Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Valve On 1.8 Petrol?

Roker

Does my 1.8 vvTi petrol have a EGR valve? if so does it need regular cleaning? and where is it located?

Probably, but as Petrol burns clean its not likely to clog like a diesel. So its unlikely its going to need any maintenance.

Petrol engines do not have (= need) an EGR valve, so don't worry.

Petrol engines do not have (= need) an EGR valve, so don't worry.

Yes they do on some models.

Could you pls tell us what models that would be?

I guess that modern petrol engine technology doesn't use them, but the question is what is "modern".

Thanks.

Here you go http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-avensis-2-0-vvti-99-02-model-egr-valve-/271021645373?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1a261e3d 2.0 VVTi

A lot of Vauxhalls until the mid 00's also have them. They are much rarer on Petrol engines but some do have them.

OK, thanks for the heads-up.

I knew that for instance Saab experimented with petrol EGRs in the late 1990's, but didn't know about extensive use by Vauxhall/Opel.

Saab dropped the petrol EGR quickly as obsolete technology and so did Toyota.

i know the 1.8 7AFE engine does not have one but not sure about the 1.8 vvti?

• 10 months later...

Hi guys, any luck with the EGR valve on a petrol 1.8 t3x - vvti (engine is 1ZZ-FE ). I want to clean it myself but i am struggling to find whereabouts it is I have attached a picture of the engine, if someone reads this and knows could you post the picture back with a location arrow or similar. The symptoms are sometime, sluggish, loss of power in acceleration, & engine management light, code p1409 comes up & points at something like this.

I have already cleaned the throttle body, changed air filter. My next steps are 1. Clean EGR 2. Look at lambda sensors 3. Possibly replace or check the cam pulley rubber inside vvti cam shaft housing.

Toyota said straight away my vvti is going & they need to change the whole thing (typical of them @ £400).

I also read about Wynn's EGR valve cleaning spray - but a lot of people don't seem to agree with the method of cleaning the EGR this way, any thoughts on that ? - I would rather dismantle and clean it 'by hand'.

Thanks fellow Toyota owners..

Note not sure my picture will appear as i was not sure if i linked it correctly.

post-56447-0-02831800-1371467565_thumb.j

there is no egr valve on your car.only in the diesel models..clean your pcv valve its on the top right hand side of engine hose runs from that to throttle body take the valve out with a deep socket clean out and clean hose too replace with ptfe tape.

Thanks Frank ! That explains why i could not find anything about that on the web then !.

Will try that out - is that something that can affect performance if it's dirty ?

is it anywhere on the picture i posted ? If so would you mind throwing the pic back at me with a arrow or something to point at it ?

post-114983-0-51693300-1366413334.jpg

thats the pcv valve from the side.it runs from there till the plastic manifold take off and clean out along with the hose. sorry for late reply.