Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12V Outlet - Allways Live?

elt96jlm

Hi,

I wonder if anyone know if it is possible to get the 12V outlet allways live? I have a Waeco (energy friendly compressor version) coolbox which would be nice to use even when the car is parked..

Thanks in advance!

BR

Jon

first of all the wires connecting to the AUX socket are very small in diameter and would drop a lot of the 12v across it if say 5amp was required. let me have a look at the tech docs as there is a toolbox especially for the iq and i will check the wiring information

David

have had a look at the tech dochs but it doesn't show any installation for the cool box. Here is the link to it http://www.pentagontoyotaparts.co.uk/iq-cool-box-pz450-00320-00-i1318.html. my guess is it looks portable so connects via the AUX socket which is ignition switched.. its controlled by the ECU so the answer to your question is no, The only obvious way would be to take a live and neg off the Battery via a in-line fuse and bring it through the bulkhead via the blanked off stub you can see by looking over the engine from the engine bay and fitting a floating socket or route it to the rear and fit a socket in an appropriate panel near to where the cool box will sit

David

I use a small fridge type cool box & a Larger Coolbox at week ends,

(nothing fancy, just cheap ones so no built in Battery protection on them to save excessive Battery drain)

i would not run either for any length of time on a parked iQ with a standard Battery even tho the aH is not that high..

I plug the fridge into the vehicle when traveling,

(or a split relay & a second leisure battery) if running a car with one fitted,

If no battery being carried I used a 'smallish' Rechargable Power pack which i charged at home first or while driving, then plugged the Fridge/coolbox into that while parked,

that way, no chance of flat batteries.

My Small Fridge/hot box is.

On, DC 12v on COOL, 50W, 3.8A

HOT, 40W, 3.2A

george

George is of course perfectly right. Drawing over 3 amps from a stationary iQ over a short time will flatten the Battery.

I suppose Toyota making theirs plug in the AUX socket naturally protects the Battery as its a switched live although not an engine run live,which lends itself to people putting the first stage of ignition on and flattening it. Most small "beer" fridges nowadays run on Peltier chips which are generally low current and presumably used in car applications.I don't think a compressor type fridge is suitable for the iQ. what is the current consumption? may show in watts on a plate somewhere

David

Hello, thanks!

A shame it does not seems solvable..maybe it could be worth talking to a toyota workshop if something can be done with the ecu.

The positive side with my fridge is that it only draws about 18W when the compressor is active, and that it is active only periodically, like an ordinary home fridge.

The model is waeco cf-18 and I can really recommend it!

Over and out,

Jon

David understands these things better than me by miles,

i take my advice from my local sparks as there is nothing more annoying or embarresing than a flat Battery at the end of a lovely day out. (i have got several T-shirts)

Amp hours is the important thing, and how much below the ambient temperature a fridge or coolbox needs

to keep something cool or work to achieve that temp.

Your one is probably very efficient, The Average Amps per hour looks good on your one.

mine are not & use quite a Draw on the Battery, but they suit my needs and aseage.

http://www.waeco.co....ge=powercon&s=4

http://www.split-cha...-explained.html

george

I did this in my RAV4. The front outlet remains switched but the 2 outlets in the console and cargo area are always hot. Both of the rear outlets run off the POWER relay under the dash. This relay can be unplugged and replaced with a simple jumper wire or the contacts on the relay can be bridged as I have shown in the link below.

BTW, the outlets are rated for 10 amps and each circuit is fused at 15 amps. I found that the coolers using Peltier effect chips use a tremendous amount of current, and they seem to pull more current as they age. My little cooler put a huge strain on a 12 amp power supply. The original poster's cool box has a compressor so it may not use as much power, but I would not leave it running in an idle vehicle for more than an hour or so, or you might end up with a flat Battery.

Here's the link to my 12v outlet mod:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/76791-mod-how-make-your-12-volt-outlets-hot-all-times.html#post792679

As there isnt sockets for the rear, there isnt a " power" relay that you can short out like the Rav 4. If your unit is only consuming 18 watts. 1.6 amps. It will be ok for the ignition switched AUX socket below the AC unit

David