Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina 7Afe Problem

Delboy141184

I think ive got a faulty injector.seems to be a common fault from what ive read on net....

Its a 1995 1.8 petrol (7afe) ''lean burn'' carina with 125k miles,it has a itermitant missfire when hot and i think its injector number 3 thats causing the problem.the injectors are the blue cap ones.

When the missfire happens if i pull the conectors of injector number 1,2 and 4 one at a time then the missfire gets even worse which indicates those injectors are working fine however,when the missfire occurs and i pull the connector of injector number 3 the missfire stays exactly the same and the engine does not want to cut out/get worse or anything.

would this fault suggest it is injector number 3 thats causing me my problems???

i have no management light on and the car has been recently serviced and the problem just seems to lie with cylinder 3.

other symptoms when the missfire kicks in are.....hesitiation,loss of power,the car jerks alot under accelartion,high idle (which ive clead the throttle body and Idle control valve).other than this the car drives fine most of the time.

if anyone can shed a light on this before i start paying out for new/2nd hand injectors i would be very appreciative.

Cheers.

nearly 50 views and no answer? :unsure:

Dear Dellboy

Please bear with me, I am not a trained mechanic. When you say that you have removed the connectors one at a time, are we talking about.ie the spark plug connectors. In my experience with the lean burn engine it was rarely the injector that failed, but simply a duff spark plug or dizzy lead. This would give the symptoms that you describe.

Hope I have understood things correctly.

Cheers Philbee

no sorry,i have removed the actual connector to the injectors.one at a time,however,doing the exact same thing with the HT leads leads me to the same problem so my guess is the missfire lies somewhere with cylinder 3?

Totally agree with you pointing the way to number 3 cylinder. I was just offering an alternative solution with it maybe not being the injector that is at fault, but an electrical problem.

im convinced its the injector mate,just wanted confirmation that it ''is '' that before i start putting emptying my wallet.

Have you thought about swopping no 3 injector with say no 1 and see if no 1 cyl is then effected. You will then be convinced?

Are you convinced that it is not a bad plug or HT lead by testing each? I would always try to eliminate the cheapest components first and be totally sure before I moved on.

well ive just bought a new fuel filter and some redex so ill try giving that a shot to see if things improve before i buy any injectors,but these blue cap injectors are PRONE to failing on the lean burn engines.its a well known common issue and without a doubt im certain its a injector fault,but would like to be proved wrong so i dont have to pay out as much for new ones.

ive had all plugs out,and they look fine,checked all leads,again they look fine and give off a good spark,ive had dizzy off and cleaned inside and also cleaned rotor arm,cleaned the throttle body and IACV but no real difference was made doing any of these,hence me thinking it is a injector.

Have you done an electrical resistance test on each injector? A faulty injector will show an open circuit, ie no ohm reading.

yes,and number 3 reads less than 1,2 and 4.cant remember the figures but 3 was less than the others.

I've got the exact same problem on my ToyotA Carina E 96. I've been changing every electrical components that could interfere, but still is misfires when engine is warm. (No problem when engine is cold).

A lot of people have had the same problem, and faulty injector on cylinder 3 seems to be the weakes link.

My engine is the 7A-FE with the blue top injectors. Does enyone have a spare I can buy?

I guess is part number is 23250-02030 (or 0280150439).

well replaced the fuel filter today,loads of brown/black gunge in there so needed to be done anyway,poured some redex down the spark plug holes (removing spark plugs first) and left to sit for ten mins,then re fitted everything back together,poured some redex into tank and topped up with fresh fuel.took for a 15 mile blast and the missfire is still there.so next on agnda is the offending injector to be replaced but in the mean time ill give the redex time to circulate through the system and see how it goes.

Still no improvement on the missfire as of yet.new injectors are £100+ each so looks like a scrounge around scrappy is in order.

just ordered a 2nd hand injector of eBay for £30 with free post,so hopefully when it arrives in next couple of days or so,ill fit it and the missfire will be gone.i will post back when i have a update.

I tell yer what, Dell I like your style! Nothing is left to chance before you finally fork out any

unnecessary costly money!

the 2nd hand fuel injector arrived today (very quick delivery),like a kid on christmas eve i dash out to the car and fit it.

10 mins later when fitted,i fire the car up,take for a good spin and low and behold...............

the missfire has GONE!

Lets hope this injector lasts a while.No saying with 2nd hand goods but hopefully it will last a good while.

i hope this post helps other people out with similar problems.

Thanks for all help everyone who commented.

24 hours later and still going good.....