Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Touch & Go Free Map And Software Update Now Available

tone_uk

Just in case anyone with a 2012 model Prius is interested - Toyota have released a free map and software update to download via the Toyota Touch & Go PC App.

Software update takes us from v1.7.3 to v1.7.4 (no change log so I can't tell you what's new yet) and is quite small in size.

Map update is for whole of Western Europe and weighs in at a chunky 4.1Gb

With T&G systems Toyota include 3 yrs of free map updates - it's nice to see one so soon :)

• Like 2

With T&G systems Toyota include 3 yrs of free map updates - it's nice to see one so soon :)

It is good to see that Mr T has learnt from the mistakes of the ridiculous update process for the hard drive 2009 Prius satnav

However, it also shows that he is repeating the mistakes of the Weasel Warranty once again in continuing to charge the best part of £200 for updates to our satnav systems. I guess your turn will come after the three years, when you discover that the price of an update is £250 or so to claw back the lost income from the free period!

Rant over, but I do have a touching faith in Toyota GBs attitude towards its existing customers.

Just a few more details ...

1) It takes approx 40mins to install the updates from the USB stick onto the Prius!

2) Software version is now v1.7.9H and not v1.7.4 as previously stated

3) Maps are now dated as 11th June 2012 (EUH20120611)

4) From watching the install progress - it looks like this updates the GraceNote database too.

No visible differences noted so far, and we still have a € instead of a £ on fuel price input screen. Maybe the next update will address this :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just applied the update to my new Prius Gen 3 T-Spirit. A couple of adds to Tone_UK's details...

To do the update, you first have to download details from the car onto your USB stick.

During the download, for some unknown reason, the USB stick dismounted from my laptop so the download stopped (three times!!),. When I re-mounted the USB, the toolbox software insisted that "Something has changed" and so I had to repeat the download from the car (which seems to take ages!). Fortunately the Toyota Toolbox software was keeping track of how much had downloaded, so did not start from the beginning again at each restart (though this could have been because I'd ticked the "advanced option" for "keep download cache"). Bear in mind that it takes several hours to download 4GB if you only have a 2MB internet connection.

After the map update, the toolbox decided that it had further updates to apply (quick download this time, and not much to load) HOWEVER this seems to put an ISO file onto the USB (swdl.iso) - this is a disk image that contains any software updates for the car. The car takes time mounting and reading the ISO file whenever it starts (just in case there are any new updates) - so I'd recommend, once you've done the update, copying the ISO file from the USB stick and onto your computer and deleting it from the USB... (unless, of course, you have a memory stick just for doing software updates! I don't - I bought a 32GB USB for the car - to do map updates AND to hold my iTunes library).

As mentioned above, I've copied a 23GB iTunes library onto a USB stick - the car has no trouble handling this (claims to be able to see about 1100 different music tracks).

I just hope that in future, Toyota provide a facility for selecting which map updates are needed - I don't see myself taking the car across Europe, so I'd have been happier just updating the UK map.

I use Macs: can anybody tell me if I can download from a Mac, or does it only work with PCs? Also, can the files be downloaded to a portable hard disc which can be connected by USB?

Don't know about a MAC version of the software (Don't think I have seen reference to any) - take a look at the Toyota web site & see if there is anything there https://customerportal.toyota-europe.com/public/Login.aspx?languageid=EN-GB

Re plugging a disk into the USB port - I tried this but with no luck - the power drain from the disk drive was too much for the interface (in fact it displayed an error message telling me as much). It may be that you have a USB disk with a low enough power requirement... but to be honest, you can buy a 32GB USB stick for under £15 so my view was that I may as well buy the memory stick for the car and use it for both map updates and as an in-car music library.

• 3 months later...

Can someone please post a link for the application please, I cannot find it on the customer portal. All the instructions just don't seem to match the site.

Any help would be appreciated as the maps that came on my car in September were over a year old then.

Local dealer has not worked out how to do the update either.

Try here, http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/frame_start.jsp?id=Owners-Info-TouchGo register yourself & the car, download some software which will work out what updates you can have, copy any updates to a usb and then insert said usb into car.

Devon

• 1 month later...

I have a Touch and Go in my Hybrid Yaris (62 plate) and just wondered where downloaded apps go on the Touch and Go, downloaded the weather app earlier, plugged the usb in, said its downloaded but i can't see where it is - probs somewhere simple!

• 1 year later...

I have a Touch and Go in my Hybrid Yaris (62 plate) and just wondered where downloaded apps go on the Touch and Go, downloaded the weather app earlier, plugged the usb in, said its downloaded but i can't see where it is - probs somewhere simple!

Top left Calls/App button and then you need to scroll down to see installed apps.

• 8 months later...

I have made a fingerprint on a USB 32GB storage. On my PC I have the Toyota Touch & Go Toolbox. I checked and found there is a Europe map update to download. I need some advice please:

Do I use the same USB with the fingerprint I have just progranmmed to store the downloaded map update on or do I need a separate clean USB ie with no finger print?

When I install the map update on the car do I need the engine running the whole time?

I notice several members have had trouble downloading maps so any advice would be much appreciated. My car is a Prius T spirit 2014 model.

On an Avensis you use the same USB with the fingerprint. & yes, you need the engine running the whole time (on my Avensis the last update took ~1hr ... :disgust: ).

Thank you for the reply. That is what I will do. Next week my PC broadband speed is being increased so I will do the download then.

Appreciate your help. Thank you.

... yes, you need the engine running the whole time ...

I am not trying to be funny here and I'm definitely not trolling, I just want to understand the reason why, but does anyone know the reason why you have to have the engine running to do the map updates?

the radio shuts off after 30 mins i think so the update would then cancel

if you just have the ignition at "Accessory" it will automatically switch off after ~30 minutes (to stop the Battery being run down). That would stop the update mid-way & possibly brick your satnav ... :death:

You don't have to have the engine running all the time on the Prius, but it does have to be in READY mode (power button LED not lit), so that it doesn't switch itself off before the update has finished and brick the T&G.

According to the Prius+ manual, page 210, "Changing the "POWER" switch modes"

If you put the car in Accessory mode (power button LED amber), it will switch itself off after 20 minutes.

If you put it in ON mode, i.e. 2 presses of the power button without pressing the brake pedal (power button LED still amber) and leave the shifter in P it will switch itself off after an hour.

The 2010 Gen 3 would switch itself off after an hour in both cases, I don't know if the 20 minute off in accessory mode only applies to the Prius+ or if it's the same with the later Gen 3.

I do not think I will risk it shutting down so I will keep the engine running for the whole update. I did read on another thread that one PIP owner had problems and his sat nav had to be reprogrammed by the dealer after trying to install a map update.

Will this work on my 2010 Gen3 Tspirit?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe on the 2010 model Toyota introduced the Nav system with a HDD for the Nav maps. If this is correct, then you can only get the updates done by your Toyota dealer.

The update method being talked about in this thread is for the Touch & Go (and later variants) that Toyota introduced a bit later.

I can confirm that not only does the car have to be in "Ready" mode, but if it's a PiP then it also has to have the charge lead unplugged and the charge door closed, and have eco and EV mode switched OFF (by default the PiP starts in Eco and EV mode normally, irrespective of the mode it was in when turned off). As a failsafe I'd turn the heater on, just to be absolutely certain the car doesn't shut down part way through the upgrade. If I was being really paranoid (and I'm afraid I am when it comes to doing this upgrade now) then I'd sit in the car and make damned sure it stayed in Ready mode by switching things on and off to keep it thinking it needed to keep powered up.

Trust me, you do NOT want to brick the Touch and Go when doing this. I bricked the Touch and Go Plus in my PiP and was stuck with the car in the dealers for 48 hours whilst they sorted it out! My problem was that I left the charge lead plugged in, and although I'd started it up into Ready mode (foot on the brake and press the button) and the car clearly displayed "Ready" on the display, it still shut down part way through the update and bricked the thing.

• Like 1

Will the dealer do a "free" update, during a service on a 2013 T Spirit????

Will the dealer do a "free" update, during a service on a 2013 T Spirit????

I would check as the download is linked to your cars navigation id ( To prevent piracy and to confirm you are actually due a f.o.c update ) so the dealer cannot pre download the update and the file size is pretty large so it could take hours over a company's networked internet connection. At my dealer the download can seriously slow our network so I have to reserve the download via out IT dept who run it out of hours to avoid issues.

On Touch & Go the whole process is designed to be carried out by the driver as every download is linked to the customers individual My.Toyota login and vehicles navigation I.D

Does anyone know what this latest download actually does/includes?

Is it just a Sat Nav update of junctions/roundabouts etc. or is there more to it?

I did mine this morning (it took the best part of an hour) and I can't see anything different.

As far as I can make out on the Toyota T & G toolbox, it's just a Finland map update.