Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Fitting Front Wiper

Metoo

I've done an extensive search on here, and on Google, saw pics as well and still can't change the wiper. Had a 55 plate from nearly new, and wiper has been changed once to a Halfords model, at MOT though, so didn't do it myself, had a Bosch one now for 3 weeks and for the life of me can't remove the Halfords one. I can't find any "lugs" of any kind to press or any clips, of all the things I've done on the Aygo, cant believe a wiper has me stumped. Any guidance would be really welcome.

1. Do not "Try this".

The Aygo wiper arm does not lift up like that , you'll break someting.

If you've searched on here, you will have found various threads about changing the wiper

but I suppose every type is different. My latest have a hinged flap like a trap-door over the hook end!

It'll be trial & error. Go back to basics.

You know the shape of the hook. So......The wiper end has to push towards the open end of

the hook. It MAY just have raised lumps so it is a very tight fit.

Try a couple af smart taps on the end of the old wiper towards the open end of the hook.

The hook has a couple of small holes in it that perhaps something has engaged into.

Have a really close look for any part that may spring up / down into those holes.

Use your little finger at the open end of the hook. See if ANYTHING has a tiny amount of movement in it.

To do its job, it only has to be very small. Use a good torch to get a really close look.

Main thing to remember, the whole wiper MUST move towards the open end of the hook.

Something is stopping this.

Ian.

Thanks Raistlin, wish it was as easy as my previous cars where you could lift the whole wiper off the windscreen and push down, kinda missing that now, being beaten by a wiperblade ha!.

Unklian, thanks for your reply too, I saw one of your previous posts and a step by step guide, completely foolproof, however i'm definately feeling a fool, been out twice this morning and still no joy. I do have a what looks to be a hinged flap over where the end of the arm will be, however can't find anything that would release it although it doesn't look like it would unhinge as such either it looks part of the whole wiper if you get my meaning. Should I be looking at the left or the right of the arm for the clip that releases it?

I would assume as you can't lift the wiper arm, that the clip release should be accessible from the top of the arm so that only light lifting of the arm will release the wiper once unclipped? Am I right in assuming this? Either end of the hinge looks as though it could be lifted so having trouble deciding what side should pop up.

Many thanks

Any chance of a couple of close-up pictures?

Somebody might recognise it.

Ian.

EDIT......Type in "wiper blade hook" on Google Images.

You may find instructions or post a link to the picture of your attachment.

Just had a look at mine which is a recent model OEM.

Standing in front of the car lift the arm just clear of the screen. Put a finger into the space between the walls of the wiper blade carrier from the screen side so pointing back at your face, in the middle, just left of the hook, above the blade rubber. You may be able to feel a little tang that you can push towards you - this releases the blade assembly which can then be slid to your left out of the hook.

But I expect the Halfords one will be weird ....

Unklian, I googled what you wrote and found a picture which was identical, on the Peugeot though, again step by step guide, and all i've ended up with is a very sore finger trying to find a release clip but found more googling wiper blade hook so thanks for that, the "adapter" does move very slightly up and down however wont budge, spade screwdriver is coming to mind though, fingers can't take much more.

Mike Sh, will give that a try tomorrow for sure, now I know to come from the bottom to top to release. I know it's going to be one of those things where when it comes off i'm going to feel very silly as it'll be simple.

Metoo,

Been messing with cars for years, got grey hair and am no teenager and I'm having trouble with the wife's wiper off.....so, I'm just as daft as you......or conversely is it an actual pain to get off? Methinks the latter!!

Regards,

B

Fitted one today on my wifes Aygo no problem, there is not a lot of clearance of being able to lift the blade from the screen due to the design, Gently lift the arm and blade, press the small retaining arm on the blade at the open hook end and slide blade down and out. Fitted a new Champion Blade and found it more difficult to put on, than take off.

I have just changed ours. The OEM one was easy to get off, the Bosch replacement was a devil of a job as the slot for the hook isn't as long as the OEM wiper and not being able to pull the wiper all the way back means very little room.

In the end brute force and ignorance won the day and the Bosch went on.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the wiper off over the weekend, I think the one I had was different from the ones described above.

Anyway it came off, fitted one of the new pre shaped type without the springs, so far no scratching/scraping sounds in use.

B

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links