Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Failed Mot Because Of Loose Drivers Seat

joelsoo

hi,

my avensis verso failed MOT because the test guy said the driver seat was loose.

i took it apart and found out that its the slack on the height adjustable system that has slight free play. (knob u twist so the chair gets jacked up and down)

just wondering if the MOT guy is just trying to pull a fast one and the slack is normal? or is my seat really due for a replacement and i would need to sort it out one from the breakers?

if i got no choice but to replace, i would like to know if the avensis verso and the avensis shares the same seat?! if so, it opens up the gates of my search for a replacement better otherwise trying to find the same color, same year (with airbag) without costing an arm and leg in exchange for it is prooving difficult.

any help appreciated.

thanks

Joel

i just had a look again, and it seems that nothing is wrong, because its a mechanical part/system for the adjustable height of the seat, there is bound to have movement/play. i had taken apart the side plastic mouldings and returning to the MOT station tomorrow morning, and show the tester the mechanisms and hopefully he will pass it after seeing its slight free play on the mechanism naturally and nothing broken/damaged.

btw, the fixing points and movement points does not seem to have any evidence of wear and tear..

if he's anal about it, i will prob get abit of steel plate and bolt screws and screw the lift and drop adjustable system dead in place so there's no movement once and for all, however that means i cannot adjust the height of the seat pad but it has always been on its highest anyway as i much prefer to drive in a high seating position..

wish me luck...

thanks

Joel

go to another test station

In the first instance I would ask another testing station or better still a main dealer because they see these day in and day out and just ask whether in their opinion the fail is reasonable or not. It either is or it isn't.

If the opinion is that it should not have failed then there is an appeals procedure,

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022113

Let us know how you get on.