

"only alternative is to park your car in a place where you are on your own."

I always try to do that but has anyone experienced, when parked in a space with not a car within 100 yards, some plank comes and parks right next to your car?!

Painted protective strips do look better but when they get bashed the paint will be chipped/scratched etc. making them look non too good after a time. At least with the black non painted mouldings this isn't a problem and a bit of black trim stuff improves their appearance.

"only alternative is to park your car in a place where you are on your own."

I always try to do that but has anyone experienced, when parked in a space with not a car within 100 yards, some plank comes and parks right next to your car and still not another anywhere near?!

Painted protective strips do look better but when they get bashed the paint will be chipped/scratched etc. making them look non too good after a time. At least with the black non painted mouldings this isn't as big a problem and a bit of black trim stuff improves their appearance.

Just shortly after I bought my car I found shopping trolley parked against my Auris door. I got black side mouldings and IMO on silver car they don't look that bad, especially after car is clean and you use 'back to black'. They kind of melt with black tyres and door finish and above all they do the job. You just have to decide if you can put up with them or dents and paint scratches. In my opinion colour painting them is pontless.

cheers for replies, i dont think its worth it so i really couldnt put up with them being black, i think it looks out of place and then as for painting as you say they will look wrecked after while, that and i think the damage is already there, the previous owner had no heed on the car at all, and the worst dents are on the arch lines. There is a cheap set of brand new ones on eBay if anyone fancies them think ill let them slide this time

One dodge for parking in a Large spaced bay at the supermarket I saw the other day was to have a child seat in the car and park in the parent and child bays, there seemed to be no requirement to have a child sitting on it , must have a look on e bay.

Michael