Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol Issues

doberav 4

Hi All,

I am a newbie and i was pointed this way to try and get help on my very poorly Rav4.It keeps cutting out and i have to sit there till it cools down and i can try again.It is holding temp and not overheating.But the issue is i took it to the garage and cos they couldnt plug it in they are not interested!!!! I bought the car a week ago now and when i got it,the petrol was bone dry nearly,i put £60 of Shell Otimax in it the high octance stuff. Does anyone think that i may have dragged all the shiot up from the bottom of the tank? Or something else.Its a 94 Rav, need help if any one could be so kind.

I doubt it if it is temp related. Lift the bonnet while the engine is running and see if you can see any arcing anywhere.

After that I would start thinking about coil packs etc. What kind of ignition system has your car got?

This would certainly suggest an electrical problem. As Don says, have a look under the bonnet, especially when it gets dark! Also, If you have dragged some muck out of the tank, then as the car runs, it could be pulling the muck in to the fuel filter, and stopping the car due starvation. As it cools, the muck slips back, so then it will start again. I am not sure if your car is a carb model, but again, there are things in carbs that can get blocked. Normally petrol RAV's are very reliable, and I am sure that when you have an answer, you will enjoy the car.

There is a bulkhead mounted filter on the early ones so it might be worth changing - it could be causing starvation under load.