Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 4.2 Rear Coil Springs; Weak Point?

bitman

Had to replace one snapped rear coil spring of our 2003 Rav 4 to get her through the MOT last Friday.

After replacing both springs I can see why they are snapping at the top. Have a look at the picture I made and you can see your self why.

P1020973.jpg

To me it looks a design fault as the still working spring is due to snap soon as corrosion is working it's way. The flattened top is rubbing against the under laying part of the spring damaging the paint hence corrosion and finally snaps off.

And the sharp edge of the open end of the spring creates a stress point where it rests on the coil when under load..................

The guillottine effect.....? Shear stupidity....?

The guillottine effect.....? Shear stupidity....?

So that is what happened to Zebedee. Often wondered .................. I knew someone who called their Nissan Micra Brian. Can't think why.... :-)

How often does this spring failure happen, though? Our 2003 D4D gets subjected to some pretty heavy loads (human and other), and over fairly unforgiving and unmade mountain tracks. It's never broken a roadspring, but did manage to shear its front anti-roll bar when just out of warranty. Examination showed a hairline fault running halfway through the steel, which had been there since manufacture. Perhaps all roadsprings are not perfect.

Chris

I wouldn't say a design fault, I don't sell the things on a daily basis, but have sold them from time to time

We forget how things were in the old days :eek: Coil springs break ocassionaly, old fasioned leaf springs failed every couple of years if not looked after, thankfully times have changed but we still have to accept that things will and do go wrong and break every now and again

Kingo :thumbsup: