Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Problem

bobbyboy

I have a Gen 2 Prius,went to my local Toyota dealer as I had a slow puncture,guy on reception came back in about 15 minutes and said you have a nail in the sidewall which means it cannot be repaired,I then said can I see the tyre,so the young tyre fitter turns up outside with the guy from reception,there is a screw in the middle of the thread,the mechanic then tells me he can't repair the tyre as the screw is going in to the tyre at an angle and he cannot repair it as it may have damaged the tyre elsewhere.I then said to the reception guy ,you said it was in the sidewall,his reply was I made a mistake or words to that effect.

My reply to that was stick the tyre in the boot and I will get the puncture repaired along the street.

I phoned the srevice manager and was told the reception guy made a mistake and they couldn't repair the tyre because the screw was in at an angle.I said I think you are trying to rip me off I am getting the puncture repaired elsewhere at this moment,I won't bore with the rest of the story!

I should say the tyre is a Michelin energy 3 months old fitted by the same dealer.

Any views

I suffered from three slow punctures over the past month and it was all because of stupid nails. In the end it costs me £5 each to have it repaired at a local garage. Bargain! It sounds to me like the young guy wanted to push you to purchase a new tyre, which is not uncommon, but more often in places like Halfords/Kwik Fit than the dealers. To be honest, if the nail is in the middle and nowhere near the sidewall, I would say it’s repairable.

Take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

Hi,got the tyre repaired 500 yards from the dealer.The Toyota dealer does not charge for puncture repairs,probably just to get the punters in to rip them off!,

If there is ANY side wall damage you will not get the tyre repaired by any reputable garage. If there is a puncture in the base of the tyre and assuming it hasn't gone through the threads or isn't too large, then you can get ONE puncture repair. Again, any reputable tyre place will not puncture repair a tyre twice.

Harsh I know but it's for a reason.

Hi as regards to a puncture repair the hole must be in the tread and as long as the repair patches do not overlap the tire can be repaired as many times as you like personally I will not drive on a tire that has a puncture repair anywhere or even a remold tires are to important to be messed with.

Hi as regards to a puncture repair the hole must be in the tread and as long as the repair patches do not overlap the tire can be repaired as many times as you like personally I will not drive on a tire that has a puncture repair anywhere or even a remold tires are to important to be messed with.

I'd say we're both right and both wrong.

A tyre rated V and over can only be repaired ONCE. The stock Bridgestones on my gen3 Prius are V rated and I guess yours will be also.

Lesser tyres below V can be repaired more often but whether you'd want to is your choice! Personally I wouldn't as I've seen first hand the damage caused by blow outs.

Hi Grumpy this is the information I have to hand

Michelin says that if the puncture is in the crown and is no bigger than one-quarter inch, the speed rating is not affected as long as the repair is done according to the company's guidelines.

Toyo says its tires may be repaired and returned to service, but any tire rated W (more than 168 m.p.h.), V, Z or VR (a V-rated radial) should be considered to have an H rating.

Likewise, Bridgestone/Firestone says it no longer considers the tire to be speed rated for two reasons. First, there is no way of knowing what kind of damage the body may have suffered. Second, there is no way to guarantee the repair quality. Though the tire may retain its integrity, the company considers the speed rating for any repaired tire nullified.

Pirelli doesn't recommend repairing its tires because it cannot be 100 percent sure of the repair's quality.

Yokohama says that once a tire is repaired, it is no longer speed-rated, saying any repair will add weight to the tire in a localized area, which may increase the centrifugal force. This can affect the tire's durability at high speeds.

Tire repair folks see this situation differently.

Tech International, a long-time supplier of tire repair products that conducts tire repair training programs lasting several days at its Johnstown, Ohio, headquarters, says repairs, even multiples, may be made to H-, V- and Z-rated tires, but they must be limited to the tread area and the injury must be no larger than one-quarter inch. Tech warns, however, that any repaired tires' speed ratings are effectively reduced to H.

The OEM tires for my Prius are W rated as in my opinion the down grading of the tire speed rating is a factor in the repair and most punctures not all are in a older tire it is not worth keeping the tire just replace it for new.

Which location or jurisdiction are you refering to?

But anyhow, if you want to get a tyre repaired more than once and can find someone who will legally repair it, then it's your choice, your car and your life.

The other question you have to ask is that if a new tyre costs £70 inc vat and fitting, at what point does a repair at £15-£20 a pop become viable. Personally, being a professional driver, driving massive miles carrying members of the public and peoples children, I make 110% sure my tyres are as good as they can be.

This information is from the tire manufacturer so is not from a particular location I have never seen any law that say's you cannot repair a tire more than once (if the repair is done to the manufacturers issued instructions) I have however had tire repairers come out with any rubbish to sell a tire and not repair it .However even at £160 a tire and only being a "amateur " driver carrying loved ones and friends over huge distances for the last 44 years I will not drive on a repaired tire for my own peace of mind.

Two points; Given the average driver gets a puncture every 6-7 years, it really isn't a big issue is it. Also reducing the speed rating to H, or 133 miles per hour is enough for me.

I've had many punctures and many repairs done on various brand of tyres on various cars i've owned and I have never had a problem. I personally don't think it's as big a problem you guys made it out to be. However I understand how careful you have to be when you're a professional driver.

Safety etc. is obviously a concern, but the really big question for me is, if the garage can't even get a five minute puncture repair sorted without confusion and ambiguity how could you ever trust them to do anything remotely more complicated?!

Fuel economy loving this warm weather, btw.