Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will There Be No Limit To This ?

crofter

The proposed new speed limits.

Good or not so good ?

Would they save lives? Always GOOD

Would they save money. Road signs are cheaper than road improvements.

Are they to increase speed fine income,or maybe to appease the Green Lobby ?

Do we need them ?

Del

Well as long as we have traffic lights on sodding roundabouts 24/7, any green benefit to speed limits is annulled!

Personally I'm happy with the 70 limit, I don't see the need to change it. I think the debate of speed limits on the motorway is a distraction from all the other problems we face on our road network.

The proposed new speed limits.

Good or not so good ?

Would they save lives? Always GOOD

Would they save money. Road signs are cheaper than road improvements.

Are they to increase speed fine income,or maybe to appease the Green Lobby ?

Do we need them ?

Del

What have I missed, Del min....? If they reduce it up here, it's only to reduce the damage the potholes are doing to oiur cars...!!!!

Are they proposing changes....?

Big Kev

You beat me to it James!!! Highering the Motorway limit but clamping down on urban network, as low as 20mph in built up areas. This is happening overhere, what where open limit roads have now become 50mph, and there is a 30mph limit in all Villages.Plus the number of unmarked cars and radar traps is defo on the increase. ( and don,t I know it!!!!!)

Regards 30mph Clare

Not sure what is news here -surely any road at any time could have its speed limit changed? Doesn't seem to be any indication that 40 should be the norm -only where appropriate.

I can think of some roads near me where 40 would make much more sense than 60 -and other roads where 30 is a nonsense.

Unfortunate that some regard going less than the speed limit as bad driving.

They're limits, not targets.....................

I agree with 20 around housing estates but I don't like lowering the limits on country roads any more than being shaken to pieces on the approach to traffic islands. The islands should contain a bottomless pit so that eejits who can't quite grasp the concept of slowing down and going round an island can disappear. Same goes for country roads - we are all paying the price for incompetent drivers.

Could it be that with so many claims against the councils for damage to cars due to so many potholes that they are trying to slow cars down in an attempt to reduce the amount of claims ??

Kev the roads over Your way are truly unbelievable !! I have driven all over the UK but never have I seen such poorly maintained and po holed roads.. It really is that bad that many drivers avoid Glasgow because of this...

We in the UK pay more in taxes associated to our cars yet suffer the worse roads in Europe....

As Davrav says, they ARE limits not targets. Modern cars are undoubtedly able to maintain higher motorway speeds, but are modern drivers as quick to react to possible dangers at higher speeds? Damon Hill has come out suggesting a maximum speed of 55, but I fell that is too slow.

Upping the limit will not stop people driving over that new limit, and will extra measures be taken to catch the faster drivers, I doubt it.

The council have just resurfaced a part of the road from Horsham to Guildford. Sadly they didn't do a lot of the potholes on the side!! What a waste.

What is really frustrating is that they are even wasting money on considering new speed limits at all. Leave it as it is, but concentrate on making black spot areas safer.

Rant over, phew!!

Seems like a "One size fits all" answer to me!

Deaths are on the increase on rural roads, thats a bad thing, so why not address rural road issues, reduce speeds where they can, but improve the quality of the roads and signs where required

I still think we go about things the wrong way. Instead of dishing out fines for speeding, and sending your hard earned to the local council to waste, you should be made to take a driver awareness course, which you would have to pay for. I know that is already an option for lower speed offences, but I feel it offers drivers more than just a fine and hopefully you learn from it. I suppose there would be just too many, but it could be tailored for say speeding on a rural road or in an accident black spot area

...and while we are at it, anyone without the relevent documents, licence, insurance etc, why not just ban them for life? Sorry you had your chance and blew it, sorry, we don't need your type back on the road, go buy a bike, ten years minimum :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

We in the UK pay more in taxes associated to our cars yet suffer the worse roads in Europe....

hmmm is that so?

Here in the UK for our Rav 4 we pay £270 per year.

Back home in the Netherlands we should pay €600 per year for the same car.

And for my Sorento €2,140 per year!

All premiums over 2012/2013

Totally pointless 'review' that will go nowhere.

Anyone who is doing 60MPH on some of the single track roads and windie roads I used when living in Devon and now have to use when living up here in the Borders are only doing 60 because they have run out of road in time to get to 70 or 80 or 90 mph, NOT because the speed limit is 60.

As has been already said, the speed limit is not a target, so be better to spend that spare(?!) money available for those 'reviews' on driver education.

As an aside, I was in Waterstones Bookshop on Saturday and was looking at a shelf that was labeled something like "Learning to Drive" and every single book was not about how to learn to drive but was ACTUALLY about how to pass your driving test - not the same thing at all!

Kev - your roads are pretty bad even for Scotland! Was up around Bishopbriggs, Charing X and Braehead way over the weekend and it was like on going on a slalom trying to avoid the bigger ones!

Does'nt most of it come to plain common sense? It seems to be not so common today with some drivers.

Anyone watch the progamme on TV which was about bad drivers? I bet I was'nt the only one who said how the devil did they pass their driving test.

I had sight of a police manual once about driving and apart from skid pans and other practices that is denied the rest of us, most of it was taught to me when learning to drive and in the REME.

There was things like do not go around a bend at a faster speed than you can pull up in in the road you could actually see before you with consideration to conditions at the time.

How many of you have not seen people who are turning left onto a single lane major road after only after only looking right?

Must stop now as I am not usually this grumpy.

Del

Could it be that with so many claims against the councils for damage to cars due to so many potholes that they are trying to slow cars down in an attempt to reduce the amount of claims ??

Kev the roads over Your way are truly unbelievable !! I have driven all over the UK but never have I seen such poorly maintained and po holed roads.. It really is that bad that many drivers avoid Glasgow because of this...

Ma Auntie Betty was here from Buck Palace a few weeks ago Charlie, and I have it on very good authority that the potholes and patching that went on on her route were so that she and Uncle Phil would not get bumped around so much. The world not only smells of fresh paint for Her Niceness....it smells of new asphalt too !!! Keeps the tubes clear ah'm telt.....

Big Kev....and no disrespect intended.....