Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Iq Model/years To Avoid?

Andy Clockwise

Hi I am seriously look at getting a used iQ 1.0L . I was considering an Aygo at first but they are very basic and when I saw the iQ was VED band A and it had some nice extras It's virtually convinced me. The smaller size is good too as in almost all my driving history I've never needed room for more than me and one passenger. Shopping bags are the largest things I carry these days.

When I bought my previous car (A 2002 Merc S320) I ignored people on forums when they said that was a bad model year and it would have many problems. I wish I had listened. So many things failed on it. It's currently on it's 3rd consecutive SORN.

Before I commit myself to an iQ are there any variations I should steer clear of?

I'm thinking of a manual. My last 6 cars have been autos but I'm thinking manual on a small car is a better option. Unless people here think the autos are great. I wasn't enamoured with the idea of the auto on the Aygo. Having to release the throttle when it changes gear seemed odd. Is the iQ auto box the same type or a proper auto?

I'm thinking of spending about £7500. From what I have seen there are some decent used ones for that price.

You are sensibe to make such an enquiry, certainly about the IQ as there have been many recalls and some issues that should have been dealt with by recall, but were not.

I would say go for the latest model you can afford and certainly not earlier than mid 2011, or at least one of the "updated" ones which were made with all the recall issues fixed and an updated EGR valve, which can cause problems on the earlier cars.

Of course an earlier car with all the recalls done and the EGR valve updated could be significantly cheaper, if you can find one.

I have a manual. It does the job, no complaints, but have never tried an auto.

Try to get a test drive of both on the sort of roads on which you will be using in normal use.

Others will be along to give more specific advice I'm sure, but I hope that is of some use.

John

Thanks Johnan, that's given me something to think about and to ask about when looking at some cars in the next week or two.

I'm only going to be buying from a main dealer so hopefully they should know or be able to check those things.

I want an iQ2 so will be struggling I think on my budget to get one as new as that but as you say, if it's had the recalls done then it should be ok. I will do some research on those and the EGR.

I think I am decided on the manual now. Mainly because of the 99g/km rather than 110g/km. I know it's only £20 per year tax, but I like the idea of ZERO tax :) Plus zero congestion charge. The whole point of me getting one of these is to keep running costs down. I think the look on people's faces when they hear zero tax is worth changing gears for :)

Thanks Johnan, that's given me something to think about and to ask about when looking at some cars in the next week or two.

I'm only going to be buying from a main dealer so hopefully they should know or be able to check those things.

I want an iQ2 so will be struggling I think on my budget to get one as new as that but as you say, if it's had the recalls done then it should be ok. I will do some research on those and the EGR.

I think I am decided on the manual now. Mainly because of the 99g/km rather than 110g/km. I know it's only £20 per year tax, but I like the idea of ZERO tax :) Plus zero congestion charge. The whole point of me getting one of these is to keep running costs down. I think the look on people's faces when they hear zero tax is worth changing gears for :)

Yes it always feel great when the yearly DVLA letter comes and my normal reaction is "Oh my god it's not that time again is it?" and then I realise there is nothing to pay!

It is not a lot of money difference and if people really like autos it is a small price to pay, but it still great not to have to pay anything at all!

good luck with your car hunt.

John

The zero congestion charge only comes in for cars registered AFTER July 2010 and will be for the iQ and iQ2 models. This is when they changed to the EURO5 standard.

Fish

Andy,

The IQs to look for are the Euro5 standard ones as Fish has said, which are the revised models.

I thought they were introduced early in 2011 but perhaps it was earlier than that which means they may be available more cheaply.

You can tell which are which in a showroom as the later ones have a lever on the side of the drivers seat for adjusting the height, which is not present on the earlier models.The interior trim colours are also different.

John

Thanks for the additional into. I would have been upset to miss it by a month :)

I went to the dealers in Nuneaton this morning and had a look. Only an iQ and two iQ3 used in stock.

Looking on the Toyota website it looks like you can get a brand new iQ2 for £232 per month. If that's right then that could well be an option.

At least I have sat in one now and I was really surprised at the amount of space. I am not a small person (short but wide) and I was still rattling round like a dried pea in a tin :)

Yup, they are exceptional cars for their size.

I had a new Yaris as a stand in while my IQ was in service last week, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would after 4 years of having an iQ.

No contest!

John

Went in to the dealers today to get one. Had a decent test drive in a 1ltr IQ2 first just to make sure it wasn't going to be really bad for me :) I've seem many people complaining on youtube. They must be comparing them with BMWs or something.

I was blown away by how it performed. They let me take it out for half an hour. It was very nice. I couldn't fault it.

Because of the 0% finance at the moment on new ones it seemed a better option.

I was in two minds about the colour. I originally wanted Blue but looking on the Toyota site they don't do blue now. I asked the sales person and he went off and said they have located one up at Arnold Clarke in Paisley. Apparently it's the last Blue one in the country. Does that mean it's going to be an old one that been hanging round for 12 months? He said there were no Burnt Orange in the country and all that was available was Silver or Grey or that blue one. Does that sound believable?

Just had a quick look on the Toyota website, there are 37 used island blue Toyota IQs in the country, 16 of those are less than a year old and 4 of those have less than 1000 miles.

Obviously I dont know if those are close by to you as I dont know your postcode, but if your looking for a used model or you specifically want blue, then make sure you look on the Toyota website.

Hope this helps?

Sally

Are the 2013 models now being supplied or available for order, or is it still 2012 models if you order new now and have a 'Build' done to your spec?

Blue looks great, & i have not seen many.

Just as for Autotrader.

There is only 1 Blue showing nationally with under 100 miles on it.

Thats a 1.3 12 plate with 50 miles.

9 other Blues advertised with under 5,000 miles.

Remember when going to buy new that they might be4 keen to get First Registered before the end of the month on a 12 Plate.

So look to get a keen price on that.

September & a new Registration & you could expect to be paying more & and Dealership or Manufacturer having to order a build, or register a Vehicle in Stock into the New Registration.

By the same measure,

any 'Used vehicle' sitting on a Forecourt for sale now might cost you a bit less next month rather than buying this month.

All down to Supply & demand and waiting times really.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk

http://www.broadspeed.com

george

Hi Andy

Not sure if this is of any use to you, but Charles Hurst Toyota in Belfast have a pre-reg Island Blue iQ1 with 33miles on it for £9500. They also have a silver pre-reg one at their Newtownabbey branch with 26 miles on it.

We didn't buy either, as my wife specifically wanted orange but I do know from talking to them they are looking to move both of them so I guess £9k might buy either.

Re-registering in England is a simple 1-form process to get it back onto an English 12 plate, or you can leave the reg as it is.

Thanks for the input. I'm set on new now. I've never had new before. This is my chance to get one with out any surprises down the back of the seats :)

I will be speaking to the dealer again tomorrow.