Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D4D Hesitating With Loss Of Power

bluebones

hi all, was not expecting to be posting with a problem so soon as we only had this new car for 4 months, but here goes, its a 04 plate d4d rav4, everything was ok untill i used the car,i put my foot down when it was in 3rd gear and all is ok till it hits about 3k on the revs, then it starts to hesitate, and struggles to go past it, the thing is you wouldnt know there was a problem unless you floored it.

I have looked into it and found some info saying it could either be the EGR valve, or the SCV valve, the fuel filter is new so this is ok.

The thing is the EML has not come on so no fault code,but when we bought the car it had 6 months warranty but the EGR valve is not covered (what a surprise).

So does anyone have any idea what this could be before i start throwing parts at it?

thanks in advance,

Why not whip the EGR off and give it a clean? Low cost option to start.

yes open an EGR lid and evaluate content

ifi possible photo please

yes open an EGR lid and evaluate content

ifi possible photo please

will do ill get some pics up hopefully thursday, will see from there.

update to whats been done, ive had the EGR valve off it looked pretty clean but i still cleaned it with carb cleaner and looks like new now, so all been refitted and test drove it, the problem is still there, so am i right in guessing it now must be the SVC valve?

If so does anyone know where the best place to get these from and what sort of price im looking at.

thanks in advance.

post-115192-0-71795300-1343245131_thumb.

post-115192-0-51930500-1343245184_thumb.

just to add, does anyone have the part numbers for these?

rav 4, 5 door, 2.0l d4d, (04) plate

thanks again

check with smooth rotation of the turbo shaft + flexibility of the vanes.

do not touch SCV now

please revert with turbo test. undo intake rubber hose and try to both rotate and move the shaft in all directions.

cheers / Igor

Kingo can supply you with scv's. Just give him a call.

check with smooth rotation of the turbo shaft + flexibility of the vanes.

do not touch SCV now

please revert with turbo test. undo intake rubber hose and try to both rotate and move the shaft in all directions.

cheers / Igor

turbo is fine, i did look at it when i had the EGR valve off, spins freely and all hoses are good with no boost leak, so SCV valves is my next part to look at,

Kingo can supply you with scv's. Just give him a call.

thanks anchorman, ill give him a shout and see what sort of price he can come up with, and ill report back with some progress,

thanks

Hi, I have the exact problem with my 51 plate rav,the wife says its ok,but when I take it to 3000 rpm it hesitates and holds back.ive replaced the scv valves and the turbo,still has the problem,no falult codes and some times hard to start when hot..please help.

I had the same prob recently and cured it by replacing fuel filter and bleeding at the fuel pump

woody

Hi,have replaced fuel filter and housing with gen parts,still got the same problem.dont no what else to do.have put it on the diagnostic machine live dater, injectors are in tolerance guide lines.driving me mad as I love the rav.

Have you bypassed the VSV?

Have you bypassed the VSV?

who me? ive brought new svc valves so will be fitting these at the weekend, not sure what VSV is?

Its that little valve on a bracket at the air filter end of the engine. TBH I can't remember who I was replying to!!!

• 2 weeks later...

just an update to whats been going on, i had new scv valves fitted last week, and still no joy,so had someone else look at it and they swore blind the EGR was at fault, i had cleaned this only a few weeks ago, but i guessed it was the top electrical part at fault.

Surprise surprise new EGR fitted and still the same problem :giljotiini:

Im really hacked off with this car now as i have spent nearly £600 on parts and still no joy so can anyone shed some light on this?

thanks in advance people

been looking more into it :ermm: and does anyone think it could be the MAF?

what would be the symptoms of this no working?

surely there would be a fault code for this?

You have changed the fuel filter?

fuel filter was ment to of been changed when it was serviced in march, but will be changing it tomorrow for peace of mind.

After the fuel filter, make sure that link from the vac unit to the turbo is dead free and bypass the VSV with a bit of tubing.

changed the fuel filter today and still no joy, as for the VSV i have had a good look but unsure of what to do, ill put a pic up.

car is booked in with a garage to be plugged into a live data machine so will see if it picks anything up.

Just to the right of centre there is a little valve with 2 pipes on (there is something purple showing on the photo). Make sure you remember which is which and carefully wriggle the pipes off (don't snap the connectors). Find a bit of tube and connect the pipes together to bypass the valve.

See how it goes then look at that link on the turbo. It should so loose that it feels disconnected but with the inlet pipe off you will see the vaiable nozzle moving.

Once you have done all that see if there are any codes but to be honest I think you will be wasting your money so only do it if the others don't reveal anything.