Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sr 180 Review 3 Years On And 40K Plus Miles

Thumperzz01

Just joined - I currently own an ex 2008 Toyota Sprint Series white Auris SR180. This was the car run by Redline Magazine / Tunit.

Its racing pedigree only came to light 5 weeks into ownership when I saw it featured in full race livery on a rolling road in Car Mechanics mag featuring the Tunit chip article!

The car was 11 months old when purchased with 12k miles I also managed to negotiate a full black leather interior so the deal was even sweeter when Toyota gave me a full 3yr factory warranty and gave the car a full check over ( 2 new tyres and front skirt)

Oakmere Toyota in Northwich I have found first class which makes a change to some of the poor service with some other brands and dealers.

Now 3 years on it has 55k and runs like a dream (unfortunately I did not inherit the Tunit box) but still has good power.

Mpg is currently 46 mpg average over a recent 400 mile motorway round trip - if I could keep it at 60 -70 average it would be nearer 50. Around town I can see mid 30s except when weather is cold on short trips ( it can take an age to heat up when really cold weather)

Interested to hear if anyone has made any handling mods or suffers grounding out much over speed bumps!

I have just read through all back posts and interesting to see posts on some of the queries I have raised over the past few years with my dealer.

The white smoke (regens) did cause some concern and never were really explained to me - the car was always running well so it didn't seem to affect performance.

Tramlining at slow speeds on poor road surfaces is still an issue but at higher speeds on better roads is not a problem.

I have had a knock on almost full lock right hand turns which appears to me to be coming from passenger footwell - I suspected a cv joint or driveshaft but after having it inspected on more than one occasion I am still living with it. When I tried to demonstrate it to a the dealer sods law i couldn't reproduce it. It has had two mots since so it cannot be anything too serious!

All in all I am pretty pleased with my 40k miles and 3 plus yrs ownership.

The car is a sleeper and can produce a nice turn of speed when required much to the surprise of a few other drivers.

It will cruise well down motorways or A roads but back road twisties will never be as confident as the Subaru Forester it replaced (4wd) might have something to do with it.

Pete

Good report Pete :) You might want to try upgraded springs by H&R or Eibach - both of which retain near enough standard ride height but reduce the worst of the body roll in corners. Much improved handling on twisty B-class roads ;) In my opinion, the lack of body control on the SR's 'motorsport' springs is appalling. It's far too soft & not in keeping with it's top-of-the-range sporting image.

• 6 months later...

Just joined - I currently own an ex 2008 Toyota Sprint Series white Auris SR180. This was the car run by Redline Magazine / Tunit.

Its racing pedigree only came to light 5 weeks into ownership when I saw it featured in full race livery on a rolling road in Car Mechanics mag featuring the Tunit chip article!

The car was 11 months old when purchased with 12k miles I also managed to negotiate a full black leather interior so the deal was even sweeter when Toyota gave me a full 3yr factory warranty and gave the car a full check over ( 2 new tyres and front skirt)

Oakmere Toyota in Northwich I have found first class which makes a change to some of the poor service with some other brands and dealers.

Now 3 years on it has 55k and runs like a dream (unfortunately I did not inherit the Tunit box) but still has good power.

Mpg is currently 46 mpg average over a recent 400 mile motorway round trip - if I could keep it at 60 -70 average it would be nearer 50. Around town I can see mid 30s except when weather is cold on short trips ( it can take an age to heat up when really cold weather)

Interested to hear if anyone has made any handling mods or suffers grounding out much over speed bumps!

I have just read through all back posts and interesting to see posts on some of the queries I have raised over the past few years with my dealer.

The white smoke (regens) did cause some concern and never were really explained to me - the car was always running well so it didn't seem to affect performance.

Tramlining at slow speeds on poor road surfaces is still an issue but at higher speeds on better roads is not a problem.

I have had a knock on almost full lock right hand turns which appears to me to be coming from passenger footwell - I suspected a cv joint or driveshaft but after having it inspected on more than one occasion I am still living with it. When I tried to demonstrate it to a the dealer sods law i couldn't reproduce it. It has had two mots since so it cannot be anything too serious!

All in all I am pretty pleased with my 40k miles and 3 plus yrs ownership.

The car is a sleeper and can produce a nice turn of speed when required much to the surprise of a few other drivers.

It will cruise well down motorways or A roads but back road twisties will never be as confident as the Subaru Forester it replaced (4wd) might have something to do with it.

Pete

Pete, don't know if you'll see this but I too have the rattle from the passenger foot well when turning right under load, did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? Sounds like the u.j. on the drive shaft, seems more noticeable when cold.

Still have the noise and it does seem more noticeable on first right hand bend.

Car is now at 60k and been serviced and MOT again so it can't be anything too obvious or safety related.

The problem has always been that I have never been able to replicate the noise when out on a test with the garage.

Let me know how you get on sorry I can't be any real help.

Pete

Ok booked in for Wednesday, betting on the outer CV joint, won't make the noise just turning but will if load (throttle) applied.

Hi did you get your steering knock sorted at the dealers?

Pete

Well Pete as you know it requires a bit of steering lock and power to demonstrate this problem so with the snow and ice on Wednesday meant I could only just about show it, they had a visual inspect but saw nothing obvious but agreed from my description that the outer CV joint maybe the issue. It is going in for a replacement water pump next week (leaking gasket, Toyoata covering and not the extended warranty, that makes 2 out of 3 claims that toyota are covering under their own warranty extension, the other was leaking rear lamp - why did I bother with e extended warranty, well they did a sump gasket under it) and they will try to drive it cold to see if they can get it to knock. if they can then they need to get those idiots over at the warranty group to agree to Shell out, they always want to send people out, get photos etc, which is the problem with the official extended warranty - The Warranty Group, these middlemen make their oney by rejecting claims or dragging them out for so long you just want to give up.

Thanks for the update - let's hope they get to the bottom of the issue and warranty comes up trumps.

Interested to know the outcome so I can suggest a solution or area for the dealers to check on the next visit!

Pete

• 2 months later...

Ok, the car has gone into today after I managed to demonstrate the problem several times a month ago. They are replacing the nearside drive shaft under the extended warranty, hopefully this solves the issue, I'll find out later.

All sorted no more knocking when turning and the sensation of wheel slip when reversing, whilst turning, off the driveway has gone.

Great news I will have to get mine checked over again at next service although passed another MOT again without comment a couple of weeks back!

Pete

Yeah mine past the MOT fine as there wasn't anything that could be picked up with the car stationary.