Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aircon/recirculate

wornout

Hi all,

My car is going in tomorrow to get the speedo/fuel consumption thingy changed and when it was in there for a service last week I mentioned that whenever I switch on the engine, the aircon comes on or the recirculation switch or sometimes even both together. It just seems to default back to one, other or both even if I have parked up with everything switched off.

Toyota checked it last week but said it didn't happen when they switched the engine on and the computer didn't show up any problems.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

I also mentioned to them that the car has seemed to lose power for a split second on a few occasions but again they said it didn't happen to them and nothing showed up on the computer. I have now read on here about this happening to others and it being dealt with under warranty.

Do Toyota never acknowledge a fault unless it happens when they test drive or if their computer says so?

I suppose if it has been reported to them and it gets worse, they will have to deal with it under warranty even if it is outside the warranty date, or am I wrong on that score?

I suppose if it has been reported to them and it gets worse, they will have to deal with it under warranty even if it is outside the warranty date, or am I wrong on that score?

Wrong!

You must get the issued sorted out whislt it is still in warranty. The warranty period is what it is, (3 or 5 years depending on when you bought it) and not a day longer. It will cause you a lot less hassle if it is done INSIDE the warranty period otherwise Toyota just reject it, and there are a lot of hoops to jump through to try and get an out of warranty request paid for, gone are the days where the warranty was a bit flexible, and that goes for ALL manufacturers not just Toyota

Do Toyota never acknowledge a fault unless it happens when they test drive or if their computer says so?

To be fair to your dealer, If a fault does not show itself either as a code or does not present itself on test drive, it is very difficult to sort out, you have to be able to see what is going on o be able to get a handle on what is actually happening, see if you can leave it with them for a few days and give them the exact symptoms of what is happening, what time of day, temperature, weather conditions and anything else that COULD be relevent

I hear people every day saying, well it did that the day I picked it up, and here we are 3 years down the line and they have never mentioned it since collecting the car, honestly, get it sorted now whilst in warranty

Kingo :thumbsup:

My Re-circ button highlights every so often, but I'm guessing that since I have the blue dash mod I wont be claiming on this. ;)

Fish

The loss of power could be down to the EGR issue on the earlier cars.

Fish

The recirc comes on automatically I think depending on what you have the temp set to and on what the outside temp is.

Yes, As Mark said, My recirc automatically comes on if the outside air temperature is above a certain level. Never did it all through the winter but does now the warmer weather is here. I assume this is normal and probably helps cool the car down inside rather than sucking in warm air from outside.

My aircon seems to return to where it was when the engine was turned off. I rarely use it to be honest but when I do and leave it on when I turn off the engine it's on again when restarted.

Craig.

Thank you for your replies.

Well I took it in today and got a technician out to have a look at it. The desk clerk did ask if it would revert to recirculate automatically but the technician didn't seem to know. I think the fact that sometimes recirc and aircon come on together threw him a bit. I am pretty sure it has always done this, certainly for the last few weeks and until this week the weather has been dire so not sure about the outside temperature effecting it.

I mentioned again that it had, on a couple of occasions lost power and advised that only yesterday I was driving through a park with a 20 mph limit and the car was a bit chuggie. They rang and asked if they could keep it over night to do a bit more investigating. Will see what they have to say tomorrow and let you know.

Well, they didn't get to the bottom of it chugging and I told them I wanted it down on record that I had complained about it as I didn't want them refusing to do it under warranty if it became apparent that there was a problem.

The aircon/recirc is, as some of you have said, because of the outside temperature, it comes on if the temperature was set low and the temperature in the car is higher than the setting. They could not explain why aircon and recirc came on together sometimes. They did say that they only think that is how it works because the same happened on another car they were servicing!!!