Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Wiper Motor Problem

ContraryMary

Wonder if you can shed any light on this. I have been over the forum looking at old threads, this is what we have done so far.

Yaris 5dr 1.0 52 plate (french built).

wiper worked intermittently then stopped working at all and just dangled.

Took wiper off

Motor still made a noise - googled found instructions on taking it apart to check the cogs inside for wear. They were shot. Using washers to increase height didn't work

Motor still made a noise.

Found 2nd hand motor, installed it - doesn't work. No noise from motor.

Put old motor back in - no noise from motor.

Checked fuses - all seems fine. And according to handbook the fuse controls all wipers and the front wipers are fine....just this the rear wiper being a PITA.

Any clues, advise or hints greatly appreciated. Also car is due its MOT very very soon, would not having this fixed fail the car? I have seen conflicting reports.

Cheers!

You may have a broken wire feed to the motor.

Easy check: wire a 12V bulb to earth and connect the other pole to the wiper motor feed wire. Switch on wiper. If the bulb works, wire is OK.

(You could also use a voltmeter of course)

Thank you - off to give it a go! Will update later :)

Wonder if you can shed any light on this. I have been over the forum looking at old threads, this is what we have done so far.

Yaris 5dr 1.0 52 plate (french built).

Wiper worked intermittently then stopped working at all and just dangled.

Took wiper off

Motor still made a noise - googled found instructions on taking it apart to check the cogs inside for wear. They were shot. Using washers to increase height didn't work

Motor still made a noise.

Found 2nd hand motor, installed it - doesn't work. No noise from motor.

Put old motor back in - no noise from motor.

Checked fuses - all seems fine. And according to handbook the fuse controls all wipers and the front wipers are fine....just this the rear wiper being a PITA.

Any clues, advise or hints greatly appreciated. Also car is due its MOT very very soon, would not having this fixed fail the car? I have seen conflicting reports.

Cheers!

You should have three wires to the motor. Terminal1. Blue/black, from 20A fuse, check for 12V. Terminal2. Blue/red from wiper switch this switches the motor by earthing terminal2. The third wire is an earth from the self park switch. Your fault is either no power at terminal 1. The column switch not earthing terminal2 when switched to the on position. A faulty self park switch. A duff motor.

Hope this helps . Rear wiper/washer is not a testable item for the MOT. The front wipers/washers are testable.

Regards Geoff Peace.