Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.2 Mpg Problem

Adam Atchinson

hey there guys

im new around here just swapped my fiesta st for a auris t180 so im coming from the fiesta STOC ;)

anyways i have picked up my auris first thing i did was cleaned the egr valve and put a can of that bg244 ( i think thats the name )

and im only getting bout 32 MPG out of it is this normal or is there anything else you could suggest

many thanks

Adam

Reset your ECU - by disconnecting Battery leads from the terminals for 5-10 minutes.

When you reconnect everything should be reset then start driving economical it will relearn your driving style, if your after MPG generally 40 MPG local route is achievable and 45-50 on a stretch, but the 2.2 is known to be thirsty.

If its still bad get it serviced, oil and filters and IF its got a blocked Diesel particulate filter wont help with MPG take it for a long drive but that depends on previous owners driving style.

Try the above as I have. I'm only doing 28mpg. and that was calculated by the old fashioned method of full tank to full tank calculations. The Fuel computer shows me I'm doing 27mpg and 30mpg on an long journey of 1000miles to Germany and back. I'll be changing the car soon to something more efficient, back to a VAG I think.

They have been panned on here for years, do the basic maintenance pointers as suggested and try a Lindops/Tune It piggyback tuning box which has a money back guarantee. Either that or only use the car at 56MPH on cruise in 5th on warm days :D ;)

well im getting 31.6MPG on the computer not used a full tank yet to calculate it the old fasioned way but it does have 2 odd crap tyres on the front and 2 conti's on the back so could be that causing it to be bit crap cheers for all ur help though lads

i think i have found the problem its the cruse control as if im doing 80 i get bout 37-40 MPG but if i do 80 held on cruse i only get 31 hope this is of help to somebody

With the greatest of respect, do you also think that "doing 80" could be a contributing factor too? :)

probs bout its still just as bad going slower so still not problem solved i could get 29MPG in a tuned 2.0L fiesta so

Another option you have is clean the MAF Sensor located on top of the airbox, if the wires are dirty it will rob your MPG & performance. Use some cleaning spray and a cotton bud avoid breaking the wires as its very thin and dont flood it with cleaning spray or it will trigger the engine management light. 5 minute job.

MAF_Pic2.JPG

I always clean it at every service never seen it drop less than 38-40 Local route.

I would agree not the most economical for a diesel but far more reliable and comfortable than your average french, and VAG Cars.

VAG diesels are economical but known failure on them is injectors, flywheels, coolant temperature causing engine management issues and weak turbos, not to forget ABS sensors and etc so take your pick? All modern diesels suffer the diesel particulate filter clogging if driven only on short journeys. with diesel you will always have these issues as they are more complicated. in terms of performance the 2.2 is comparabe with the likes of the GOLF 170 TDI, and LEON CUPRA FR TDI.

With the greatest of respect, do you also think that "doing 80" could be a contributing factor too? :)

No, no, Driving any other DERV will reward you with MPG's of 35+, at almost any speed on a motorway under 100mph. 2litre 2.5litres or 1.6 litre. It is just the Auris that suffers from low mpg.

I'm giving mine 1 more chance and changing the MAF.

No, no, Driving any other DERV will reward you with MPG's of 35+, at almost any speed on a motorway under 100mph. 2litre 2.5litres or 1.6 litre. It is just the Auris that suffers from low mpg.

I'm giving mine 1 more chance and changing the MAF.

Another option you have is clean the MAF Sensor located on top of the airbox, if the wires are dirty it will rob your MPG & performance. Use some cleaning spray and a cotton bud avoid breaking the wires as its very thin and dont flood it with cleaning spray or it will trigger the engine management light. 5 minute job.

MAF_Pic2.JPG

I always clean it at every service never seen it drop less than 38-40 Local route.

I would agree not the most economical for a diesel but far more reliable and comfortable than your average french, and VAG Cars.

VAG diesels are economical but known failure on them is injectors, flywheels, coolant temperature causing engine management issues and weak turbos, not to forget ABS sensors and etc so take your pick? All modern diesels suffer the diesel particulate filter clogging if driven only on short journeys. with diesel you will always have these issues as they are more complicated. in terms of performance the 2.2 is comparabe with the likes of the GOLF 170 TDI, and LEON CUPRA FR TDI.

I do agree with you. VAG are not bullet proof but the Auris mpg is woeful and they are a bit "Numb" to drive.

The Auris is using a very old engine that's been nipped and tucked, whilst most other cars are using newer diesel tech - the Auris doesn't stand a chance in the MPG arena.

It is a well known fact that cruise control is bad for MPG in ANY car, regardless of make. The car cannot predict when to adjust the throttle so does so on a reactive basis when the cars speed changes, and not on a pre-emptive basis as you would with your own right foot.

My advice is to lighten your right foot, not use the cruise control, and stick at 70mph. Bear in mind that the SR180 is limited by it's own ageing design and will NEVER see MPG levels like its competitors.

Agree with the above. VAG Use pump duse engines probably a better design for terms of economy, but needs a cambelt change at every 5-6 years or 60,000 miles which ever comes first which involves cost at around £300+ not to mention a rib belt for ancillaries and perhaps a waterpump

Toyota D4D are an old design common rail engines which may explain worse economy, though keep in mind no cambelt change is required every 60,000 miles which is a little cheaper. :giljotiini:

• 2 weeks later...

It is a well known fact that cruise control is bad for MPG in ANY car, regardless of make. The car cannot predict when to adjust the throttle so does so on a reactive basis when the cars speed changes, and not on a pre-emptive basis as you would with your own right foot.

My advice is to lighten your right foot, not use the cruise control, and stick at 70mph. Bear in mind that the SR180 is limited by it's own ageing design and will NEVER see MPG levels like its competitors.

This is not really true the T180 we found was very agressive at appliny the throtle on cruis control were the Honda is not CTR and CRZ, I will add that with the CRZ we managed 62MPG using cruise control when Honda only quote 64MPG extra urban

Honda man this is a Toyota fourm stop running Toyota down when u don't have one anymore do one.

Iam starting to agree with all the negative things with the auris,Toyota are just getting by on their reputation from yesteryear,worst purchase I've ever made and nobody will touch it and its been for sale well under book price,2009 plate Sr with 21k miles.these cars are going to show up on bargain basement car lots very soon.so if Mr Toyota ever reads this forum,take your head oot yer ***** and take note of what your customers are moaning about.

Honda man this is a Toyota fourm stop running Toyota down when u don't have one anymore do one.

toys and pram, may I suggest you stay with your toys in the pram.

I would not mind but the comment was only an opinion on what we have experianced with cruise control (only ever drove cruise control with Toyota and Honda) and for sure the Toyota was or seemed to be very aggressive or was this the high torque of the T180?

Iam starting to agree with all the negative things with the auris,Toyota are just getting by on their reputation from yesteryear,worst purchase I've ever made and nobody will touch it and its been for sale well under book price,2009 plate Sr with 21k miles.these cars are going to show up on bargain basement car lots very soon.so if Mr Toyota ever reads this forum,take your head oot yer ***** and take note of what your customers are moaning about.

We was happy with the car up until the MPG dropped by around 30% with no reasons to be found and then you seem to question your driving style etc, what we found when we wanted to trade was all the dealers were saying people dont want them because they are thirsty and the people who do want a 5 door (we had 3 door T180). What I will say there was a big difference in what dealers would offer up and down the country but in the end we did get a reasonable trade in value even though we lost around £3k in 2 years, now most will not think that is bad which to be fair is not but on the CRZ we bought and traded this in at a main Honda dealer and we only lost £700 in 9 months / 9000 miles of ownership but in the same breath one Honda dealer offered £3000 less than we got.

Lol somebody threw there dummy out ha ha ha

toys and pram, may I suggest you stay with your toys in the pram.

I would not mind but the comment was only an opinion on what we have experianced with cruise control (only ever drove cruise control with Toyota and Honda) and for sure the Toyota was or seemed to be very aggressive or was this the high torque of the T180?

I would not mind your opition ethier but every reply u make rickd4d it's else Toyota are poor compaired to your honda dry your eyes every car has there faults sure your well shot of it why are u still moaning about it and stop throwing the dummy out of the pram lol

I run a TR D4D and regularly get 55 mpg and 62 mpg on a long run my last full tank the car did 625 miles with a bit left over. I can only say that you are gunning your car all the time and obviously not trying to make the car economical. Sure it's a fast car and they love being gunned but you won't get good mpg having a right foot made of lead. I love the SR and just know that you will regret it if you sell it...

You are comparing completely different engines and have no idea how any of us drive.

my average is 42mpg and i do NOT thrash my car. Its thirsty, and that is common knowledge among T/SR180 owners.

Well said Dave - after a 310 ml round trip today, I averaged exactly 42 MPG. I did not drive like a saint, but nor did I drive like a teenager in someone elses Impreza Turbo. I cruised at 60'ish on the A-roads & 70'ish on the dual carriageway/motorway stretches. I overtook when it was safely possible & necessary to maintain a decent rate of progress (ie. passing all the dangerous fools doing 35-40 mph in a 60 zone). That does not include HGV's for obvious reasons !

In summary, despite an imminent 40k service the car behaved very well & did everything I expected of it. It was smooth, quiet & comfy as well as plenty swift enough :)

Ironically, I found my MPG increased faster this weekend when sitting at 70mph in 5th for 10 miles whilst on the M5.

I was hoping to raise the DPF temps and force a regen but saw no sign of one taking place (never witnessed a regen on my car in nearly 2 years).

Mine has dropped dramatically recently (42 down to 38) so it's time to do my usual routine:

Clean Airfilter

Clean MAF

Inspect EGR

Reset ECU

On top of that, i'm going to change the fuel filter as it is now 4 yrs old.

• 3 weeks later...

i think i have found the problem its the cruse control as if im doing 80 i get bout 37-40 MPG but if i do 80 held on cruse i only get 31 hope this is of help to somebody

Cruise control uses another pump so actually reduces your MPG