Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1999 Avensis Starting Problems

Alan Batchelor

Hi

I have a problem with a 1999 Avensis (on a V plate). Been running fine since I bought it a year ago but over the past few weeks I have noticed a problem in starting it. Occasionally turn the key fully on and nothing happens apart from a 'ticking' sound inside the cab or a slight turn of the starter motor again with this ticking noise. After another turn of the key it fires OK.

This week after the car has been standing a few hours in full strong sunlight on two occasions the alarm has gone off for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Now when I try to start the car more often than not it either doesn't fire or turns briefly then stops - and the ticking noise.

Battery has been checked and passed and it was suggested that the starter motor is sticking. Although I don't know a great deal about cars I do know the 'click' of a starter that has jammed! To try to eliminate the starter we have left the car unlocked all day (thus unarmed alarm) and had 5 perfect starts.

When I had to lock the car I used the key in the driver's door so as not to arm the alarm. Had 1 good start but on the second unlock, had a brief stutter before starting and this noise which now sounds more like an electrical short. Every start after that was good but you could still hear a brief electrical noise. This is coming from behind the glove box and is definitely not under the bonnet where the start motor is.

As a non-mechanic I get the impression that it has something to do with the immobiliser.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

Thanks

Alan

Thanks ... I was looking at that but get the impression that when the switch goes faulty it simply won't do anything when it goes to the start position. What I am getting is either nothing or a short turn of the starter. On each of these occasions there is a definite electrical shorting noise coming from behind the glove box. Would a faulty ignition switch cause this? or is it more likely to be some form of sensor relay shorting out?

• 1 month later...

I thingk you are just hearing a relay chattering due to bad connection. the relay has a much faster responce time than the starter motor. Hence you hear it. Does sound like the switch again.