Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Extended Warrantys, Any Thoughts?

flyboyprowler

My dealer warranty expires soon, and I was considering an extended one with Warranty Direct, or Warranty Wise. Price is around a £1000 for three years, but are they worth it.

Has anyone used them, and I know if nothing goes wrong in the period, it is technically a waste, but is peace of mind better!

Off the peg warranties are a waste of money, if you can afford it ALWAYS go with the dealer extended warranty. It gives "like new" cover and is not based on an insurnace based policy

Benefits of Toyota extended warranty

Car hire

Hotel expenses cover

MOT test cover included

No claims bonus voucher if you dont make a claim

Any Toyota dealer can carry out repairs

NOT insurance based where something has to break or fall off to be be covered

FREE Club Toyota membership including AA Cover

Just like a new car warranty, very few exclusions

NO Excess to pay

Kingo :thumbsup:

Having just had my first experience of a Repair under a Toyota warranty . . . and probably having to have another one in 1000 miles . . . It has convinced me to purchase an extended toyota warranty . . . .

With the independent warranty claims check what is covered and where the repairs will be carried out . . . Mr T's warranty suddenly looks a good deal especially as it includes Club Toyota membership (IIRC)

Off the peg warranties are a waste of money, if you can afford it ALWAYS go with the dealer extended warranty. It gives "like new" cover and is not based on an insurnace based policy

Car hire

Hotel expenses cover

MOT test cover included

NO Excess to pay

Well, you WOULD say thta,wouldn't you!! ;)

I don't know if the non-manufacturer warranties are a TOTAL waste of money - you DO get a little certificate you can put on the wall to remind you how much you gave away :)

posted this before, but I'll post it again .... on both my Toyotas that have had Toyota Used Car Warranties on, I have needed work done under them and both times it was a hassle -free experience and I personally would have little hesitation in taking out a Mr T extended warranty for peace of mind and would not touch an insurance-based one with a bargepole.

Mr Kingo - here is a question for you on this ....

On a new car you only get the Club Toyota for the first year of ownership, so years 2 & 3 you have to buy if you want?

On my RAV4.2, I bought when 1 year old and at the time of purchase took out extra 2 years (so cover for year 4 & year 5) (so that kicked in 2 years later).- by doing that I got full Club Toyota from the day I bought the vehicle until it was 5 years old (so got Club Toyota FOC for year 3)

Is that how it is meant to work? Asking as it may be worth taking out an extended Warranty on the new RAV4.3 to cover Year 6 and so get 4 more years of Club Toyota chucked in for free once Year 1 is up?

I don't know how it works over there, buy my Toyota extended warranty is not "just like a new car warranty", and there are many exceptions. Unlike the original warranty, plastic trim parts like A/C vents are not covered. The headliner could fall down on your head-not covered. A structural weld or a door hinge could fail-not covered. I think it's still a great deal, because I shopped around and found a dealer selling the warranty for less than half of what my selling dealer wanted. Just don't go in thinking it will be a comprehensive bumper-to-bumper warranty like the original. Read the fine print. Here is the list of what's not covered on my Toyota extended warranty:

ITEMS NOT COVERED

Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Body Panels; Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes, Rotors and Drums; Bumpers; Carpet; Chrome; Clutch Friction Disc and Pressure Plate; Dash Cover and Pad; Door Trim, Handles, and Fabric; Filters; Fluids; Glass (including Windshields); Headliner; Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Hinges; Hoses; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply Battery Assembly; Interior and Exterior Trim Moldings, including but not limited to Ashtrays, Covers, Cup Holders, and Vents; Lamps (Back-up, Fog Light, Side Marker, and Turn Signal Light Assemblies); Light Bulbs; Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers, and Fasteners; Paint; Rust and Corrosion Damage; Seat Covers; Sheet Metals; Shiny Metals; Spark Plugs; Structural Framework and Welds; Tires; Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Weather Stripping; Wheels and Rims; Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber component)

Covered components are subject to change.

Toyota Financial Services is a service mark of Toyota Motor Insurance Services, Inc., and its subsidiary, Toyota Motor Insurance Company.

09-0320 TFS Platinum VSA

toyotafinancial.com

Car hire

Hotel expenses cover

MOT test cover included

NO Excess to pay

I agree that the Toyota extended warranty is very, very good. We've had/got it on both our RAV's and can't praise it highly enough. No hassle, no arguments, all non-consumables covered.

But after 7 years (?) Mr. T will not renew it so you have two choices: no warranty or an external warranty.

We went with Warranty Direct on our 02 4.2 auto & can't complain. Of course it is a form of insurance but my better half likes the car, doesn't want to sell it but wants some security. Mr. T can't provide it but Warranty Direct can.

Horses for courses, I reckon, Kingo.

That is an extensive list of exclusions, but very similar to ours, however, we list it as:

Wear and tear items (your brakes, belts, etc)

Glass (your headlamps, windshields etc)

Trim (your seat covers, cup holders etc)

Bodywork (your sheet steel and panels etc)

NONE of those would be covered by any off the peg warranty either, so nothing different so far BUT when it comes to things like wheel bearings, hubs etc, and off the peg warranty would need the part to break/fail, suddenly let go and breakdown, it would not cover a noisy wheel bearing for example, but a Toyota extended warranty certainly would

Every single day we have people coming in with off the peg warranties they have bought online, only to find they are rubbish, most popular complaints, noisy bearings, not covered, claim limits (£500 limit including VAT, cost of job £600, leaving customer to pay the difference) Delays in waiting for an engineer to inspect the car, then deny the claim days later wasting the customers time, some policies require you to pay up front, then claim it back, some policies have an excess, customer has to pay first £50 or £100 or whatever it is

Hoovie

I see the poor service and quality provided by these off the peg warranties on a daily basis. The Toyota extended warranty is not for everyone, BUT if it's an extensive peace of mind cover you are after, it beats the others hands down

Not quite sure I understand your question, but you only get 1 year AA cover and you can buy futher cover if you want it, that's as I understand it anyway

No the Toyota extended warranty does not cover everything but it covers a darn sight more than off the peg rubbish

We went with Warranty Direct on our 02 4.2 auto & can't complain. Of course it is a form of insurance but my better half likes the car, doesn't want to sell it but wants some security. Mr. T can't provide it but Warranty Direct can.

Like I say, it's not for everyone as the criteria is quite strict. For instance, you have to have the car serviced by a dealer (Yes you do, forget block exemption, it does not apply to extended warranty!) and there are mileage limits, but the cover is second to none

When we bought our 4.3 from a main dealer we negotiated a 2 year extended warranty as part of the deal; I say negotiated, it was offered instead of a reduction in the ticket price we had negotiated and a one year warranty. For me and the missus the 2nd year was worth more than the discount. The car was bought new from them and has fully serviced / maintained from that same dealership eversince, so by the time it finally leaves the care of a Toyota Extended Warranty it'll be 8 years old.

Compare this to the 3 months being offered by many other chains for their used cars, with there extended 2 year warranty running at anywhere between £500-£700 AND usually being insurance based, and I think it was good value.

Like I say, it's not for everyone as the criteria is quite strict. For instance, you have to have the car serviced by a dealer (Yes you do, forget block exemption, it does not apply to extended warranty!) and there are mileage limits, but the cover is second to none

True -ish. You can opt for Toyota dealer service or WD's appointed dealer network. We went for Mr. T; more expensive but not much. Mileage is declared at proposal stage so unless you get your estimated annual mileage totally wrong, there shouldn't be an issue.

I have to say, any claim that we submitted was dealt with quickly; no engineer's visits and they didn't ask for any contribution other than the age-related %-age which applies to all the warranties and is clearly stated up front. I don't doubt that you see way more of these than most of us would, but that doesn't mean that all the claims are problematic.

I see the poor service and quality provided by these off the peg warranties on a daily basis. The Toyota extended warranty is not for everyone, BUT if it's an extensive peace of mind cover you are after, it beats the others hands down

Not quite sure I understand your question, but you only get 1 year AA cover and you can buy futher cover if you want it, that's as I understand it anyway

No the Toyota extended warranty does not cover everything but it covers a darn sight more than off the peg rubbish

I was teasing ya :D

ref my convoluted question .... I was able to call Club Toyota when the vehicle was coming up to 3 years old (so owned by me well over a year, and extended warranty not started yet) and get the AA or RAC or whichever to come out on numerous occasions FOC to start the motor due to flat (& rubbish) Battery and I am pretty sure I had that Club Toyota cover as part of buying extended warranty and it automatically 'bridging the gap' between first 12 months Club Toyota and Extended Warranty Club Toyota

But after 7 years (?) Mr. T will not renew it so you have two choices: no warranty or an external warranty.

You can renew warranty at the seven year point for two more years which gives a warranty until the car is 9 years old.

My car was bought from an independent garage, but has a full Toyota service history. Do I assume that I cannot buy an extended warranty from Toyota if the car was not bought from a main dealer. It is now just 5 years old, but only has 16000 miles on it. So Kingo, would a main dealer check it over and then issue a warranty, assuming it passed the test!

You can renew warranty at the seven year point for two more years which gives a warranty until the car is 9 years old.

We had our '02 from new (July, 02). At end of 3 yr standard warranty I took out the extended one every year until July, 2009 (end of 7th year) when Mr.T, he said, "No!".

Ainsley, according to this:

http://www.toyota.co...erSalesWarranty

'An Extended Warranty can be taken out at any time in the first eight years or 100000 miles of your car's life'

Many thanks, I will talk to them tomorrow, and really good feedback from the forum.

True -ish. You can opt for Toyota dealer service or WD's appointed dealer network. We went for Mr. T; more expensive but not much. Mileage is declared at proposal stage so unless you get your estimated annual mileage totally wrong, there shouldn't be an issue.

I have to say, any claim that we submitted was dealt with quickly; no engineer's visits and they didn't ask for any contribution other than the age-related %-age which applies to all the warranties and is clearly stated up front. I don't doubt that you see way more of these than most of us would, but that doesn't mean that all the claims are problematic.

Sorry, I meant to say, with a TOYOTA extended warranty, you have to have it serviced with a Toyota dealer, off the peg warranties use either dealer/independant or a list of approved agents

Why so dear?

I pay around £1 a day for my extended warranty from "inchcape toyota" £35 a month

We had our '02 from new (July, 02). At end of 3 yr standard warranty I took out the extended one every year until July, 2009 (end of 7th year) when Mr.T, he said, "No!".

I think it changed this year.

Sorry, I meant to say, with a TOYOTA extended warranty, you have to have it serviced with a Toyota dealer, off the peg warranties use either dealer/independent or a list of approved agents

Kingo, with my warranty Toyota recommends you have the service done at a Toyota dealer, but they will allow you to use another shop as long as you call them for prior authorization. But personally, I would prefer a Toyota shop even if they have to tow it 100 miles!

BTW, the Toyota warranty I chose is for 8 years/75,000 miles whichever comes first. Since I only average 6600 miles a year, I figured that would be a good plan. The warranty cost me $659 from a Toyota dealer in Kansas. When I bought the car, my dealer tried to sell me one with less coverage for over $1400!

I have the Mr T extended warranty and am very happy to have purchased this BUT the small print needs reading carefully. Been informed that my RAV4 will need new front discs next MOT. Thought the "MOT test cover" would cover me against this bill but the MOT test cover only covers parts covered by the extended warranty and under "Exclusions" brakes are classified as normal wear and tear items apparently. Hopefully my garage is wrong but my reading of the small print is that i will have to pay the costs.

I have the Mr T extended warranty and am very happy to have purchased this BUT the small print needs reading carefully. Been informed that my RAV4 will need new front discs next MOT. Thought the "MOT test cover" would cover me against this bill but the MOT test cover only covers parts covered by the extended warranty and under "Exclusions" brakes are classified as normal wear and tear items apparently. Hopefully my garage is wrong but my reading of the small print is that i will have to pay the costs.

Depends what is wrong with them. If they are worn that is one thing but if for instance they judder then claims have successfully been made in the past.

Depends what is wrong with them. If they are worn that is one thing but if for instance they judder then claims have successfully been made in the past.

I had all 4 discs replaced under the Toyota warranty on my RAV4.2 at 4 years old and around 40,000 miles after I was getting a judder on braking.

I *think* I had to pay something towards the cost of new pads, but the rest was FOC.

I also had a new exhaust on a Celica fitted at no cost (!). Also replaced a electric switch for the air-con rad fan, BUT they wouldn't replace a broken electric window switch that broke 35 days after I bought the car.

Seem to apply some quite illogical rules sometimes :)

Kingo, with my warranty Toyota recommends you have the service done at a Toyota dealer, but they will allow you to use another shop as long as you call them for prior authorization. But personally, I would prefer a Toyota shop even if they have to tow it 100 miles!

In the UK you don't get the choice, when you have an extended warranty, it has to be serviced by a Toyota dealer

You must have your vehicle serviced and inspected by a Toyota Dealer or Service Outlet at least once a year, (or more frequently for high mileage use) as set out in your service record booklet. (From the T&C's)

Was informed at my recent MOT that my front discs were pitted and would fail next MOT. I asked if my extended warranty covered this but was informed not so. Will wait and see next year when / if Mr T fails them.