Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Findings Egr Valve Clogged After 15K Using Shell Diesel

AURISTR01

EGR valve cleaned out today, after 15,000 miles. Local Garage quoted £40 to clean EGR valve and £20 for the inlet manifold/throttle body said its pointless just doing the EGR?

Engine reaches operating temperature to burn off soot on daily commute 9 mile local route one way, and occasionaly rev through the rpm 3.5k to clear the soot.

Yet it has still clogged I have used Redex etc, and do regular motorway trips. Shell Diesel has made no difference neither has the V power diesel put in at least 5 times in the 15,000 miles done.

Symptoms were black smoke and serious turbo lag, was boosting hard around 2.5k rather than normally where it was smoother from 2-3k rpm.

Cleaning the EGR has done the trick no smoke. But im now worried about about the inlet manifold being clogged and the throttle body? Anybody cleaned them

Thanks for your replys

Unfortunatley there is always going to be the problem of EGR valves carboning up as the Carbon is a by-product of fossil fuels.

All we can do is use good quality fuel and the right grade of oil.

Yet it has still clogged I have used Redex etc, and do regular motorway trips. Shell Diesel has made no difference neither has the V power diesel put in at least 5 times in the 15,000 miles done.

Sorry to hear you`ve had probs, decent fuel should help and V-Power isn`t a magic potion.... 5 occ in 15k in all honesty isn`t very much at all.

The best results would be from constant or regular use. :)

Its not so much of it being problem just extra maintenance.. My point is im not sure if using Shell or Other quality fuel compared to supermarket fuels prevent EGR soot build up, I have strictly used only Shell normal diesel but its still clogged. Maybe its expected from diesels, do not see the point of V Power not much of a difference in performance on the standard Map anyway and cant see it helping the EGR keep clean IMO not worth the extra cost.

Check my post on the egr thread regarding v power and 10,000 miles of use - not worth it.

9 miles isn't very far for a diesel, even if the engine has reached operating temp.

• Like 1

I'm wondering . . . when did they stop advising to put a small amount of unleaded in during winter time? Would that have controlled the build-up of carbon soot in the EGR valve and inlet manifold/throttle body etc? And did they fit EGR valves before the introduction of winter diesel? Apologies for so many questions

Winter diesel ? :huh: Never heard of it ..........

I'm wondering . . . when did they stop advising to put a small amount of unleaded in during winter time? Would that have controlled the build-up of carbon soot in the EGR valve and inlet manifold/throttle body etc? And did they fit EGR valves before the introduction of winter diesel? Apologies for so many questions

Advised not to use petrol in diesels now because of the lack of lubrication they cause

in modern hp fuel sysyems.

`Winter` diesel is normal diesel with an anti waxing additive sold during cold weather.

9 miles isn't very far for a diesel, even if the engine has reached operating temp.

+1

Diesel engines are not built for short journeys, they want to be hot and stay hot.

The water will have but the Cat/DPF probably hasn't, i think my Avensis takes about 23 miles (20 on the Motorway) to be fully warm. I base this on the fuel economy improving at this point. As an example i start the journey at 40MPG and this falls to 39 and starts to move back to 40 and onwards at the 23 mile point. And no the road isnt the same downhill stretch at this stage as i go all over the country.

I agree 9 miles is not alot for a diesel engine, I know its reached the operating temperature as the cooling fan does work sometimes when stuck in. I do go through the gears given the opportunity in a safe way of course but still appears sooted.

Mine has took 15k to get blocked how often are others doing their clean up of the EGR?

It used to be recommended to add a small amount of petrol to the Diesel to help prevent waxing, not necessary now because of additives during winter months. Another alternative to petrol was paraffin. That is illegal because paraffin is duty free. So nobody ever added some paraffin! ;)

Get some BG244 in the fuel tank! That'll sort it out :eat:

welcome back Mistermena. or is that MisterBG244? ;)

btw your PM box is full.

Well hello there stranger........ :D some good advice there matey ;)

I agree 9 miles is not alot for a diesel engine, I know its reached the operating temperature as the cooling fan does work sometimes when stuck in. I do go through the gears given the opportunity in a safe way of course but still appears sooted.

Mine has took 15k to get blocked how often are others doing their clean up of the EGR?

The water temp will rise because your not getting any air flow into the engine, its not the same as 30 minutes doing a steady 70MPH on a motorway for warming all the other bits up.

My old Verso did 40k before it needed a clean because half the time it was used on the motorway and the other time in urban use.

Well hello there stranger........ :D some good advice there matey ;)

Eh up my mate :drunk: Gotta get me plug in for the snake oil! lol :blow:

welcome back Mistermena. or is that MisterBG244? ;)

btw your PM box is full.

Cheers my mate :fireman: I've gotta plug to BG products! As its part of my contract! Hahahaha :doctor:

I'll take a look at me in box now...

Is checking / cleaning of the EGR a service item on Toyota diesel engines and if not why not?

It seems from all forums not just Toyota that DPF issues are a recurring theme of concern.

I think unless you do some serious mileage where the car can be run hot on a fluctuating throttle ( not cruise) then the case for modern diesels is questionable.

It is a pity because the lazy turbo torque is quite addictive and my last petrol car took me months to get used to revving it again having been with a SAAB 9-3 for 4 years.

I am reasonably fortunate as most of my regular journeys are motorway but where I can on open roads I work it up through the lower gears to try and keep things clear.

Touch wood my 08 SR180 on 55k is still running strong and returning 49mpg on a recent 200mile M6 jaunt to the midlands.

Maybe I got a good one.

Pete

It seems from all forums not just Toyota that DPF issues are a recurring theme of concern.

I think unless you do some serious mileage where the car can be run hot on a fluctuating throttle ( not cruise) then the case for modern diesels is questionable.

So why have you brought DPF issues to this thread Pete ? the OP didn`t.

My Verso hasn`t got one and doubt the OPs car has either. :)

It is, some people just seem to get hooked into looking at official MPG and dont seem to take much else into consideration. Depreciation is likely to be the greatest expense for most.

Low pressure turbo petrols would be better for most people IMO, like the new 1.0 Focus. But there arent many choices out there at the moment. Especially for 3-6yr old cars.

Sorry read EGR instead of DPF my mistake!

Pete

Sorry read EGR instead of DPF my mistake!

Pete

No need for apologies Pete, I thought you were reading something into the post which wasn`t there :)

• 5 months later...

Everyone is commenting on the fuel and engine oil being used but MPG has other things to be mindful of such as tyre pressures which have a bearing on MPG. I previously had a 2005 Corolla D4D T3 2.0 Ltr and the computer read 46MPG. This was an ex Toyota vehicle. When I exchanged for an Auris the computer was reading 62.5 MPG and wasn't far out as I checked at every fill-up. The vehicle mileage was 52,000.

I regret the day I P/X it as it was a great car,far better than the 2.0 LTr D4D SR that I have now. I have managed 54MPG but this drops dramatically in town and around local areas to under 50MPG at times and I drive for economy. I also always use Toyota semi synthetic oil from the dealer which is reasonable at around £12 per 5 litres. Hope this helps someome.