Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whistling Wing Mirror

Lorna2

Does anyone know what would be the cause of a whistling wing mirror? Its only on the driver's side and only happens at speeds above 50 mph. Its definitely not coming in through the window as I've checked and there's no draft.

Any ideas?

Does anyone know what would be the cause of a whistling wing mirror? Its only on the driver's side and only happens at speeds above 50 mph. Its definitely not coming in through the window as I've checked and there's no draft.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

It is caused by air currents around the mirror glass. Remove the glass and run a strip of adhesive non absorbant foam strip around the inside to alter the acoustics. My apologies if this is a figment of my imagination but I seem to remember that you had just bought a new model. If so then the dealer should rectify the problem.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Thanks for the speedy reply Geoff. I'm going to pop into the dealers tomorrow but I was just wondering what to expect. I knew somebody on here would be able to suggest something. You're right, I got the new model last week. Everything's great, except for that little niggle but I'm sure they'll soon sort it. :)

That's really bizarre! My Mk1 had a similar thing at exactly 63mph and I'd get a sort of wooooooooo sound and I assumed it was the mirror. It stopped some time back and I never figured out what I changed which stopped it :lol:

Thanks for the speedy reply Geoff. I'm going to pop into the dealers tomorrow but I was just wondering what to expect. I knew somebody on here would be able to suggest something. You're right, I got the new model last week. Everything's great, except for that little niggle but I'm sure they'll soon sort it. :)

Please post the result of your visit to the dealer, my wife has a new Yaris but has not encountered this problem, yet!

Regards Geoff Peace

Please post the result of your visit to the dealer, my wife has a new Yaris but has not encountered this problem, yet!

Regards Geoff Peace

Will do Geoff but I haven't had the chance to go to the dealer today. I'll call in with them some day this week and let you know how I get on. I'm sure it'll be fine.

You could always join in and whistle along with your mirror ;)

Earlier marks of the Yaris had a "Service Bulletin" issued to dealers with instructions how to silence the whistle

Good luck!

Update: I called in at the dealer today about the whistle. It doesn't seem to be the wing mirror causing the whistle. The technician took it out for a drive, then he bent the wing mirror in. Then he took the car out again with tape round the little triangle window beside the wing mirror - if that makes sense ;) He said there must be a pinhead letting the air in, something so small that the draft can't be felt from the inside. They are going to fix it but have to ring Toyota for authorisation. They said someone from Toyota might possibly want to come and have a look as its a new model.

The car is booked in for work on 31st, they have to wait for the part to come in.

Might be the wheels? Wipers?

(I'm wondering if my car's whistling stopping coincided with when I swapped my wheels?)

Might be the wheels? Wipers?

(I'm wondering if my car's whistling stopping coincided with when I swapped my wheels?)

Don't think so. Not the wipers anyway as they weren't on - actually got a bit of dry weather B) . Hmm wheels - probably not for me as its 4 new tyres. Good ideas though. Maybe it was the tyres for your whistle.

Not tyres, I mean the actual wheels; My old alloys were pretty badly shagged. (Kerbed to death and corroding so bad the surface was flaking off revealing the alloy material underneath, which was slowly turning black with corrosion! :eek:)

I swapped them for a set I bought off PaulT (Which I also had powercoated to stop them corroding again - The alloys on my Mk1 were pretty bad quality compared to my Fiesta's and I didn't want a repeat!), and I'm thinking the whistling stopped then... I may be misremembering 'tho (It was a while ago!).

But yeah, keep us posted! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not getting the work done tomorrow, but on Friday instead. The part is on ''back order'', as its not a fast moving part. The part is due to arrive on Thursday.

Just an update for you all. Job done and the whistle's gone :)

There was a GT86 in the showroom so of course I had to have a nosey at it. I must say it was very impressive. :yes: Luxury.

This sound is so annoying happening on my 54 plate Yaris, i dont understand how to stop it myself, do i have to go to a dealer?

There was a GT86 in the showroom so of course I had to have a nosey at it. I must say it was very impressive. :yes: Luxury.

What was the cause of the whistle? and how was it cured?

Regards Geoff Peace.

What was the cause of the whistle? and how was it cured?

Regards Geoff Peace.

Geoff, it was all explained to me by the person from the warranty dept. She had a sheet with all they did written on it as well, but thats for them to keep. She went into a lot of detail when she explained but I couldn't give you all that detail now - short memory! The main thing is that they stripped off a seal and replaced it. According to the technician I spoke to when he had the car out on a road test, there must have been a tiny pinhole in the seal. Even when I looked really close there was nothing noticeable, so it must have been a very small hole as he said.

Its the first whistler they've had. There was no whistle in the courtesy Yaris or the 2 I had test drives in before I got this one. All sorted now :)

You're lucky it wasn't a Peugeot dealer I purchased a 307 from a few years ago. They sorted out a whistling nearside mirror by filling it's internals with black mastic sealant. All it required was a thin piece of foam, obviously ommitted during manufacture, costing a few pennies! The mastic started to leak out when the ambient temperature rose - so I had a look to see what it was.

I did take pictures but unfortunately no longer have them - these were sent to Peugeot for their thoughts, they were non too pleased.

You could always join in and whistle along with your mirror ;)

Britains got talent ? :D