Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intermittent Power Supply At Cig. Lighter Outlet

bruce e

Has anyone experienced a similar problem.

When I plug in my Tom Tom gps using the usb adaptor plugged into the cig. lighter outlet it powers the gps, as you would expect. After say 10 minutes the power supply terminates ( ie. no green light on the usb adaptor ) Sometimes it will come back on after a short period. I at first suspected a loose connection but all seems good. Any thoughts?

Further to the above...........It went off again after about 10 minutes. After coming to a stop I turned the ignition off completely (ie AUX key position also off), turned key back to Aux & hey presto power supply was restored to cig lighter socket..................but for how long??????????????

Any thoughts as to the cause would be appreciated.

When it goes off have you tried leaving everything exactly as it is and removing the USB adapter plug and trying the original lighter to see if it heats. Have you anything else you can power via the socket as a test. Is the socket illuminated ? If so does the illumination go off when the problem occurs ?

My instincts say this is a connection issue somewhere and not a fault as such.

Are you 100% sure it's the socket and not the plug in adaptor for the GPS?

Have you tried anything else powered from the same socket to make sure it definitely is the socket?

Apologies, realised Mooly has asked/suggested the same! :P

When it goes off have you tried leaving everything exactly as it is and removing the USB adapter plug and trying the original lighter to see if it heats. Have you anything else you can power via the socket as a test. Is the socket illuminated ? If so does the illumination go off when the problem occurs ?

My instincts say this is a connection issue somewhere and not a fault as such.

Thanks for the reply. I did wonder if the usb adaptor was u/s but alas I tried another gps that plugs directly into the cig socket (no adaptor) & that was dead too. I do not think that this is just a loose connection, was more wondering if there is a cut out in the circuit to prevent the cig. socket from being used as a permanent 12v power supply.

Does anyone power their gps from the cig. socket without having similar problems?.

I've never had any problems powering a sat nav from either a cig lighter or just an auxiliary socket. The amount of current drawn, particularly using a cig. lighter socket should really not cause any cut out or fuse problems.

Most odd!

If another device is also dead in the socket then that does point to a problem... but I still can't really believe it tbh.

Back to the beginning... is this problem of going off happening when the engine is running or just when the ignition is on ?

If another device is also dead in the socket then that does point to a problem... but I still can't really believe it tbh.

Back to the beginning... is this problem of going off happening when the engine is running or just when the ignition is on ?

Happens when the engine is running & is not related to stop/start. Today it happened when on the M Way

Based on all you say I would say this needs investigating. How that is done depends on what you have available.

I still think you should try the original lighter in the socket when it goes dead. That takes seconds, is a guaranteed fit in the socket and should always work.

Thinking daft thoughts and trying to cover every possible scenario... surely the socket isn't on a timed relay and they don't want you to light up into a journey and so isolate the socket... but that sounds like a typical EU safety directive.

With electronics (I'm an electronics tech), its easy to build as many features as you want into a system. Could the socket sense continuos power draw and disconnect as a supposed means of preventing Battery discharge. Surely not though :)

What would I do. I'd first try the lighter as mentioned. And ask a dealer as they see customers daily with all sorts of issues. Just ask !

Then I would rig a test lead to plug into the socket and a low current LED to see if that went out when driving around.

My instincts still say it won't (the car) be faulty but this is intriguing....

Remove cigarette lighter socket (somewhere here in forum, procedure can be found), then check the fuse (to be properly held in place) that is located at under dash fuse panel, check the + terminal (with a control lamp) taking minus from the body; it's possible lighter socket minus terminal to not be ok, thats way I told you take another minus directly from the body...

Here is wiring diagram:

cigligh.jpg

I'm investigating all conspiracy theories, especially those for the EU (they don't want you to light up into a journey and so isolate the socket... but that sounds like a typical EU safety directive. )

& Tavy, thanks for the wiring details

Investigation in progress

If you decide to to do another feed for your TOM TOM remember you must use the original charging lead as the sat nav runs on 5 volt.

Using 12volt with cook the unit.

If you decide to to do another feed for your TOM TOM remember you must use the original charging lead as the sat nav runs on 5 volt.

Using 12volt with cook the unit.

Thanks Acetip, very interesting. As the cig lighter is 12v I'm assuming that the Cig.lighter/usb adaptor that attaches to the tom tom charging lead is in fact also a transformer stepping down the voltage from 12v to 5v. Thanks

Problem identified, although the Tom Tom usb adaptor is illuminating when placed in the cig lighter socket it is not providing any power output ( illumination is do to "residual"?? earth connection.)

Popped into local Toyota dealership, who also service the car, at 3pm & 15 minutes later I was on my way home after having the fault identified (faulty cig lighter outlet) & the part ordered. Now that is what I call good service (Farmer & Carlisle, Leicester)

Just hoping that this will be covered by the extended warranty!

Latest Update:

Part in & being installed this afternoon & yes it is covered by the extended Toyota warrenty.

Good on ya Toyota!

• 8 years later...

my cigarette lighter is glowing orange when i plug in my adapter for phone or radio converter

do you know what this is is it safe??

8 hours ago, Dovid said:

my cigarette lighter is glowing orange when i plug in my adapter for phone or radio converter

do you know what this is is it safe??

What is actually glowing orange? Is it not just illuminated with a ring of orange plastic around the outside?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links