Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 2 Tailgate Collects Water

RelaxedDrive

I have noticed that whenever it has been raining and I later open the tailgate(when dry), water runs out of the tailgate at both ends at the hinge end - is that normal?

I am surprised it collects so easily inside - seems like a strange design!

Water gets into all sorts of places. You'll find that manufacturers have anticipated this by installing drain holes in many panels, doors and hatches. The worry comes if that water starts getting into the car. A common place on the Prius is through the ariel if it has been damaged in a car wash etc.

What is even more annoying is the way when you open the doors water drips onto the seats. It happened on my Gen 2 and now it happens on my Gen 3. It drives me mad especially with the summer we've been having.

Yep, my tailgate does that. It is surprising how much water sometimes, and if you open the tailgate fully sometime after a heavy rain storm, it is enough of a torrent of water to splash/spot the inside boot or back of the rear head-rests.

When I used to use lots of water to wash the car, I'd also get dribbles of water, for ages, on both vertical inside edges of the recessed area of the tailgate (the rear number plate being in the middle of recessed area).

Yep, my tailgate does that. It is surprising how much water sometimes, and if you open the tailgate fully sometime after a heavy rain storm, it is enough of a torrent of water to splash/spot the inside boot or back of the rear head-rests.

Glad it's not just me then! And yes, I have seen it splash on the rear head-rests and also when doors are opened! I guess it doesn't rain much in Japan...