Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hid Kit 5000K - Fitted

AURISTR01

Fitted an aftermarket HID kit Today -H11 Bulb

Purchased from HIDS DIRECT £59.99

35W - 5000K Colour Temperature

Plug and play easy to fit just need to figure out where to secure the ballasts

Been for a drive no cars flashed at me neither does the beam overspill. I Went for 5000K temperature wanted it to look OEM and seems to work quite well. I understand it can become a problem at MOT but will cross that bridge when the time comes,as the Auris does not have headlamp washers or Auto-level adjustment. The standard bulbs were poor so I had to do something about it for safety reasons.

After fitting the kit here are the results let you have your opinions.

Dark road long road

Dipped beam - Highest level (furthest) - need to work on the adjustment but seems the best level so far without dazzling other drivers

IMG_1153.jpg

Dipped beam - Lowest level (Closest)

IMG_1154.jpg

Full beam - Furthest

IMG_1155.jpg

I had HIDs fitted, now removed as they interfered with the radio reception. Make driving at night a doddle!

Don't worry about the MOT, as provided the lights are of equal intensity and level they cannot fail you. The MOT does not check the types of bulbs fitted, retrofit or not.

Good job, AURISTR ! Big difference between HIDs and poor halogen bulbs, you drive at night more relaxed now. Also, your beam pattern seams to be OK. I have them fitted for almost three years and no problems so far and also changed high beam bulbs, I fitted Philips Blue Vision, they are very good for high beam at night and DRL (for daytime driving).

Crasstoe, I've had same problem with radio reception interferation; problem was one ballast, I changed it, then I had good radio reception with lights on, as well as lights off. Another solution for this problem is fitting an 1000...2000 uF electrolytic capacitor before each ballast.

Looks great! I agree that HID are better than halogen especially at night driving. Mine is fitted with 8000k for at least two yrs now. Never had any problem and never been flashed so far. But i thInk u need to change it back to halogen once MOT is due new rules on fitting HID especially aftermarket ones.

Thanks - yes personally think the HID kit should come as standard with the Auris but I guess now days its all about cost reduction and business profits. TOYOTA if your reading this be a little more generous! :clap:

I've had HID's fitted to mine for over a year.

Light on the road is improved massively, and nobody flashes at you as the projectors do a great job of keeping the light in the correct areas.

I had no problem at MOT time either and they went through without a mention.

Well worth the money IMO.

Its good to hear certain owners have already done the upgrade although I have 2 year warranty with the kit im just worried about thle ballast failing at the wrong time as hids direct have mixed reviews on the net. Despite me staying away from the cheap unreliable eBay kits I hope these ballasts last.

If your ballasts have proven reliable where did you purchase them from and at what cost?

Im running 5000k bulbs seems OEM but wish I had gone for 6000k hint of blue looks alot better but I hear it has reduced visibilty the further anything after 6000k?

My HID kit price was same as yours, arround 60 pounds, and I bought a ballast separately for around 15 pounds. Another ideea is buying another kit for using components as spare parts...

I got mine from eBay, can't recall the price, but probably no more that £40.

The ballasts have been very reliable so far. The only issue I have experienced is a result of having the 'Auto lights' turned on.

They work fine except when you get in the car and turn the ignition on in the dark, and the lights fire up. If you start the car straight away the starter kills the lights for a second or two, then they come back on again but only one side lights up.

There are two solutions. 1) Turn the headlights off then back to auto again and they both light up fine. 2) Allow the lights to light fully before starting the car. If they are just warming up when you start the car, then that is where the problem starts.

IMO, this is not a big problem and a little bit of patience prevents it.

I have 600k (Very slight blue) I think, and they light up the road fine. I find High beam to be a real let down on my car even with upgraded bulbs fitted. They have always been poor IMO regardless of what is fitted to low beam.

Another advantage to HID is that they are cheap. If you buy a pair of high powered halogens they are aprox the same cost as a HID set, and the replacement bulbs for a HID kit are cheap as chips in comparison.

Years ago I had spare bulbs in the car. During winter months I would fit brighter 500k bulbs, and in the summer I would go back to the blue-ish ones.

I got mine from eBay from HID DIRECT at 49£ with 8000k slim ballast. Didnt have any issue so far. Working well so far.

• 3 months later...

sorry to bump old thread, were did you guys fit the ballasts and did you need to drill the rear panel of headlight, i had hids fitted to my old leon but had to drill the rear panel also had two different sets over period of owning car and both interferred with radio which is putting me off trying them on auris

No drilling with mine, the ballasts are secured with the straight bracket it came with and a 10mm nut you can bend the bracket in shape so you can put it across the bar above the radiator. Use cable ties to secure it and prevent it from shaking around with engine vibration. No interfearnce with the radio either.

Driver side secured next to the washer bottle, and passenger side secured next to the fuse box.

Well worth the cost and effort & safety wise its much improved, I passed the MOT with no problem this year.

I installed the ballasts on their original places under the headlights. Stealth look FTW :)

I dont know how true this is but at the time of installation I was recommended to put the ballasts somewhere they would cool of as they can become very hot? is the reason why I put them in a place where there is abit of air to cool them also the engine plastic trim covers hide them anyway& not had any issues since installation.

• 3 weeks later...

3500k lights are yellow, very yellow!

The problem with 55w kits is the bulbs get that little bit hotter and have an ever so slightly smaller life cycle. 55w can also cause huge radio reception problems without a CANBUS filter in the Ballasts. Buy a decent kit and you'll be fine, however the brighter 55w lights will attract more attention, and will make you stand out a lot more to the Police.