Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Used Avensis - Negotiating The Price !

rogersp

Hi

Need some guidance again please.

I've decided to go with a 12/15 month old 1.8 petrol Avensis Tourer but would like to know how negotiable Toyota Dealers are on the windscreen price?

If you have any experience of this all input will be gratefully received.

Additionally, searching across the country for my/our choice the price of the same spec/mileage results in some variability in price, is there a regional variance in second hand pricing?

Many thanks

As with all main dealers, what ever the manufacturer, they are not very negotiable on screen price. But a lot depends on whether you are taking out finance through them, paying totally in cash or part exchanging a car. Some offer deals for using their favourite finance house as they get a kick back, others will haggle if you place notes on the table, few will haggle much if it is a part exchange as they will be taking a gamble with it. The latter is especially true if its an older car they won’t put on their own forecourt, all they will do is ring other dealers to see what they are willing to give for it which will usually be substantially less that a private sale.

There always has been regional variation in prices. Where there are more dealers to choose from prices tend to be lower. Dealers trying to sell, in your case, a nearly new Toyota Approved car which has been supplied by Toyota UK tend to have to keep prices on the high side because Toyota want to keep their prices up. The upside of this though is the Toyota Manufacturers Warranty which is far better than one supplied through a warranty company.

Dealers never want to haggle and the bigger the dealer the less so, they have bigger overheads so need a bigger profit to cover them. Don’t show too much enthusiasm for the car you are interested in until you know whether they are prepared to deal, if you don’t like the deal walk away, there will always be another one.

Whilst a car 50 or more miles away may seem cheaper on paper what about the after sales service and if you should have to take it back for faults or repair what will it cost to get there in time and money. Is there a Toyota dealer near you. If you know others with a Toyota ask them their experience with the dealer they used, recommendation is worth having. Not all dealers are equal even those selling a single brand.

Finally, having bought an 18 month old 1.8 Tourer 3 months ago from a Main Toyota dealer I can say that so far I am very pleased with it. My only gripe is the electronic parking brake, I am sort of getting used to it but would still prefer a lever.

Hi

Having just bought a 22 month old Avensis Tourer last week, I have just joined the club. I was a cash buyer, had done a fair bit of research and knew exactly what I wanted. I visited 2 franchised dealers and found that neither was particularly open to negotiation. The first one flatly refused to budge on price on a car I tried out, despite the fact that it was advertised incorrectly as CVT, but was actually a 6 speed manual. The second dealer initially said they were not open to offers but I played them off with with examples of cars I had seen at other dealerships online and managed to get £500 off the advertised price. I ended up with a good price for the car.

Incidentally, I was subjected to a pretty aggressive phone call from the first dealership, from whom I did not buy, when they discovered I had bought elsewhere. I was a little surprised to get from a large, franchised Toyota dealership.

Just Bought a Avensis 1.8 petrol 2008 reg yesterday. The price on the windscreen was advertised as 7999 but the price for the same car was 6999 on the toyota used car website. They didnt budge much or the price but agreed to do some work on the car which would have costed more than a couple of hundred bucks. The rear bumper had scratches from heavy suitcases being pulled out from the boot...they agreed to re spray the bumper...the bottom of the front bumber was scratched a lot due to them rubbing on the road at road bumps...they agreed to replace it to new. And a few other bits and bobs.

If they are not negotiating much on the price...I am sure they will be more willing to do these small touch ups for you instead as its not a big investment for them..!! All I am saying is that even if you cant get a big discount from them...you can get some value out of the transcation by asking them do such things...