Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Valve Strip

Offroadster

Hi guys, got a friend having the EGR valve issues, engine light, 4x4 vsc etc with code P0400. I removed the EGR and cleaned it and reset the code. After he has driven approx 200 miles engine light etc has returned with same code. I was thinking that the valve is sticking open when it is doing a regen, has anybody stripped one down to clean the spindle etc and how easy is it? Cheers in advance.

Yes I've done it. If you mark the body then remove the 3 screws you can seperate the motor from the valve. Then get a suitable punch and knock the core plug carefully out of the end. You can really get in to clean it out and the valve should snap shut with a metallic ping. When you tap the plug back in the end just use a centre pop to swell the alloy around it. It only needs to be slight. If you still get problems you can get a new valve off Kingo or just use a stainless steel shim and blank it off.

Cheers Anchorman, will give it a go for him this weekend. Was there much crude/soot around the spindle and in the motor when you took it apart ? Im pretty sure if there is that will cause it to stick.

Yes and with the core plug out you can hold it up to the light and see for certain if it closes.

I removed my friends EGR again today, although the main body of the valve was clean, the piston / spindle was still covered in soot in places. Removed the solenoid and core plug as Anchorman suggested, and what more acces it gives!!!!....Although the valve looked like it was flush and no light getting through , it was infact a layer of soot between the mating faces. When you look down the centre there are actually 3 mating faces that have potential to soot up and hold the valve open. Its all cleaned now, put back together. Car has been driven for about 40 miles with no issues. Friends comment was " I have acceleration again"....So for anybody cleaning their EGR, its not just the main of the body and clearing the holes in the manifold, the actual conntact faces in the valve is the main culprit for the valve sticking and remaining in an open position. I think I will do mine now!!

Did you centre pop the body? If that plug comes out you are walking!!!

Did you centre pop the body? If that plug comes out you are walking!!!

Yes Lol.made sure of that !!!!!!!.I wont be walking but my mate would, his car !!!

Hi guys, got a friend having the EGR valve issues, engine light, 4x4 vsc etc with code P0400. I removed the EGR and cleaned it and reset the code. After he has driven approx 200 miles engine light etc has returned with same code. I was thinking that the valve is sticking open when it is doing a regen, has anybody stripped one down to clean the spindle etc and how easy is it? Cheers in advance.

Your car is among those at high risk of engine problems....

You should simply not clean the EGR valve as this is one of the main symptoms of engine problems on the horizon..

I am truly amazed this has not been pointed out to You !!!!

Read here .........

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132178&st=0&p=1175067entry1175067

Your car is among those at high risk of engine problems....

You should simply not clean the EGR valve as this is one of the main symptoms of engine problems on the horizon..

I am truly amazed this has not been pointed out to You !!!!

Read here .........

http://www.toyotaown...7

Iam fully aware of the Engine problems Charlie. There are no other symptoms, hardly any oil is being used etc. EGR's will clog up on most if not all diesel engines, just some more than others. On my own car, T180,that I have had for 4 years, had a clogged up EGR 3 1/2 years ago. It was replaced under warranty with a modified one, I reguarly clean it and run only BP Ultimate. No problems what so ever.