Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Unluckiest Rav Owner In The World?

RavFlyer

Actually I could shorten the title to just unluckiest driver in the world too!

The other day I was coming home on the M40 when the turbo on my 10 year old 1.9dci Megane decided to give up the ghost and sent the motorway foggy. The RAC took me to a garage which could replace the turbo quite promptly. Just one of those things I thought! First time I've broken down in 20 years!

Next day on the way home in the wife's Rav4 (04 80K 2.0L XT3) suddenly had power loss followed by lots of smoke. Unbelievable! RAC confirmed turbo had blown! Put on a flatbed and delivered to our local garage. Nothing for 20 years and two turbos in two days!

Anyway, garage rang to say that turbo had definitely gone and been replaced, but had we towed the car with the front end lifted ? No, I had replied it was carefully loaded on the truck. Well, seems the clutch has gone too and we can't work out any connection other than I am the unluckiest driver around.

Anyone ever heard of both clutch and turbo causing one or the other to fail? Looks like the DMF is ok, although he will check it on clutch replacement.

I bought both cars last year when I decided to go diesel for economy,.... could have bought a lot of petrol for the cost of all this work!!

Maybe I should have bought a lottery ticket that weekend too!

Cheers

Steve

Man, that is unlucky......................

Actually I could shorten the title to just unluckiest driver in the world too!

The other day I was coming home on the M40 when the turbo on my 10 year old 1.9dci Megane decided to give up the ghost and sent the motorway foggy. The RAC took me to a garage which could replace the turbo quite promptly. Just one of those things I thought! First time I've broken down in 20 years!

Next day on the way home in the wife's Rav4 (04 80K 2.0L XT3) suddenly had power loss followed by lots of smoke. Unbelievable! RAC confirmed turbo had blown! Put on a flatbed and delivered to our local garage. Nothing for 20 years and two turbos in two days!

Anyway, garage rang to say that turbo had definitely gone and been replaced, but had we towed the car with the front end lifted ? No, I had replied it was carefully loaded on the truck. Well, seems the clutch has gone too and we can't work out any connection other than I am the unluckiest driver around.

Anyone ever heard of both clutch and turbo causing one or the other to fail? Looks like the DMF is ok, although he will check it on clutch replacement.

I bought both cars last year when I decided to go diesel for economy,.... could have bought a lot of petrol for the cost of all this work!!

Maybe I should have bought a lottery ticket that weekend too!

Cheers

Steve

That is dreadful luck, Fella. But maybe you've got rid of all your bad luck in one go!

In view of the clutch failure & the garage's query, are you certain that the RAC "carefully loaded" it?

Was Rav driven onto flat bed or winched? Was it actual RAC or sub contractor? Some AA or RAC sub contractors have recovery vehicles with a very steep load level. If driving on with blown turbo lots of clutch slipping to try and keep revs/power up.

Worth pursuing if RAC used sub contractor with inferior equipment.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links