Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E Pulling To The Left

Delboy141184

Ok,my Carina E (1.8 lean burn) is pulling to the left.I just assumed it would be either incorrect air pressure or the tracking been out so had both checked at 2 different garages and they can confirm the tyre pressures are good,and the tracking is 100% perfect.

the tyres are like new,the wheels are not buckled or damaged.i did swap the 2 front tyres around to see if the problem persisted and it still pulls to the left.

I had a look at the last MOT certificate and it did state that the nearside lower ball joint had slight play in it so ive checked the ball joint and it does have some play.I am now thinking that this is what is causing the pulling and the 2 garages have both said the same thing.

My question is this....how do you change the lower ball joint on a Carina E? i have plenty of tools and some mechanical knowledge.i do not have a pickle fork/ball joint separator but could buy one no problem.The ball joint is available on eBay for around £10-£20 but i would be changing both lower ball joints on each side just as a matter of caution.

Is this something i can do myself? if some one could explain what steps i should take to change the lower ball joints i would be very much appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

All you have to do when you get to the point of removing it if yer wana save money on a tool !! is to hold a hammer against one side of where the ball joint tapers in to the track control arm and hit the other side of it, with a bigger or better still a small lump hammer and it will shock it out of its taper fit. Hope that makes sense?

got them replaced,had tracking re done,still pulling to the left???

Try swopping the front wheels over could be a tyre off line a bit?

sorry should have mentioned,ive done that already,basically,the tyres are like new all round,the air pressures are good,the wheels are not buckled or anything,the tracking has been checked 3 times and is bang on,new lower ball joints fitted this morning,and no un towards noises from front end which if you ask me eliminates any suspension components failing?

ruins a great ride it does.....

If there wasn't any pulling to the left when you first had the new tyres fitted Then i guess there is no problem there. But altohough you say you have done that No harm in doing it again!?

If the rear tyres are uneven, then maybe the rear tracking wants looking at. Is there any play in the front suspension struts when you feel through the springs to the chorme piston bit moving the wheel at the bottom for play like you would for the ball joint?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links