Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 Diesel Loses Acceleration

dalong

:ermm: Im in need of help please :dontgetit:

My 2002 Rav Diesel has recently lost the ability to accelerate, when cruising in top gear at approx. 60mph.

On depressing the pedal to speed up -nothing happens!

On each of the few occasions it has happened , over the last week, I've dropped down to 3rd gear, while slowing down slightly and the accelerator picks up again. The car has then been fine.

This brings back awful memories of a fuel pump issue on a Pajero I owned some years ago -I hope it isn't similar1.

Are there any ideas or similar occurances out there please -as i'm off on holiday soon and feeling nervous?

reagards from Sunny Norfolk

hi matey

- investigate EGR valve having opened an upper lid --- if it is full of carbon -- just have it cleaned + reach smooth movement of the stem;

- what condition of the fuel filter? the date of last changed + miles covered after ??

- fuel pump -- check with both SCV coils resistance and compare with manual. if you will find mnor deviation then just you have to change it/them;

- engine air filter -- is it in order?

- turbo -- is it fitted with variable vanes or fixed? undo suction rubber hose and inspect an shaft rotation -- smooth or hard ?

if hard -- it seems you have it as full of carbon braking rotation.

Start with steps and be honest with us to help remove this head ache

regards

Igor

Igor,

many thanks for reply -I will investigate further at weekend, as working silly hours. A further addition to info. is that when no acceleration occurs, when I take foot of pedal & re-accelerate, I can feed engine torque for a moment -but then nothing else.

I am mechanically able, but not that knowladgeable on cars -could you lead me to EGR valve location please?

My thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Igor,

since post only one day off & no opportunity to investigate. Currently, the fault has cleared, so i'm hoping for the best short tem, though I'm sure it will come back. I will update if re-appears -cheers for your help.

• 1 month later...

Igor,

sorry for delay to reply. Having 'limped' about as fault got progressivly worse, I changed both SCV solenoids - having had an allmost continuous fault code read independantly -which pointed to these.

Changed both this morning & test ran car -which feels great after issues, Fingers crossed it's sorted and again my thanks for your guidance and instructions to replace, which I used.

that is great

havae a nice motoring.

regrds / igor