Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 Mpg Problem

Adam Atchinson

I've not noticed any significant difference between CC and manual driving over similar roads at similar speeds etc.

I think the biggest factor (IMO) is the driving style. I'm not saying anyone on here thrashes their car, but I cleaned my air filter and reset the ECU a week ago, then drove 100 miles later that night, so there was reduced traffic and the flow was good.

I was able to see 46.8 MPG by the time i had done the return journey the next day in horrendous traffic on the return journey (2 hours to get there, 4 hours to get back!).

I just wish there was a way of knowing when the DPF cycle starts and how often. There doesn't seem to be a way of finding out even using a live data tool.

Well, after just a few months of owning my T180, I've gone and bought a Audi A3 TDI 140, the T180 will be up for sale soon.

Driving the A3 in the same manner which I drive the T180 sees 46mpg all day long. The A3 is a slightly heavier car and seems to have more power, no DPF on the car helps MPG no end. My back doesn't ache any more, the T180 seats were ultra hard, just didn't seem to fit me, or I didn't fit them :ermm: .

My Toyota experience has not been that exciting for me, I bought the car on a whim as it had all the toys and Sat nav, still lesson learned.

Just watch out for the well-known oil pump failure issue on those engines. The older 1.9 Tdi's don't seem to suffer the same problem.

Luckily the car has full history, bills, service record etc. been reading through it all and the water pump, cam belt and oil pump been changed already. Hopefully the oil pump change was precautionary and not because of failure.

I've had 2 VAG's with the 1.9 engine and they are bullet proof, the water pump on them was iffy so always changed along with the cam belt, unfortunately A3's with the 1.9 engines only come with 105bhp so it had to be the 2.0 with more puff to tow a car on a trailer. Towing with Auris resulted in mpg of 20, just couldn't live with that.

Yeah, I can understand that. I still think it's the DPF that kills the Auris MPG. I'd bet that if you took it off & were able to remap the engine to suit it would manage 50 MPG easily ! But having had an older shape A4 with the 1.9 Tdi engine, it managed 53 MPG overall.

Yes Buck, all cars with DPF's suffer now with low mpg or something going wrong, even the VAG 170bhp 2.0TDI's cars are having DPF and injector problems. I have noticed that some makers like Toyota are dropping the larger diesel engines, maybe because of the amount of complaints or the impeding Euro 6 emissions programme.

Toyota have decided to drop the bigger diesel engine because they've started a partnership with BMW. Toyota supply the germans with hybrid technology in exchange for their 2 litre diesel technology/engine. There's no doubt that the 320d has been a fantastic success for the Bavarians, it's their biggest fleet seller for a start.

• 3 weeks later...

37mpg on a run is the best I've had in 3 years, usually average about 35mpg

I've also been averaging between 36 and 38 mpg until now. However I've recently cleaned my EGR valve, MAF sensor and reset the computer (by disconnecting the battery). Since then I've been trying to drive more economically and so far so good. I'm averaging 41.5 mpg each day on my 10 mile commute to and from work (including some rush hour traffic).

Good result there John - will be interesting to see if it keeps this improvement up.

Thanks Paul,

I can't help but think these better MPG figures may end up costing more in DPF regen cycles (as I thought I could I could smell it taking place this morning in traffic)! As I haven't really noticed DPF regen cycles taking place until now.

I'll give a try for a while longer, as I want to see if Toyota's 45 MPG combined cycle is really possible. However I'll let you know how I get on.

Well after a fresh tank of diesel and a reset of the trip computer at the weekend, I managed an average of 45.6 MPG after a 10 mile journey through light traffic. Sadly I never took a photo and my MPG has since dropped like a stone. My trip computer is now back to showing an average of 38.6 MPG today.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links