Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Please My 2004 Celica T Sport Wont Accelerate

funkyhouse

Hi

I have just bought a Celica t sport 2004 with 41k on the clock but I think there is something wrong with the acceleration and the performance is very poor. The car is very new looking and looks like the mileage is genuine judge by service history at toyota and the interior looks new.

I have just had a full service plus at a Toyota garage and they think it is fine but they never took it upto speed. Basically it is struggling to get to 6k rev's very poor pick up in gears 3 4 5 6. In 6th gear it wont exceed 5k revs and top speeds at 110 mph but takes a bit to get there. It picks up more in 6th gear than any other but stops around 100 then crawls to 110 mph and 5000 revs.

Gears one and 2 the engine makes a lot of noise but Im getting no drive I got left by a 1.6 ford focus embarrassing.

Love the car looks and handling but hate the performance. Any ideas please as I have not ever driven any other to compare but 7.2 to 60 and 140 top speed seems a long way away

I hear a lot about lift bolts but I not getting to 6k easily any idea's please

A cheap simple thing to try as a potential fix/test, is the following:

Clean MAF sensor

Reset ECU

Cost = Free

thank you I will see if I find it and I will have to find a garage to do the ecu thing

You just need to disconnect your Battery for a few minutes to reset the ecu and if I remember correctly it will put the ecu into learn mode for the first 50 miles so the car will adapt to your driving style

oh ok thank you can you advise were the MAF sensor is located? though I expect I can google it look online

cheers fella's

Although this is a 140, its in the same place on a 190.

Look at your airbox, now see that little bit at the top right of the airbox that is screwed into it the housing. It's that.

once again thank you I try both these things tomorrow should I just use a cl;oth to clean the sensor. Lastly when you say the ECU goes into learning mode for 50 hours or does that mean I need to get revved up a lot and drive fast through the gears over this time so it learns?

sounding a bit dumb I know

cheers

Use a cotton bud very gently along with some wd40 or something similar.

As for how to drive after resetting the ECU, just drive how you would normally.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links