Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Celica Ta22 Engine Swap

Ta22_chi

Hi all im about to purchase my very first classic car the celica ta22. The ideas are to swap the engine out for either the 3sgte or 2jzgte engines. Either way both engines are great. Now what i need to know is will i be using the existing celica gearbox on a 2jzgte engine? Or will i use the supra gearbox? Much help appreciated guys ^^

You will need the Supra box, Their is no RWD gearbox for 3sgte as far as I know.

thanks k20vfx for the reply. iv seen some ta22's with 3sgte engines on youtube unfortunately it doesnt mention anything about which gearbox they are using. is there anyway of finding out where i can find more information on this?

iv checkout toymod website but they want money for me to join their site?!

help needed guys!!

Had a look for you, most of them are from Aus or NZ. They use the W series gearbox W55 or W58 from the RA Celica series [RA28/RA40] but you'll need an adaptor plate and clutch.

Omg thank you so much!! I had a look around the net and ppl kept on talking about the w55 and 58 to but where and how will i get a Adaptor plate??! Man i havent started modding yet and its giving me a head ache already lol.

Iv seen a reconditioned w55 box from aus costing about £1400!! Damm!

Im not one for putting different manufacturers engines in different cars but seems like i might go down the sr20det route instead :(

Depends on how much power you want, I take it the TA22 has a 2TB engine with T50 box.

You could fit any 4AGE, 20V, 4AGZE and only have to change the bellhousing on your box for an AE86 one.

W55 & 58's are available here but you would probably have to source the adaptor from Aus or NZ.

Cheers iv source the bell housing already but trying to find a w55 is tough! Lol iv managed to find one all the way from aus reconditioned but dam expensive! £1400!!

Any hows im currently in looking for trd wide fenders or arches and cant find dem :( lol i know yahoo jp auction has them from time to time just not now lol

• 4 weeks later...

You will need the Supra box, Their is no RWD gearbox for 3sgte as far as I know.

Atezza RS200 had a Beams 3S.