Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing Original K16R-U11 Spark-Plug With Iridium Bkr5Eix-11

Hurricane3001

Hi all,

is there someone that have experience to replacing on Corolla 3zz-fe the original Denso K16R-U11 park-plug with NGK Iridium BKR5EIX-11?

If yes, there are effective advantages in term of increased performance of the engine and life-span of the Iridium spark-plug?

Thanks

Itll last longer yes, performane will be no gain at all IMHO

Hi,

Used the standard NGK BRK5EYA-11 plugs at around £3 each for my 40k and 60k services, no problems with them at all.

On my old lean burn Avensis advised to use the irriduim plugs at about £16 each from Toyota and change every 60k but at that price there is no saving , plus if you have a plug problem it become an expensive exercise with irriduims.

As to any performace gain, technically they are supposed to be better, but never heard any user comment about them being so much more effective, think if they were word would have got around long ago.

If you know your regular mpg and performace over the last few K mlies then it might be worth trying them and seeing if they give any long term gain.

Thanks guys,

I already buyed them, and then I will try Iridium plugs.

Probably will be also useful to reset(clean) all old inforations stored by the auto-learning mode and restart it again.

Do you know how to do it in my 2002 ECU?

• 3 weeks later...

After I replaced spark plugs with Iridium and used the car for about 10 days, I can say that effectively I noted a little and nice increase of progression in accelleration. Also the "sound" of engine seems more "nice".

Suggestion? I don't think, but probably the little improvement of power do not justify the 3 times major cost of Iridium spark plugs.

Either your old spark plugs were breaking down enough to feel a change OR

Placebo Effect. The fact is, a set of spark plugs on these standard engines is not going to make any difference what so ever. On a highly strung n/a or even more still on a turbo charged car then yes it would.

The first hypothesis is wrong because the old spark plugs were new (only 1000 Km).

The second hypothesis is also wrong, because before to change the spark plugs, I have vaccinated myself against the placebo effect.

When I changed the spark plugs, I was skeptical of any benefits, and I am therefore immune to placebo effects.

The small improvement that I noticed, can be explained by the fact that having the candle needs less energy to build the spark, the same spark occurs a bit earlier than the normal one.

The obvious and direct consequence is that the engine gains a little bit power and torque.