Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Check Engine Light = £2000 ?!

Wingergbr

Had the check engine light come on the other day on my 56 plate T180 and managed to get it into a dealer today and they have told me its the Catalytic Converter ?

Not covered under the dealers 1 year warranty I have .. £2000 for a new one including new sensors VAT etc.

Does this sound right !? I don't have the fault code yet ..

Are you meaning a Toyota dealer? I'd get the fault code/s and post here before any further action.........

Has it had the engine done?

Nope not had the engine done ..

I think I may well be out of luck with the Toyota 5yr / 100k warranty as its almost 6 years old .. Only 82k miles on it though.

Unless there is anything I am missing ?

The extended engine warranty is seven years or 112K miles so you are within limits.................

Another one bites the dust ............................

• 3 months later...

Have I been cheated?

My 2007 Auris T180, at 57,000 miles earlier this year (May) had this fault, P2002..

I quote what is written on my receipt.

"UPDATED ECU WITH LATEST INFORMATION

CLEANED OUT INLET MANIFOLD AND EGR REF CARBON BUILD UP.

DPNR PIPES BLOCKED - REPLACED PIPES AND ADAPTOR TO DPNR.

REPLACED OSF DRIVESHAFT REF DAMAGED THREADS.

OK ON TEST."

This was all done at no cost to me as I have a Toyota extended warranty... but surely I should have had a replacement engine? I have no idea how my dealer managed to claim on MY warranty for a driveshaft which THEY damaged though...

Yes, I know I should have questioned this a long long time ago - at the end of the day I guess my car is still working.. :unsure:

Have I been cheated?

My 2007 Auris T180, at 57,000 miles earlier this year (May) had this fault, P2002..

OK ON TEST."

This was all done at no cost to me as I have a Toyota extended warranty... but surely I should have had a replacement engine? I have no idea how my dealer managed to claim on MY warranty for a driveshaft which THEY damaged though...

Yes, I know I should have questioned this a long long time ago - at the end of the day I guess my car is still working.. :unsure:

Very much sounds to me like that engine was a candidate for much more investigation (which would have consisted of the oil consumption test mainly). Was all this done at a Toyota main franchise under an extended warranty...? If it was. it seems like a major deviation from the carbon build-up edict that he is well aware of IMHO.

Big Kev

Kev,

It was done at a main Toyota dealer yes. I suppose there isn't much I can do now, there appears to be no issue with the vehicle at present. (61,000miles). I'll just have to wait and see!

Phil

Have I been cheated?

OK ON TEST."

Under the extended warranty of 7yr/111946 miles Toyota cover three known issues:

P0400 - Blocked or faulty EGR - Depending on the age and level of modified parts fitted this is fixed with either a modified EGR, modified Injectors, modified Intake manifold, cleaning Or ECU reprogramme in any combination of the latter

P2002 - Blocked DPNR - Again Depending on the age and level of modified parts fitted this is fixed with either a modified DPNR,Modified 5th injector, Cleaning, Modified DPNR vacuum pipes, Forced regeneration or Ecu reprogramme in any combination of the latter

Excessive engine oil consumption - Again Depending on the age and level of modified parts fitted this is fixed with a Re-manufactured engine.

Having either of the first two issues is not a guarantee of having a replacement engine fitted as this can only be done when excessive oil consumption is measured, but they are a good indicator that you may have an oil consumption issue. If you notice you are using more than 0.5lt in 621 miles than this is excessive and needs a visit to your Toyota dealer asap.

Have I been cheated?

OK ON TEST."

Under the extended warranty of 7yr/111946 miles Toyota cover three known issues:

P0400 - Blocked or faulty EGR - Depending on the age and level of modified parts fitted this is fixed with either a modified EGR, modified Injectors, modified Intake manifold, cleaning Or ECU reprogramme in any combination of the latter

P2002 - Blocked DPNR - Again Depending on the age and level of modified parts fitted this is fixed with either a modified DPNR,Modified 5th injector, Cleaning, Modified DPNR vacuum pipes, Forced regeneration or Ecu reprogramme in any combination of the latter

Excessive engine oil consumption - Again Depending on the age and level of modified parts fitted this is fixed with a Re-manufactured engine.

Having either of the first two issues is not a guarantee of having a replacement engine fitted as this can only be done when excessive oil consumption is measured, but they are a good indicator that you may have an oil consumption issue. If you notice you are using more than 0.5lt in 621 miles than this is excessive and needs a visit to your Toyota dealer asap.

Good points well made, mate, but cannot help but add that it would all depend on the date his fault was originally reported, what edict was at that time in force, and I would wager more than a few engines were replaced without throwing up any of the two codes you quote, but they went straight to the "is your engine losing any oil sir? Let's do a check" scenario. I would rather not spell out my implication.....

Diplomatic Kev

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links