Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor Initial Acceleration

paulybrad

Hi, I have an avensis 2.2 D-4D T4 on an 07 plate. Last week my acceleration from start position became poor. I get it serviced every year. Any ideas what could of just caused this.

It takes about 1 second to start to power away once my foot is fully floored. For the 1st second it is very sluggish.

egr valve gets clogged regularly, needs to be cleaned every 10k

• 2 weeks later...

Is it easy to clean the egr valve, will I need any special tools? Where is the location of the erg valve?

It would be great if somebody could give me step by step instructions ....

Thanks.

This item is so well covered on this forum.

Look for EGR faults,

No special tools required, 12mm spanner and 12mm socket with extension, 2 nuts and 4 studs. just check the guides as above, all gaskets are reusable no matter what anyone says(unless you damage them of course). the 2 studs holding the pipe onto the block can be just a little tricky to hold in position when trying to get them back in. The valve assembly catches on the engine as you lift it off(just wriggle it it will come).

Once off the main problem appears to be the three ports in the top of the manifold become sooted and clogged. At this point i grab the hoover and loosen the soot with a small screwdriver whilst i have the pointy end of the hoover hose in close proximity to where i am scraping.

Then flip the actual valve over and you will find it covered in soot, just clean it off as best as you can, i use a screwdriver, others may use carb cleaner or something like that but i dont see the need.

There is a valve in the middle of the assembly just us a screwdriver and gently lever the valve and make sure it opens, it is spring loaded and should snap back shut, it should also move smoothly, clean the soot off this as well as you can. Do not disassemble the valve assembly, it is not required. hope this helps a little

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for responding to my post. I cleaned the EGR valve and the three ports in the manifold. The car now runs just fine. Once again thank you.