Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T180 Rear Bumper And Reargaurd

CharlieFarlie

I have a bloke coming to look at My T180 the weekend who is apparently very fussy

Only scratch is on the rear plastic bumper and can be covered with one of those reargaurd things as in the link..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250878006562?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_667wt_698

Description say T180 2008 on.. My car is a 2006...................

On the top of My bumper there is a sort of black 1/4 moon shaped plastic cover with the designation "Rav4" on it and I'm concerned that the rear guard will not work with this plastic element in place ?? Do they all have this ??

Has anyone fitted one to a T180 ???

Cheers ..

Hi Charlie,

nice to see you about again fella! The RGM Rearguard: Yes, I've fitted exactly the one you have come up with on two RAV's - both 2008 ( no spare wheel ) variants. Dead easy to fit using the instuctions supplied. Work really well with dogs that travel in the boot and a boon to those who put their walking boots on by resting their foot on the rear bumper ( Grrrrrrrrrr! ). I'm guessing your motor has a spare wheel but I seem to remember you saying in one of your posts that changing to a rear door with a spare wheel mount was prohibitively expensive, so maybe not. I also seem to remember that there was a question mark about a different ( horizontal ) curve to the top of the bumper on the latter models. Photo attached of my installation. HTH

BTW - when you use snowfoam on the motor, how much effort do you make to hose it off before using your shampoo?

post-55348-0-06782900-1342621133_thumb.j

Hi Charlie,

nice to see you about again fella! The RGM Rearguard: Yes, I've fitted exactly the one you have come up with on two RAV's - both 2008 ( no spare wheel ) variants. Dead easy to fit using the instuctions supplied. Work really well with dogs that travel in the boot and a boon to those who put their walking boots on by resting their foot on the rear bumper ( Grrrrrrrrrr! ). I'm guessing your motor has a spare wheel but I seem to remember you saying in one of your posts that changing to a rear door with a spare wheel mount was prohibitively expensive, so maybe not. I also seem to remember that there was a question mark about a different ( horizontal ) curve to the top of the bumper on the latter models. Photo attached of my installation. HTH

BTW - when you use snowfoam on the motor, how much effort do you make to hose it off before using your shampoo?

Mate did You have to remove one before fitting ?? I have one already in place right at the front. I have taken a picture but Photobucket is playing up !!

Snowfoam.. Ah well there really are so many makes ant types all with different levels of efficiency...

Plus it depends on how clean and slippery the paints surface is as this affects how the grime sticks..

I usually foam and ;eave to stand for 10 mins or so then blast off with the pressure washer job done....

I did not go for the wheel conversion as the numbers just got silly !!

Thanks for the pics that looks to be just the job...

Charlie, when I had the T180, I fitted the rear bumper protector. The black plastic Rav4 that is already there will pull off, really it,s only for decoration. The only thing you must do and it looks like you have from your E/Bay seller is make sure it is for the T180, as it is a narrower top lip than the XT5,4,3 models ( which have the spare wheel on the rear door).

HTH

Regards Clare

That one of Chris's is the best one I've seen. Some of the dealer fitted ones I've seen in the past have had the edges of the existing aplique peeping out the sides when the instructions call for it to be carefully removed with a heat gun. That one in the picture covers the whole thing - much nicer job.

This is a picture of what is there at the moment ....

bumpere001.jpg

Just to confirm I am reading this right .. The section in place removes and the RGM Reargaurd drops in its place and all T180 bumpers are the same ?

Seller is reluctant to accept returns so need to check out before ordering ....

Thanks.

bumpere001.jpg

Just to confirm I am reading this right .. The section in place removes and the RGM Reargaurd drops in its place and all T180 bumpers are the same ?

Thanks.

Hi Charlie,

I didn't remove anything before fitting mine other that the plastic "rivets" shown in your photo. All you have to do is carefully clean the whole of the horizontal surface on the top of the bumper ( I used panel cleaner ), remove the rivets, peel back the covering on the end of the adhesive tape already fitted to the underside of the protector such that the end of the covering sticks out past the back edge of the protector ( do this at the door hinge end, makes the job dead easy! ), keeping the rear of the protector higher than the front edge - slide the protector into position and insert the rivets, pull the covering tape from under the protector and press the protector firmly into place. Job done in 10 minutes! Hardest part is cleaning the surface.

NOTE! Being a natural coward, I did a trial fit without removing the covering tape. :ermm:

I bought my protector directly from the RMG website. Can't find the site again so wonder if something has happened top the company.

bumpere001.jpg

Thanks.

Hi Charlie,

I didn't remove anything before fitting mine other that the plastic "rivets" shown in your photo. All you have to do is carefully clean the whole of the horizontal surface on the top of the bumper ( I used panel cleaner ), remove the rivets, peel back the covering on the end of the adhesive tape already fitted to the underside of the protector such that the end of the covering sticks out past the back edge of the protector ( do this at the door hinge end, makes the job dead easy! ), keeping the rear of the protector higher than the front edge - slide the protector into position and insert the rivets, pull the covering tape from under the protector and press the protector firmly into place. Job done in 10 minutes! Hardest part is cleaning the surface.

That one of Chris's is the best one I've seen. Some of the dealer fitted ones I've seen in the past have had the edges of the existing aplique peeping out the sides when the instructions call for it to be carefully removed with a heat gun. That one in the picture covers the whole thing - much nicer job.

Hi Don,

you can see the line in the moulding on the protector where it is designed to fit OVER the existing "decorative strip".

NOTE! Being a natural coward, I did a trial fit without removing the covering tape. :ermm:

I bought my protector directly from the RMG website. Can't find the site again so wonder if something has happened top the company.

bumpere001.jpg

Thanks.

Hi Charlie,

Hi Don,

you can see the line in the moulding on the protector where it is designed to fit OVER the existing "decorative strip".

Hi Don,

Ya beat me to it, Chris....the existing one stays on and gets partially covered by the new one.

Thanks Chris !!!!

Hi Don,

Ya beat me to it, Chris....the existing one stays on and gets partially covered by the new one.

It's 'cause your email is having to travel so far BK - a geomagraphical disadvantage I think! :thumbsup:

Just let me clarify!

There are 2 types. One doesn't cover it and to looks like a cobble up unless the original is removed. Chris's is the other and best because you can leave the original in place and it is fully covered.

Charlie, I fitted the bumper protector on my 2008. The existing narrow strip stays, and the protector fits over it secured with the existing 4 fasteners and 3M tape. The first picture shows the narrow strip and the bottom of the new protector with the red 3M tape. The second picture shows the completed job.

post-70699-0-13793200-1342670463_thumb.j

post-70699-0-11806500-1342670462_thumb.j

IIRC the bumper changed shape for the 2009 model, I had a 2009 and the bumper cover would not fit the slightly different shaped bumper, as far as I am aware the 2006 and 2008 bumpers are the same if no spare wheel mounted.

Gus

IIRC the bumper changed shape for the 2009 model, I had a 2009 and the bumper cover would not fit the slightly different shaped bumper, as far as I am aware the 2006 and 2008 bumpers are the same if no spare wheel mounted.

Gus

Well its ordered now and on its way so should be here Friday so I can get the scratches covered in time for the Guy arriving on Sunday...

Hopefully it will fit just fine ................

Thanks.

Charlie

My wife's RAV had that narrow strip that is on yours and when I had a new bumper put on the body shop (who are trustworthy and very good) couldn't get the strip off. They said they had tried with a heat gun but it wouldn't budge.

David

Charlie

My wife's RAV had that narrow strip that is on yours and when I had a new bumper put on the body shop (who are trustworthy and very good) couldn't get the strip off. They said they had tried with a heat gun but it wouldn't budge.

David

David.. It says above to leave that part in place so that's what I will do.. As soon as the rear guard arrives it will become apparent I'm sure..

Heres hoping he snaps your hand off and a deal is done!!!!

Regards Clare