Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A Yaris In The Near Future

Gawley

hello everyone

I'm thinking of trading in my 2006 Skoda Fabia VRS for a 2010+ Yaris

Buying a new car for the missus and I to share.

Just wanting to ask for any advice on choosing a good one, Having owned a car that has its fair share of minor problems

Are there any questions I should ask of the dealer ?

Any issues that are easily fixed that I could haggle down the price over?

Petrol or diesel> If petrol 1 litre or 1.3?

Also I would love to hear some praise for the car from owners as I personally don't know anyone who owns one.

my friend has a 2002 T-sport which I was always very impressed with and he never had any trouble with it.

any advice would be much appreciated, many thanks

Gawley (newbie)

Hi Gawley :)

I had a 2008 Yaris, 1.0 and I found it to be powerful enough. In saying that, I got a new Yaris recently and its a 1.3. The day I collected my new Yaris, there was a couple taking my old one out for a test drive, turns out they bought it, so that was a quick sale - they must have been impressed with the Yaris. I've always found the Yaris to be comfortable and reliable. Plenty of storage too. As you're after a 2010 model, it'll have sliding rear seats, they all had them until they brought out the new Yaris. Petrol's probably better if you're just going to be driving round town.

You should be okay if you're getting it from a (Toyota) dealer as they really do give them a good checking over before trading in. And if you've any problems they'll soon sort you out.

I've not had any issues with the Yaris and this one's my 3rd. Must be good if I keep going back for more :D

Lorna

Hi Gawley,

I too previously owned a Fabia vRS with its fair share of problems, so I know exactly where you are coming from! :) I got rid of my Skoda....sorry I mean traded in my Skoda for a Yaris 1.8SR and have been happy with it now for coming up to 4 years of ownership.

Toyota dealers are excellent in the way they treat you, even though I've only ever had to go for a recall, after which they gave my car a full valet, and free car washing accessory kit for the inconvenience. A world apart from the poor service I received from a Skoda main dealer.

This is my 3rd Toyota and I've been satisfied with every one of them.

thats amazing guys thanks very much for the info

cbzcbz: yeah i've had many problems with the fabia - new turbo, head gasket, intercooler pipe clips failing. i love the car to bits but i dont want to own it while its lying in bits lol

guest: i test drove the 1.3 and it was smooth and quiet. was also surprised at how much space there was compared to similar sized cars eg. fiesta and swift. i put the drivers seat to my driving position and was amazed at the room i had when i sat in the back seat :clap: any small hatch i've owned has never had that much space

the car dealer i went to wasn't a toyota dealer so i may look into the local toyota dealership to speak with them.

again thanks very much for your comments

Toyota dealers are excellent in the way they treat you, even though I've only ever had to go for a recall, after which they gave my car a full valet, and free car washing accessory kit for the inconvenience. A world apart from the poor service I received from a Skoda main dealer.

Agreed. 100%

Diesel if you're going to be doing a fair bit of motorway driving, otherwise one of the petrols. The 1.0 is better if it's mainly for town driving but the 1.33 has a bit more oomph which may make it a nicer transition since you're coming from a more powerful car.

I'd give them all a test drive if possible :)

The Yaris is generally a pretty bulletproof car; The 2010 is the last of the Mk2's so any major problems will have been ironed out (Like the clutch problem which was common on the original 2006-era Mk2's)

thats amazing guys thanks very much for the info

cbzcbz: yeah i've had many problems with the fabia - new turbo, head gasket, intercooler pipe clips failing. i love the car to bits but i dont want to own it while its lying in bits lol

Sounds like a familiar story. My vRS was also great fun and economical, but it also had the intercooler leak, water leaks on 3 out of 4 doors, electrics failed on the tailgate so kept jamming shut. And to top it off, during one of the many visits to the Skoda dealer, they managed to shut the seatbelt buckle in the back door and dented the outer edge of rear wheel arch! Will never buy VAG again as my mates have had similar experiences with VW and Skoda.

Toyotas are a safe bet really, backed up by excellent Dealer service, and the guys on here are very knowledgeable and always give peeps good advice, including myself :)

I have just got a 07 1.4 Yaris D4D diesel SR going from a 1.3 petrol Yaris the difference has amazed me having that bit more power behind you especially on the Motorway. Would fully recommend Toyota to anybody. The dealers are brilliant from start to finish

• 2 weeks later...

I had a brand new fabia monte carlo... 6 months of pure hell, solicitors involved, fos and FINALLY skoda accepted it back! Seems to be a common theme eh

It certainly seems a common them mate. I know 4 work colleagues who've had Skodas, and all have had problems except one. Similarly I know friends of the family who have had similar experiences with VWs. It seems they get great road test reports, but its a different thing owning one, and to top it off, the service and back up from dealers is awful.

• 3 weeks later...

VAG group are more interested in sales figures and becoming the 'biggest car company'.. they no longer watch the crap they churn off their production lines! I miss my little toyota, I'll be coming back soon with a 1.8 SR Yaris hopefully! Looked at the t sport corolla but don't really need that much 'power'... tax was a bit mental and MPG is even worse! I love the beefy look of the 1.8 SR over the 1.3 SR.