Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem With Avensis

TAvensis03

Hi everyone. I wanted to explain my problem and seek advise.

My father has a Toyota Avensis 03 plate and is a petrol. Yesterday while on the motorway, the check engine oil symbol started flashing. We stopped and checked the engine oil. As it is regularly checked, the oil level was at the maximum. After starting the car, the symbol had gone. After resuming driving on the motorway, about 10 minutes later the symbol returned. We stopped again and realised the engine was also making a "chugg, chugg, chugg" noise. We checked the oil and everything seemed fine. We resumed and the same problem occurred, however this time there was a louder noise as if something had ripped. And the car started to lose its power. Fortunately we safely pulled over on the hard shoulder.

Now, the car does not start. The engine makes noise but does not start.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong? We have received some advise but wanted to get a few more views that we can look in to. Also, my father and I know very little about cars so it would be very much appreciated if anyone replying can explain things clearly.

Thank you for your time.

was it the oil light or the engine management light that came on?

whats the mileage? have you checked the alternator/power steering belts for signs they have snapped? has the timing belt snapped?

im just thinking with you saying a ''ripping sound'' that sounds like a belt has snapped to me.

Thank you for the reply, and I will look into your suggestions.

I am sure it was the check engine oil light (oil can with no wave underneath) and the car has run about 104,000 miIles.

As I know very little about cars, I have not been able to check the various parts of the engine or surroundings. So I am hoping any suggestions will tie in with the other aspects of what has happened such as the car not starting.

If there was a "rip" of any of the chains/belts, would the car still not start?

Thanks.

if the cambelt had snapped then yes the car would not start due to the upper and lower parts of the engine now been out of timing with each other and possible major damage to the pistons and valves colliding with each other,meaning extensive cylinder head work will be needed to repair the engine.

A fourth person has said that the engine is gone and it was mostly likely due to the oil pump failure. They have also said that many components of the engine such as the pistons and the chain, which does not spin, may have all been damaged.

This is what we feared and now the entire engine will need to be replaced.

If anyone still has other views, please post a reply or private message me.

Thank you for your time.