Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid T-Spirit Groans When I Get In!

Allan P

When I get in my 2010 Auris Hybrid T-Spirit, the car makes a strange sort of groaning noise for a couple of seconds before I have a chance to start it or do anything else. Does anyone know what that is?

Maybe it's trying to tell you something :)

Handbrakes not fully applied can make weird noises if the car moves a fraction but tbh it's impossible to diagnose at a distance. Hardly a groan though. Also things like antiroll bar joints (and I guess any suspension joints/moving parts) can make groaning noises if they are faulty.

So you need to pin the noise down a bit more.

But this is a Toyota and they don't normally suffer such issues. Could the noise be anything to so with the Hybrid technology and you are hearing the invertor although I wouldn't have thought a "groan" would be the kind of noise that would make, more a high frequency whine.

Could it be the suspension or shocks?

LOL!! Is this a new noise? If not then it's probably just the HSD waking up. As soon as you open the driver's door it starts to prepare itself for the next fuel saving journey by bringing various systems online.

Try driving, stopping and shutting down; sit in the car for 20 minutes and it makes all sorts of strange weird shutting down noises!

I hope it's nothing more serious.

Mike

No it's something to do with the Hybrid side of things starting up, mine does it too, sounds more like a pump running rather than a groan

Kingo :thumbsup:

Try driving, stopping and shutting down; sit in the car for 20 minutes and it makes all sorts of strange weird shutting down noises!

That's true. Mine sits there making a noise like a ZX Spectrum loading (audible from the outside, from the engine bay). I think the ECU is playing Jetpac when it thinks we're not looking.

Mine also 'groans' when I open the door, but as already said it's some kind of electrical thing waking up. Nothing to be concerned about at all.

That's true. Mine sits there making a noise like a ZX Spectrum loading (audible from the outside, from the engine bay). I think the ECU is playing Jetpac when it thinks we're not looking.

Mine also 'groans' when I open the door, but as already said it's some kind of electrical thing waking up. Nothing to be concerned about at all.

Jetpac on the ZX S eh??? Now you're showing your age! :lol:

I thought that groan was the car saying, "Good grief, not 'im again!"

Seriously though, I believe that noise is the various electronic bits and pieces getting ready for you to push the Start button so reducing the "boot" time until the car is ready for you to drive.

Dave.

Could it be the electric steering lock releasing?

Thanks for all the replies. My guess would be that it is indeed something to do with the HSD waking up, and it's good to know that other people know what I'm talking about!

Mine does exactly the same!