Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dmf Knackered After 80000Miles

llith

Hi

First time for a long while on the forum . The dreaded DMF has been playing up on my 2005 Rav.Took it in for a 80000 service today.Spoke to the mechanic who offered an alternative option fron buying a new one approx £800 .He has welded the old flywheel together on some cars doing away with the springs and they have performed fine with only slight vibration.

Anyone on here done this ,has it worked ?

Regards

Sounds a bit dodgy to me - how does he ensure accurate alignmet of the parts and what stresses does the welding create?

Why not go for one of the SMF kits available? Bit more expensive but at least you would have some redress should there ba a problem in the first year.

There is so much labour involved at getting to the clutch I would at least fits a solid after market flywheel and know the jobs done for good. If you weld up the flywheel you may end up with it more out of balance than his previous fixes and have to live with an irritating vibration or redo the fix !!

Don't like the sound of this "welding up"! It would be essential to replace the DMF clutch/friction-plate with a standard (non-DMF) plate which is sprung --- otherwise there is no springing whatsoever in the clutch section: positively asking for trouble. Also concerned that the welded DMF might not run true, and will probably be put out-of-balance.

The risk is wrecked transmission, and possibly engine, components. In short, don't do it!

I must agree with Davrav - go for the SMF option (the Blueprint kit works, and is a decent price) - and get it done immediately.

Chris

No no no no no, that is soooooooooo wrong, a right bodge if ever I heard one!

DMF's are fitted for a reason, not just because they are the latest fancy idea

Kingo :thumbsup:

A solid flywheel fitted to an engine and transmission system designed to have a DMF can lead to gearbox bearing failure. The DMF is designed to smoth out the vibrations which otherwise would be transmitted to the mainshaft of the gearbox. Using the DMF system designers have been able to save money on gearbox design. Not necesarily a good step forward in my opinion

Thanks to all of you who replied.

I have decided to go with the welding option ,I know what that this does not make much sense to most of you.Job has been done and I collected the car on Thursday and drives fine.

Here are my thoughts as to why I went ahead with it.I bought the car new at £3000 off list price through an internet broker as I did not have a part exchange vehicle.Went for a Toyota for reliability and to be fair everything has been fine for the first 80000 miles apart from a few problems with SCV and cheap fuel.For the DMF to fail after 80000 is not good in my opinion when the car has not been used for any towing and has only been driven by one person,in fact the clutch had only worn down by about a third in thickness.It is a pity that the DMF did not fail at 30000 then it would have been done under warranty.Toyota really need to look at this issue as it is such an expensive item.

When I tried to part exchange the car 15 months ago against a new Freelander I was offered £6000 for it , now before the DMF problem I would have probably got £5000 for it.

I will now run the car to the ground so to speak ,if I get another 10000 miles before more problems then I would not be happy about it.If I get another 20000 I will be reasonably happy ,30000 very happy.Then finally when it packs up sell at an auction and buy a new car through an internet broker,probably not a Toyota.

Best regards

PS Will let you know if I get any problems in the near future

Welding up was still a crazy thing to do.

This saga is the stuff of nightmares.

I will try to forget I ever read it!

Please, don't anyone else be tempted to try this.

Chris